The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

For me, there is a culture of low standards at the club (not started by the current board tbf) that has seeped into some of the support.

We’ve just been trounced by Airdrie in the third tier playoffs and yet there has been no communication from the club over a week later. 

In my view management teams and boards should be praised when deserved and criticised when appropriate. Previous boards would have been slated (rightly or wrongly) for the retired number issue for example.

I’m sure the board will have reached out to Craig’s family to apologise for the incident you are referring to.

I’m also sure Craig’s family would have appreciated the private apology and wouldn’t have wanted this done in public given they suffer through the grief of the tragedy every day in life and would not have wanted more spotlight in it.

Don’t think there is any need to mention the incident on here again tbh. 

We all moan, me included, about players, managers and missing promotion etc but nothing has ever happened in my time supporting Falkirk that’s made me anywhere near as sad and upset as to what happened to Craig. God forbid it never will again.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Where the club should go to is the division below and get the best young part-time players ready to make the next step in their career and go full time.

Aye, sounds good, we tried that approach and look where it got us ... League 1 ...

I'm currently doing another illustration of another part of Brockville and I was wondering if anyone can remember what colour the AstroTurf type material was that they used to have leading up to the two steps leaving the tunnel on to pitch? Was it green? I have some weird recollection of it being a weird orange/red (which I believe I have entirely made up).

Secondly, where did the gate at the new stadium come from? Again I have absolutely no memory of seeing it at Brockville.

4 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

I'm currently doing another illustration of another part of Brockville and I was wondering if anyone can remember what colour the AstroTurf type material was that they used to have leading up to the two steps leaving the tunnel on to pitch? Was it green? I have some weird recollection of it being a weird orange/red (which I believe I have entirely made up).

Secondly, where did the gate at the new stadium come from? Again I have absolutely no memory of seeing it at Brockville.

The gate was was at the entrance to the tunnel.

20 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

For me, there is a culture of low standards at the club (not started by the current board tbf) that has seeped into some of the support.

We’ve just been trounced by Airdrie in the third tier playoffs and yet there has been no communication from the club over a week later. 

In my view management teams and boards should be praised when deserved and criticised when appropriate. Previous boards would have been slated (rightly or wrongly) for the retired number issue for example.

I think that Swinney is on next weeks podcast, assuming he will be representing the BOD as communications/spokesperson. 

31 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don't think it's very good to use the Jersey number in any form of finger pointing. 

It's an issue that ought to be absolutely left alone. 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd posted yesterday about away crowds and the effect they have on the game day experience, that looks grim. 

If you win the title you won't care right enough, but that does not look like a fun time. 

Fun time, what’s that?

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

A shrewd manager would/should have identified key players from all our rivals. We have no divine right to sign anyone, but I’d expect at the minimum we’ve sounded these players out. As said I personally would sacrifice the first team squad numbers and pay the going rate for a better class of player, if this involves part time players albeit. For the past few seasons let face it you only get what you pay for…………..

He went and watched McCabe before he even got the Falkirk job and then tried to sign him. I, like many others, think this is why McCabe got the managers job at Airdrie to keep him there. 

1 hour ago, Big chungus said:

I was thinking this the other day as well. An extra CB playing would surely shore up the defence. Dunfermline won the league last season playing a 3-5-2 and Cove won it the year before also playing a 3-5-2. Maybe at this level it can be a really effective system. I am aware we played it under Rennie for a few games but I wouldn’t read anything into that.

For a back 3 you need mobility Donaldson, Henderson, McKay would get run ragged with through balls and one-twos.

36 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

I’ve got a picture of where the gate was but my mates in it when he was younger with Simon Stainrod when he was at the club. It was basically just as the players came out the tunnel. I’m sure Bainsford Bairn or others on here will maybe have better pictures of it. 

I’m not convinced the gate was there all the time when I first started going to Brockville, I think it was a later addition but I could be wrong.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

36 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, sounds good, we tried that approach and look where it got us ... League 1 ...

Very few from the division below in the 18-23 age bracket.

Look at the teams in our division next season and you see why not one quality player in the division above will want to join us

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did we?

I can't recall particularly noticing that as a distinct change of direction.

Well, it wasn't a total change of direction. More that we picked up some lower league lads (East being one example that springs to mind) over a couple of seasons and they weren't frankly up to Championship standard and we began to struggle to maintain our place in Tier 2. I'm not saying you won't find gems in the lower leagues, it is possible - I think a balanced combination of decent experienced FT players and young upcoming talent driven by a good coach is what's required ... easier said than done at our level mind.

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Ruari Paton?

Yeah, that's the danger of making blanket statements isn't it? Clearly, it is possible to find quality upcoming talent in the lower leagues, but I wouldn't counsel going entirely down that road as it's fraught with risk. In Paton's case it looks like he's developing well now, although when he joined us I thought he struggled at Championship level. He's been decent at L1 though and time will tell if he's developed enough to have another shot at the higher level.

24 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Look at the teams in our division next season and you see why not one quality player in the division above will want to join us

I doubt that the quality of opponents is the deciding factor when a player is deciding whether to sign or not.  First will be the wages on offer. The convenience of training location comes in to it too. But also the likelihood of getting game time - a player in the league above who is struggling to command a starting place and is often on the bench might think he's a better chance of starting in the league below (with more chance of any win bonuses etc).

11 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I have now reluctantly accepted he’ll be here but previous boards would have been slated for keeping him on in my view.

A novice manger at Airdrie has managed promotion with a third of our budget at best (probably more like one quarter), yet we’re supposed to believe McGlynn has worked wonders for us according to some. Sorry, not for me.

McGlynn has delivered an absolutely typical McGlynn season. He’s either there or thereabouts in the top four or the bottom four, but rarely does anything of real note. Frankly, his 17 year managerial career has more lows than highs.

Tactically, he might just be the least competent manager in the country. Him actually bringing Williamson back into the team for the semi final was laughable. To then field him again in the play offs was beyond parody, and that alone should be enough for everyone to have major doubts as to his ability to take us up to the Championship.

Have a look at Allan’s stats when he signed for us. Wasn’t he the striker we needed? So McGlynn chooses not to play him.

He had the easy opportunity to allow Nesbitt to go, but instead, he has given him a two year deal. Just astonishing.

The signs are all there if people actually look close enough. We are looking for McGlynn to do something he has never done before……win L1 over a full season. He has been in the play offs several times, and the two matches against Airdrie showed why he perpetually fails.

He signs players, but he clearly is miles off the pace when it comes to organising a team.

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

He went and watched McCabe before he even got the Falkirk job and then tried to sign him. I, like many others, think this is why McCabe got the managers job at Airdrie to keep him there. 

You may well be right. Many of us thought McCabe and Dycey might be away after the last season and failing in the play offs again. So you've got to give the board huge credit for what turned out to be a superb move. We are now promoted with a young, exciting manager, instead of opting for the supposed safety of an older head with old ideas. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Ross, I'm looking for the original post and making a c**t of finding it so if I may be so bold as to request to be spoon fed here..... Can you ask Jamie Swinney if Falkirk will use their voice to speak out against the bullshit conference league/colt teams debacle. It doesn't feel like enough to me to just vote against this as I would hope they would. Clubs and fanbases need to take a stand and as the only club I have any interest in having my own tiny amount of influence on, I'd love to see Falkirk do the right yhing for Scottish football and call this shambles out publicly. 

Jamie said they’ll discuss it at the next board meeting but nothing public until then. You’d imagine it would be an easy decision given Jamie’s background and having common sense of getting it right in the bin.