The Falkirk FC Thread

We’re not good enough to pass through them like they did to us so I’d get our best striker at winning headers (Oliver/Wright?) and lump it up and try and hem them in with Kennedy, Morrison, Lawal and Max or Nesbitt feeding off scraps around their box. Any attempts at our near play and Airdrie will piss themselves. 

Edited by bairn88

There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with 4 2 3 1. If we want to play attacking football it can absolutely be done. But we are instructed to keep the ball at the expense of taking any risks in the forward areas. We routinely hoover the tempo out of any game, in our attempts to probe and pick at teams who often sit in against us. If you only need to win the match, in which case the odd goal is fine, then a patient approach is fine. 

Not going to suddenly use hindsight to claim its never worked all season etc etc. But it won't do tomorrow. Play the 4 2 3 1 so that there aren't huge unoccupied gaps in front of the back 4, but move the fucking ball. Take a risk in trying to break the lines. Take a fucking shot from distance.

Id be tempted to leave McGinn out in favour of Max, but there's an obvious drop in Nesbitt for Max also if you want McGinn in with Hendo.

I'd love to see Ola in this game too. He's such a b*****d to get the ball off round the edge of the box and we've seen him curl them in. 

You don't need a gung ho set up to make a better fist of attacking than we typically have this season. 

3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

On recent showings do we give Paul Watson a new deal?

My gut feeling is yes.

I think if Donaldson stays then we need someone a bit more physical and a bit more leader-ish than Watson, who always struck me as better off being led. 

9 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My gut feeling is yes.

I'd have him in for preseason and make the decision then as there's everychance he could have a set back again. But then again the money he'll be on we'll probably be better served using that elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

He looked decent went he played more  out wide against us. 

Kelty fan in their thread also said he was better coming in off the left hand side, would make sense seen as we've mentioned him being able to play out wide.

Guest Ecosse83

Id stick with the normal formation tomorrow no pint in completely to something new it wouldn’t work. He’s been rubbish so far but I’d start Wright up front, we need that ball to stick and bring others into play which the others can’t do well at all (not sure if Wright can either tbf).  Mcginn and Henderson in the middle with Kennedy Max and Morrison the ones to hopefully cause the bother. 

pie in the sky stuff but got to dream 😆

14 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My gut feeling is yes.

One game?  Can't tell much from that. Bit of a gamble considering he's been out for months and is getting on a bit into the bargain. I'll be surprised if he gets another deal.

15 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My gut feeling is yes.

We have three centre-halfs under contract for next season in McKay, Donaldson & Henderson plus Mackie who can play there too. And we'll have a development team with centre-halfs who can provide cover. 

For those reasons I'd be astonished if PW was offered a new deal. 

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

One game?  Can't tell much from that. Bit of a gamble considering he's been out for months and is getting on a bit into the bargain. I'll be surprised if he gets another deal.

I am not talking about how he played,i meant how crap our defending was on tuesday.

My fault for not being clearer.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

We’re not good enough to pass through them like they did to us so I’d get our best striker at winning headers (Oliver/Wright?) and lump it up and try and hem them in with Kennedy, Morrison, Lawal and Max or Nesbitt feeding off scraps around their box. Any attempts at our near play and Airdrie will piss themselves. 

Was it not the long ball approach you took on Tuesday, that was pretty much mopped up every time? Aye batter in with that again. 

Caught some of the Queens/PT game. Some good individuals in both camps, but difference was having a CF that had great awareness, skill and finishing. 
A Partick team that binned one of the most experienced managers with ten games to play and sitting below the play offs. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Caught some of the Queens/PT game. Some good individuals in both camps, but difference was having a CF that had great awareness, skill and finishing. 
A Partick team that binned one of the most experienced managers with ten games to play and sitting below the play offs. 

Only 1500 at the game which is pretty dire.

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Only 1500 at the game which is pretty dire.

Pretty sure they said Thistle only got an allocation of 1000 which they sold out. Queens probably have a core support of 500 so there was never going to be a much bigger crowd. Maybe we would be better not turning out in numbers tomorrow as our shitebags can’t seem to cope playing in front of decent crowds.

Edited by Harry Kinnear