The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He has only ever won L2, and that was 14 years ago!!!!!

Aye, but he’s been promoted twice. There was that time in 2020 where they just gave us the league title and promotion for a laugh, or maybe because they felt McGlynn was a good guy.

He also has his moments in the Championship where we were close to being promoted. Sadly, he can’t do play-offs. The only final we made under him was when we had to play a QoS team with Dobbie and Lyndon Dykes up front.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, but he’s been promoted twice. There was that time in 2020 where they just gave us the league title and promotion for a laugh, or maybe because they felt McGlynn was a good guy.

He also has his moments in the Championship where we were close to being promoted. Sadly, he can’t do play-offs. The only final we made under him was when we had to play a QoS team with Dobbie and Lyndon Dykes up front.

As much as he's done for Scotland... I bloody hate Dykes

Guest Ecosse83

Obviously the last 2 months of bottling it is a massive concern regarding Mcglynn but the thing that really puzzles me with him is paying money for Allan who clearly isn’t ever going to fit into the way he plays. That’s what worries me most 

I’m on the fence regarding McGlynn. I can see the rationale for both keeping or getting rid. He has improved us (obviously not by enough) and recruitment has been better than it has been over the last few seasons all be it from a very low bar but I do think he might be able to improve us further given another pre season to shape the squad, however the manner of that defeat the other night (I actually would not have played both Oliver and Burrel despite the clamour from a lot of fans, we missed the extra man in midfield and Airdrie were able to play straight through us) coupled with the way our form has crashed following that Dunfermline defeat can’t be ignored, he does not seem to have the ability to change things or approach games in a different manner tactically in the way Mcpake seems to have done over the water and his play off record is horrendous meaning we’d probably need to make sure next season we win this league out right. If the board do decide to pull the trigger it can’t be knee jerk, they need to be sure somebody better is available and to do it properly said person is then going to need another injection of cash we really don’t have to bring his own players in, that cash would need to somehow be found and secured before the decision is taken IMO. As it stands it’s a gamble either way. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Having had a few days to vent, reflect and think calmly about the situation I would - hesitatingly - still stick with McGlynn.

However, as has been suggested already his only remit for 2023/24 is to go up as champions.

No more* and nothing less than that will do.

Having now faced every scenario in L1 (bookies certainties, the upstarts and usual suspects) the management and players should be under no illusions what's required.

Begrudgingly McGlynn needs to take a leaf out of Dunfermlines book and be single minded in getting us up.

It hurts to say now but we may have played the derby occasion instead of, on reflection, the game at hand and since there are no derby bragging rights as big next season it should only ever be about the points and getting over the line as rapidly as we can.

* Unless we get favourable draws into latter stages of comps

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He has only ever won L2, and that was 14 years ago!!!!!

You've said this a few times, and I'm going to have to correct you. Saying L2 implies it was the fourth tier.

There was no "L2" in 2009. He won the Second Division (third tier - equivalent of L1)

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Fair enough. What will be will be. As you say the only ones who know what will happen will be the Board. They will know what targets he was set, what the expectations were and how he has performed against that. 
I think we should keep him on for the valid reasons I have stated. You disagree so be it. I personally think lots of fans are where I am (certainly a group of 20 in our messenger group are, and no one in that group is saying he should go).

And even if that target was the play-offs, what occurred on Tuesday night should - at an absolute, bare minimum - have concentrated a few minds in the boardroom about whether what we currently have on the pitch and in the dugout is fit for purpose. A capitulation on that scale is a game changer as far as the future of the manager - in fact, any manager - is concerned. His team  lay down and died whilst he appeared incapable of doing anything to affect change. 

They appointed a highly experienced management team, handed them by far the largest recruitment budget of any club in the division and the autonomy to use as they decided. The outcome? Utter terror at the mere sight of Airdrie. The biggest bottle job ever - and that's saying something for us - and quite simply, one too many. In the eyes of some, there is no coming back from something as seismic as that. He's done.

I've no doubt he'll hang on to his job and survive into nest season but he's damaged goods. Credibility gone. Clock now ticking.

9 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Obviously the last 2 months of bottling it is a massive concern regarding Mcglynn but the thing that really puzzles me with him is paying money for Allan who clearly isn’t ever going to fit into the way he plays. That’s what worries me most 

I think he saw him and wright as a forward two going forward but wright has been that disappointing that he hasn't been able to play it apart from the Peterhead dead rubber.

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And even if that target was the play-offs, what occurred on Tuesday night should - at an absolute, bare minimum - have concentrated a few minds in the boardroom about whether what we currently have on the pitch and in the dugout is fit for purpose. A capitulation on that scale is a game changer as far as the future of the manager - in fact, any manager - is concerned. His team  lay down and died whilst he appeared incapable of doing anything to affect change. 

They appointed a highly experienced management team, handed them by far the largest recruitment budget of any club in the division and the autonomy to use as they decided. The outcome? Utter terror at the mere sight of Airdrie. The biggest bottle job ever - and that's saying something for us - and quite simply, one too many. In the eyes of some, there is no coming back from something as seismic as that. He's done.

I've no doubt he'll hang on to his job and survive into nest season but he's damaged goods. Credibility gone. Clock now ticking.

Not sure we had by far the largest budget in the league , the second largest yes but Dunfermlines wage bill I’d guess was slighter more and even if ours was the bigger of the two it would not have been “by far”

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Cup comps aside weve only been beating by 3 or more twice I believe. Could it be passed as a terrible day at the office?

Said office was a raging fire and backed onto a hazardous materials compound surrounded by radioactive bees ... and someone had left their lunch in the fridge for 100 years. It was the worst day of any office! 🤣

I’m trying my very best to calm down after Tuesday - I don’t think I’ll have a 100% set opinion on what should happen until after Saturday. There’s always the tiniest, tiniest chink of hope while there is still a game to play that, against all the odds and with everyone having written us off, we do the impossible. Even if all the available evidence suggests it won’t happen.

However, talk of not getting rid of McGlynn for reasons such as “he’ll have set pre-season dates” or “he’ll have been looking at players for next season” strikes me as unserious. No manager would ever lose their job with that reasoning. 

Never mind the Board’s targets; when McGlynn was appointed, he stated that goal this season was promotion. To not turn it around on Saturday, he’ll have failed by his own metric. Any board that didn’t at least consider his position would also strike me as deeply unserious.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I’m trying my very best to calm down after Tuesday - I don’t think I’ll have a 100% set opinion on what should happen until after Saturday. There’s always the tiniest, tiniest chink of hope while there is still a game to play that, against all the odds and with everyone having written us off, we do the impossible. Even if all the available evidence suggests it won’t happen.

However, talk of not getting rid of McGlynn for reasons such as “he’ll have set pre-season dates” or “he’ll have been looking at players for next season” strikes me as unserious. No manager would ever lose their job with that reasoning. 

Never mind the Board’s targets; when McGlynn was appointed, he stated that goal this season was promotion. To not turn it around on Saturday, he’ll have failed by his own metric. Any board that didn’t at least consider his position would also strike me as deeply unserious.

I’m 100% certain his position will be being “considered” whether that on balance results in him loosing his job is another thing. 

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

He led them to promotion as his team was on top of the league when it was called, let's not be pedantic.

It’s not pedantry. It’s fact. 

I think he will be here next season, for the reasons he was given a two year contract and the original plan was to be up in two (one if possible), unless I have remembered this incorrectly.

The manner of the defeat on Tuesday is causing most of the issue, for me anyway. If we had simply lost the two legs over a goal there wouldn't be the same level of outcry.

I'm not a fan of him, I'll put that out there, for a few reasons. Mainly I never was concerned when we have ever been up against his team when he managed the opposition. However, I get there will have been slim pickings for us, and he was a step up from what we had recently had.

I am not looking forward to Saturday, this could be another sore one, and he really needs to show why we should keep him on another year or sentence one goes in the bin for me.

12 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Not sure we had by far the largest budget in the league , the second largest yes but Dunfermlines wage bill I’d guess was slighter more and even if ours was the bigger of the two it would not have been “by far”

I never mentioned wage bill. "Budget for recruitment" - the most cursory of reviews of the transfer business undertaken by every club in the league confirms that McGlynn had a significant advantage in that category. By far.