The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
26 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Absolutely not what I am suggesting, just stop being repetitive and boring.

So I’ve to stop responding to anyone(like yourself) who refutes anything I say? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

For me, any talk of getting rid of McGlynn is a bit nonsense. He's steadied the ship after the utter shambles of the last 2/3 years. He has had to clear out a load of leftover dross (cheers G. Holt) and there is still some lingering about.

Next year will be the first proper side in his image. Even if we stay down...what's the alternative? Bin him and bring in yet another inexperienced coach/ex-player/has been/never was? Anyone willing to say he should be sacked should back it up with at least one genuine candidate to replace him.

Robbie Neilson? 

11 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

For me, any talk of getting rid of McGlynn is a bit nonsense. He's steadied the ship after the utter shambles of the last 2/3 years. He has had to clear out a load of leftover dross (cheers G. Holt) and there is still some lingering about.

Next year will be the first proper side in his image. Even if we stay down...what's the alternative? Bin him and bring in yet another inexperienced coach/ex-player/has been/never was? Anyone willing to say he should be sacked should back it up with at least one genuine candidate to replace him.

Ian McCall, although @Shodwall cat has alluded to some issues behind the scenes was the real reason for his sacking at PT, what that was I haven't a clue. He was still a great manager for us.

FWIW I think Falkirk would be mad to bin McGlynn if you don't get promoted this season. I know it'll sting but there's a good chance he get rid of any deadwood still at the club, makes more of his own signings and you guys go on to win L1 next season. Say you don't go up, it's going to be one of Arbroath, Accies and Cove that come down. All three are smaller clubs, smaller budgets etc and I wouldn't fancy any of them going straight back up. And who's going to come up, Stirling Albion. Mix that with the rest of the middle of the league teams and I think Falkirk will win that division, If Airdrie go up then you won't have them to deal with either. Change the manager and it's back to square one.

19 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Steering the topic away from the now tedious M&M vs. McGlynn posts which prove the old Ebbe Skovdhal quote quite well ...

Does anyone know the clubs position on the B-team shenanigans happening at the moment and likely voting intentions?

I'd hope we've sounded out our tenants the Shirey-pirey for their views.

As a supposed fan owned/led club then you would hope the board/club would vote against this proposal. 2 bigoted clubs trying to force through more changes to the league structure just to benefit no one but themselves, surely we as fans should be debating this more and since board members either read this forum or friends of the board clearly do then you would hope the clubs position could be clarified. My view is the idea can get in the sea 

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Ian McCall, although @Shodwall cat has alluded to some issues behind the scenes was the real reason for his sacking at PT, what that was I haven't a clue. He was still a great manager for us.

That was over twenty years ago.

Long past his prime and probably more trouble than he is worth anyway.

47 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

True enough, McPake had the temerity to lose a league game this season. 

In all seriousness, I think the worry for Falkirk fans would be that the second half of the season followed a familiar pattern to his Raith teams. They would often start the season well, go into a slump in the winter time (either because other teams figured him out, the pitches weren't as good, or due to injuries piling up) then there would be a wee improvement (usually when playing a different formation for a game or two) before the season kinda fizzled out. Now you may have enough quality in the squad to go through the play offs this time, but even if you go up I can see folk calling for his head come November/December next year.

I'm not sure this season really followed that pattern tbh, our 10 wins out of 11 run came between end of December and mid March. There has been some really disappointing performances before and since laced with some positive stuff. We'd be mad to bin him even if we lost the playoffs but pressure would be extremely high next season. We've seen full time teams such as yourselves and Partick come down here and have skoosh the league - next season we should now be hoping for similar. 

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

That was over twenty years ago.

Long past his prime and probably more trouble than he is worth anyway.

Ian McCall, aged 58, past his prime.

John McGlynn, aged 61, fine.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Suspect you’ll now get red dotted for having the temerity to directly rebut a point with a stat. 

Would it not be more accurate to compare McGlynn to the guy he replaced rather than M&M? You'd be as well comparing him with John Haggart or Eddie May! 

It may well be the case that the current BOD feel that the previous one didn't give M&M enough time and don't want to repeat their mistake?

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Would it not be more accurate to compare McGlynn to the guy he replaced rather than M&M? You'd be as well comparing him with John Haggart or Eddie May! 

It may well be the case that the current BOD feel that the previous one didn't give M&M enough time and don't want to repeat their mistake?

Am I mistaken to say he was described as being miles better than any previous incumbents for the last number of years so not just Rennie?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
21 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Almost as daft as expecting us to be able to convince Jack Ross to take over last summer.

What would have said if I mentioned James McPake last Summer? What if I said Owen Coyle last January or Lee Bullen?

People want names as it’s easy to mock. Someone good will never come to us, someone just been sacked isn’t good enough. The choices are slim but doesn’t mean to say there aren’t better out there. You’d need to speak to people within the game to make a more balanced judgement.  

Sure a lot on here wanted Brian Rice previously. 

All I know is I don’t personally trust McGlynn to take us forward. 

There was chat about building a squad but who will that be built upon? McCann, Donaldson have shown enough good as well as bad. Morrison might be away in the Summer and I’m not sure I’d want to keep paying decent wages for McGinn for another season. Henderson will do for me but it’s not a big building block to suggest we’re on the cusp of something. Almost need to rebuild a whole team again. 

20 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Am I mistaken to say he was described as being miles better than any previous incumbents for the last number of years so not just Rennie?

This season is the only season I've managed to remotely enjoy really since Houston. That's what it's all about for me in the first place and I think the majority of fans would agree. 

So you can ram your stats. Utterly boring. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

What would have said if I mentioned James McPake last Summer? What if I said Owen Coyle last January or Lee Bullen?

People want names as it’s easy to mock. Someone good will never come to us, someone just been sacked isn’t good enough. The choices are slim but doesn’t mean to say there aren’t better out there. You’d need to speak to people within the game to make a more balanced judgement.  

Sure a lot on here wanted Brian Rice previously. 

All I know is I don’t personally trust McGlynn to take us forward. 

There was chat about building a squad but who will that be built upon? McCann, Donaldson have shown enough good as well as bad. Morrison might be away in the Summer and I’m not sure I’d want to keep paying decent wages for McGinn for another season. Henderson will do for me but it’s not a big building block to suggest we’re on the cusp of something. Almost need to rebuild a whole team again. 

Who?

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Not all about age ( thankfully for me! ) but career progression, it could also be argued that McGlynn is past his peak.

To be clear I am no McGlynn fan boy, didn’t want him to get the gig and get very frustrated at times by his selections and tactics but talk of replacing him is ludicrous.

McCall would not be a good move even if we were looking for a manager.

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Suspect that you are wrong and still terminally tedious.

Was tongue in cheek but thanks. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Who?

Not going to keep giving names so you can try mock them amongst others. Had enough.

This question always gets asked but there are always better managers out there and never in the past number of years have we regretted getting shot of anyone. You want to back McGlynn then I’ve no qualms with that. I’m not on here demanding you to think the same.