The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Mentioned on the match thread but I just think that’s wrong. I’d say the same if it was ourselves or any other team.

It’s a two legged tie so just seems unfair that a team can call in another goalie at this stage  because their first choice got himself sent off. They have a senior goalkeeper and as I understand it their U18 goalie is available (their U18 side who won their league incidentally).

Its not going to have a bearing on the game in this case given the circumstances of course.

Is that the case for all the playoffs? Imagine you're aclub in the premiership playoff and their keeper gets sent off. Could you then bring  in Alan McGregor on loan for the second leg as rangers season is over?

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Is that the case for all the playoffs? Imagine you're aclub in the premiership playoff and their keeper gets sent off. Could you then bring  in Alan McGregor on loan for the second leg as rangers season is over?

Bad example, that horrible b*****d is way overdue to get sent to the lasagne factory. 

59 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Agyeman should do well for you next season, providing you're in L1. We were interested I'm sure, local papers commented on it in January and McPake publicly said twice that he was the best player on the opposition that he'd seen. That being said, two goals since Christmas with him playing every game, mostly the full 90 mins isn't a great return and I'm happy we've not went down that route. Reckon he'll improve though, especially going full time. Seems the general feeling from Kelty fans was he's a good player, direct, physical but no where near the finished article.

I actually thought he might be tempted by Raith with all the ex Kelty board members now being there.

I would have thought the Raith reported interest is the main driver behind us getting this out. The rumour of us signing him has been doing the rounds for 2/3 months. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

59 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I actually thought he might be tempted by Raith with all the ex Kelty board members now being there.

We were linked with him but I think playing time at Falkirk would be the decisive factor. Likely to start most weeks at Falkirk, whereas he would likely find his playing time much more limited in the Championship. Sounds like the type of guy with a lot of potential but needs to be playing every week to develop so I think it’s the right move for him.

5 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Ok got our tickets for tomorrow & we need to go for it so here’s my preferred line up 

PJ Morrison

Yeats McKay Henderson Mackie

Max 

Kennedy Lowal Nesbitt Morrison 

Burell 

wow.

4 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

Come on its all about giving the guys an easy ride tomorrow.

I have no idea. If fans are not happy with the Board/Manager I don’t see this making any difference and I would think they will know that. It is going to look too many that it is a cynical move but they would have to be absolutely naive to think it would work. That’s why I don’t think it is actually the reason.

39 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

We were linked with him but I think playing time at Falkirk would be the decisive factor. Likely to start most weeks at Falkirk, whereas he would likely find his playing time much more limited in the Championship. Sounds like the type of guy with a lot of potential but needs to be playing every week to develop so I think it’s the right move for him.

No flair players are guaranteed to start under McGlynn. Lawal is one of the most skilful players we have and he hardly gets a look in and I'm convinced Burrell is grudgingly played despite him being our best striker and both I think will be away at the end of the season. The only two or three with a modicum of skill he favours are Kennedy who will be back at Rangers, Kucheryavi who will be at St Johnstone and Morrison. Oh and Nesbitt who is really just shite but has been handed another free pass for two years. 

8 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Ok got our tickets for tomorrow & we need to go for it so here’s my preferred line up 

PJ Morrison

Yeats McKay Henderson Mackie

Max 

Kennedy Lowal Nesbitt Morrison 

Burell 

PJ

Yeats Donaldson Henderson Mackie

Max 

Morrison Lawal Kennedy

Wright Burrell 

I really don’t think it matters who McGlynn picks. It will either be his beloved 4-2-3-1 (piece of cake for a disciplined 4-3-3 to deal with) or it’ll be a variation that McGlynn doesn’t believe in, and the players don’t understand because they haven’t had time to work at it.

He will have some sort of tinkering going on, but not to the extent of Tuesday night. By his own silly admission, he fielded a set up he didn’t believe in on Tuesday.

The problem with an alleged front 3 involving Kennedy/Morrison and either Burrell or Oliver is it isn’t really a 3, it’s 2 wide players with a lone striker who will get isolated. Airdrie will do a job on our wingers who in turn won’t produce much apart from high balls to no c**t in the middle.

My guess is that he wants to try and have a go direct from kick off, doesn’t work as stated by HK, panics tries to change it (only at 60mins) and we’re so far out the game, there’s a hurl of abuse starting with the sweeties & prawn sandwich brigade, quickly followed by the hospitality mob, and then dissent from the KM stand. 

30 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

No flair players are guaranteed to start under McGlynn. Lawal is one of the most skilful players we have and he hardly gets a look in and I'm convinced Burrell is grudgingly played despite him being our best striker and both I think will be away at the end of the season. The only two or three with a modicum of skill he favours are Kennedy who will be back at Rangers, Kucheryavi who will be at St Johnstone and Morrison. Oh and Nesbitt who is really just shite but has been handed another free pass for two years. 

Lawal and burrell had hardly played any football before they came to us so it's not really a surprise that they haven't played regularly.  Lawal is a good prospect but has had a lot to learn and also had a few injuries. Burrell looks decent one minute and then bang average the next. His utter shitebags effort in the wall has put him right down in my estimations I'm afraid.

We’re not good enough to pass through them like they did to us so I’d get our best striker at winning headers (Oliver/Wright?) and lump it up and try and hem them in with Kennedy, Morrison, Lawal and Max or Nesbitt feeding off scraps around their box. Any attempts at our near play and Airdrie will piss themselves. 

Edited by bairn88

There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with 4 2 3 1. If we want to play attacking football it can absolutely be done. But we are instructed to keep the ball at the expense of taking any risks in the forward areas. We routinely hoover the tempo out of any game, in our attempts to probe and pick at teams who often sit in against us. If you only need to win the match, in which case the odd goal is fine, then a patient approach is fine. 

Not going to suddenly use hindsight to claim its never worked all season etc etc. But it won't do tomorrow. Play the 4 2 3 1 so that there aren't huge unoccupied gaps in front of the back 4, but move the fucking ball. Take a risk in trying to break the lines. Take a fucking shot from distance.

Id be tempted to leave McGinn out in favour of Max, but there's an obvious drop in Nesbitt for Max also if you want McGinn in with Hendo.

I'd love to see Ola in this game too. He's such a b*****d to get the ball off round the edge of the box and we've seen him curl them in. 

You don't need a gung ho set up to make a better fist of attacking than we typically have this season. 

3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

On recent showings do we give Paul Watson a new deal?

My gut feeling is yes.

I think if Donaldson stays then we need someone a bit more physical and a bit more leader-ish than Watson, who always struck me as better off being led. 

9 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

On recent showings do we give Paul Watson a new deal?

My gut feeling is yes.

I'd have him in for preseason and make the decision then as there's everychance he could have a set back again. But then again the money he'll be on we'll probably be better served using that elsewhere.