The Falkirk FC Thread

53 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not condoning trouble at any game for one minute but I think, and only my opinion, that people are much, much, much, much more passionate about their club than their country. I don’t think it’s even close - and I regularly attend Scotland games.

That’s a decent point. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not condoning trouble at any game for one minute but I think, and only my opinion, that people are much, much, much, much more passionate about their club than their country. I don’t think it’s even close - and I regularly attend Scotland games.

Think it depends on the person, I get every bit as animated at a Scotland game as I do a Falkirk game. Don’t think it’s anything do do with fans being more or less passionate but more to do with the carnival type atmosphere at these major tournaments, you noticed a similar thing travelling away from home to watch Scotland. I’d say it’s less aggressive an atmosphere between fans than it is compared to club football but not sure I agree it’s less passionate, it’s just a different thing. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Short of creativity? You have Morrison, Miller, Lawal, Nesbitt, Honeyman and Carroll. How many players do you want sitting in the stand every week? 

The problem is that the first 4 on that list are the same first team options we had last season who just weren’t good enough consistently. Morrison for me is arguably the most over rated player I’ve actually ever seen at Falkirk. Most games he’s way below average and actually makes our attack weaker. Probably not a shocking statement but I’d have much rather kept Kennedy. Obviously we have to give new players like Miller a chance but he doesn’t fill me with confidence. We do absolutely still need one more attack minded midfielder. 

Edited by Maverick_-

1 minute ago, Rizzo said:

It still blows my mind that the world's most beige fanbase has forced us into opening the away stand. Was there some sort of big new farming subsidy announced that day or something?

Aye, surely we can just draft a handful from the South Stand to deal with the Qos Young Conservative Party

Short of creativity? You have Morrison, Miller, Lawal, Nesbitt, Honeyman and Carroll. How many players do you want sitting in the stand every week? 

Just Brad McKay.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What were the incidents mate ?

Can you imagine what some of the modern fans would have made of being in the cage at Brockville with Geordie, Nos etc etc. I spent many an afternoon in there back in the day (as I’m sure you did Ross) and what a place it was 😂.

Changing ends at half time across that bridge!

10 minutes ago, Maverick_- said:

The problem is that the first 4 on that list are the same first team options we had last season who just weren’t good enough consistently. Morrison for me is arguably the most over rated player I’ve actually ever seen at Falkirk. Most games he’s way below average and actually makes our attack weaker. Probably not a shocking statement but I’d have much rather kept Kennedy. Obviously we have to give new players like Miller a chance but he doesn’t fill me with confidence. We do absolutely still need one more attack minded midfielder. 

Eh, naw. Miller we've just signed this close season and Lawal hardly played at all and when he did come on he usually had an impact. I'd love to see Lawal getting far more starts this season.

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Eh, naw. Miller we've just signed this close season and Lawal hardly played at all and when he did come on he usually had an impact. I'd love to see Lawal getting far more starts this season.

If Lawals cameos at times last season are a regular performance Kia Kennedy will be quickly forgotten IF

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

Drop him back to a Scott McKenzie role in a back three, Henderson and Spencer middle of the park, Lawal Attacking mid, Morrison Right and McCann Miller left and two strikers...

Lets attack the league, best form of defence is attack 👌👌

McCall would do something like the above, being far too cagey fuked us last season

The great Jock Stein was once asked by an English commentator his concern about Celtic being weak defensively playing Leeds (European cup semi final 1970)

The great man replied 'Celtic being weak defensively what you talking about? Celtic's an ultra-defensive team' Commenter asked how he worked that out. Stein replied -' Well if we have possession in the opposition's last 1/3rd of the pitch can you think of a more effective defensive formation'

Guy looked a right arse and he knew it, think it was Kenneth Wolstenholme of 'They think it's all over fame'

Put out a side that attacks and challenge the opposition to cope with it with a mentality if there is a sight on goal put a shot in on target. Go for it the fans will back it.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The great Jock Stein was once asked by an English commentator his concern about Celtic being weak defensively playing Leeds (European cup semi final 1970)

The great man replied 'Celtic being weak defensively what you talking about? Celtic's an ultra-defensive team' Commenter asked how he worked that out. Stein replied -' Well if we have possession in the opposition's last 1/3rd of the pitch can you think of a more effective defensive formation'

Guy looked a right arse and he knew it, think it was Kenneth Wolstenholme of 'They think it's all over fame'

Put out a side that attacks and challenge the opposition to cope with it with a mentality if there is a sight on goal put a shot in on target. Go for it the fans will back it.

Airdrie did the attack line well last season and Dunfermline did the defence bit very well. Airdrie were much better to watch but the Fifers cruised the league

9 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Airdrie did the attack line well last season and Dunfermline did the defence bit very well. Airdrie were much better to watch but the Fifers cruised the league

Thing is, both the best defence and the best attack were promoted.

Solely based on head to heads versus those two, a record of Played 10, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 5 pretty much explains why we are still L1.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

55 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thing is, both the best defence and the best attack were promoted.

Solely based on head to heads versus those two, a record of Played 10, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 5 pretty much explains why we are still L1.

They had a style and played to their strengths. We spent the final third of the season tinkering trying to find our strength. Could argue that McGlynn still doesn't know. 

5 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

They had a style and played to their strengths. We spent the final third of the season tinkering trying to find our strength. Could argue that McGlynn still doesn't know. 

I think this could be a major issue next season if we go into the campaign with McGlynn still not sure how he wants us to play and still tinkering. I’m hoping the new signings he has made have been brought in to play a set way. I’m hoping that way is to attack teams quickly and bin this dull side to side, slow build up play where have loads of possession and then get suckered by teams attacking us at pace. Time will tell though.

10 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

McColl's Falkirk team took the pitch with a mindset of. 'This is out team we are going to have a go at you try and stop us if you think you're good enough' It was psychological and it showed in both sets of players and fans. 

Falkirk have taken the pragmatic approach season after season and got nowhere.

Time for a change and a more attacking style of play.

11 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

McColl's Falkirk team took the pitch with a mindset of. 'This is out team we are going to have a go at you try and stop us if you think you're good enough' It was psychological and it showed in both sets of players and fans. 

The “pragmatic” approach won Dunfermline the league last year. I don’t care how we set up as long as we get results! We can worry about playing pretty football when we eventual get the f**k out this league! 

Bizarre that anyone thought we we weren't setup to attack teams last year 🤨

We may have struggled to break down the low-block at times but to suggest we didn't have a go in most matches, as I've read it, is plainly wrong. 

McGlynn and the players have to make that dominance count in more games - especially against the better sides - than they did last year. 

26 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

McGlynn's plan b was the diamond but playing four central midfielders in that diamond at times handed the opposition a chance to get at us or the upper hand. 

Morrison up top for me doesn't work too, he is a wide player who gets a few goals, not a striker

12 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

McColl's Falkirk team took the pitch with a mindset of. 'This is out team we are going to have a go at you try and stop us if you think you're good enough' It was psychological and it showed in both sets of players and fans

Very much what McCall's thistle did at the turn of the year to win this league.