The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Heard that sentiment too much about players and although I see great quality in Spencer, the highlights I watched of Lang weren’t as encouraging but maybe still gaining fitness pending his injury. Will reserve judgement though. Would you say he looked the same player after it?

6 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

In my opinion, no he wasn,t the same player after the ACL injury. A full pre season may sort that though

I think the timing of the return was the key. Lang returned from his surgery at the very end of November, and was quickly plugged in as his fitness allowed due to our lack of experienced CB’s. At that point we had O’Riordan (young loan from Crewe) and Nolan (young player returning from injuries with a lack of experience but a good pedigree)…we had expected Berra to be around, but he had left. So we had Dick filling in on occasion at CB as well, and needed Lang back. He worked into playing shape quickly, but seemed rasher than previously, perhaps because he was now the “experienced, leader at CB” and felt he had to make his presence known. He’s not really a dominant presence in the box in the air, but when he’s on his game he is really a Rolls Royce type player. Calm in possession, a good passer, and didn’t seem shy about his knees as some do after surgeries.

On RB, Tumilty would be an excellent attacking signing, but his defending is sub-par.

10 hours ago, Balde Bairn said:

SPL years were good. Even when we were relegated we brought players like Taylor, Farid, Vaulks, Leahy. We sold players like David Weatherston because he was considered not quite good enough, my god he’d look world class compared to what we’ve had for the last 5-years. 

Now I know you are at it. Don't think anyone of us even knew vaulks, Taylor, farid and leahy when they signed. Are you saying you got excited about them and they were fantastic quality signings before even seeing them play for Falkirk? 

See where I'm going with this? 

There are fans now who just have a permanent downer on the club. In some ways I do get it as we are not nearly punching at our weight and the last 5 season or so have been a real let down. 
However at some point the fortunes on the pitch are going to change. It looked at times last season we had but in the end it was a false dawn. 
McGlynn had an excuse last season as to what he inherited. He doesn’t this. It is now his team in full. He will live or die at what happens from here. I couldn’t give a monkeys about he was this that or other in the past. If he doesn’t produce the goods now he won’t be with us and can have no grumbles about how he was backed by fans and club. He has certainly got the players to get us up. He has to lick them into shape.  

29 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Now I know you are at it. Don't think anyone of us even knew vaulks, Taylor, farid and leahy when they signed. Are you saying you got excited about them and they were fantastic quality signings before even seeing them play for Falkirk? 

See where I'm going with this? 

Where did I say about knowing these guys would be good before they started?

The point I’m making is that they were good signings, didn’t mention anything about what they were before playing with us. 

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

My neighbour while he was with us. Mortified when my laddie and his pals went to his door, and asked him if he would come out for a kick about in the street…………but he did. He played three a side with them for about half an hour

I mind right when Jeffries first signed him and seen him play for the first time I recall him not looking like he would make an impact think it was coming to the end of the season  the next season he made his mark though.  Gareth Hutchison was another one that was like that kind of think he was an Oliveresque type player didn't get the credit he deserved. although folk remember him for what he got wrong in a game.

37 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

Where did I say about knowing these guys would be good before they started?

The point I’m making is that they were good signings, didn’t mention anything about what they were before playing with us. 

You are complaining about signings that's have yet to play a game. Then lawded over players that we never knew what they were like until they pulled on a Falkirk strip. Were you, on the contrary to your attitude just now, praising those guys when they put pen to paper? 

why not wait until they do pull on the strip for us before writing them off? How do you know they will be shite signings? 

Guest Ecosse83
4 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

You are complaining about signings that's have yet to play a game. Then lawded over players that we never knew what they were like until they pulled on a Falkirk strip. Were you, on the contrary to your attitude just now, praising those guys when they put pen to paper? 

why not wait until they do pull on the strip for us before writing them off? How do you know they will be shite signings? 

I moaned the place down when we signed Maciver, my gut still tells me he might not be good enough but I have been reliably told by someone who knows him much better than me I’m talking nonsense.

The 3 signings yesterday though should improve us by quite a bit so I’m surprised someone is unhappy with them. The one thing I do know if it doesn’t work out for Mcglynn he will still have left us with a better squad of players than what the last 3 or 4 managers have. 

Edited by Ecosse83

6 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

In fairness I call it balance for the season when everyone looked at the unveiling of Bartley's duds and thought "these guys look like genuine ballers' the fact they looked like football players is where the similarities stopped. That season everyone looked a class signing this is just a sort of karma to balance that one out or don't count your chickens before their hatched really..lol

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

In fairness I call it balance for the season when everyone looked at the unveiling of Bartley's duds and thought "these guys look like genuine ballers' the fact they looked like football players is where the similarities stopped. That season everyone looked a class signing this is just a sort of karma to balance that one out or don't count your chickens before their hatched really..lol

I think anyone has the right to question signings. I wasn’t fully on board with Hartleys signings either when I started looking at their CV’s. The one thing is that everyone deserves to be backed. There are a spate of examples that have been questionable signings and been great players for us. As it is the 3 signed yesterday look like good additions. My only concern is Lang but as been said, hopefully a full pre-season will get him back to the player he was lauded as by Raith fans.

What actually baffles me is anyone who will be happy to see Callum Morrison go. 

10 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

There’s a major difference! We didn’t know what we were getting with any of the players I listed. We know the standard of the guys we have signed, all of which have done the merry-go-round in Scottish football. 

9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I think anyone has the right to question signings. I wasn’t fully on board with Hartleys signings either when I started looking at their CV’s. The one thing is that everyone deserves to be backed. There are a spate of examples that have been questionable signings and been great players for us. As it is the 3 signed yesterday look like good additions. My only concern is Lang but as been said, hopefully a full pre-season will get him back to the player he was lauded as by Raith fans.

What actually baffles me is anyone who will be happy to see Callum Morrison go. 

As a recent example look at how we reacted when Alegria was signed and every other fan was on here telling us how shite he was. Him leaving in January had a massive impact on our season. 

On Morrison there's no doubting he's one of our best players but he's still very inconsistent, his decision making at times is woeful and he's in the last year of his deal with him no doubt being one of our higher earners so if someone did come in with money for him they'd definitely be considering it.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As a recent example look at how we reacted when Alegria was signed and every other fan was on here telling us how shite he was. Him leaving in January had a massive impact on our season. 

On Morrison there's no doubting he's one of our best players but he's still very inconsistent, his decision making at times is woeful and he's in the last year of his deal with him no doubt being one of our higher earners so if someone did come in with money for him they'd definitely be considering it.

Depends how much money but would be a huge loss in my opinion. His decision making isn’t always the best but he’s our biggest threat. 

Good point about Alegria too. Would be reason to question it at the time but he was a really effective player for us and a big loss when he went. Definitely why every new player deserves our backing but I just don’t understand why sometimes more value is put in to a new player than one who has already contributed a lot for us. If Morrison went we’d struggle to replace him. Was the same with Connolly IMO.