The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Fuxxake, nothing like the prosecution leading the witness, eh?

I appreciate that Agyeman might need a wee bit help with his English but the interviewer wasn't half feeding him the answers:

"Being able to work with John McGlynn, everyone has good things to say about him."

"Did you want to work with him?"

"We've got good facilities, a new pitch."

How exciting is it to look forward to the new season and going for promotion?'

The new guy makes Lewis sound like an interregator for the Gestapo.

That sounded like one of the media guys who did the same pre match interviews last season, I don’t think that’s Sean.

Guest Back Post Misses
13 hours ago, Van_damage said:

An idea I had for the FSS which I’ve mooted before is a 5% fund that gets voted on quarterly how to spend it. The options can be put forward by members and even divided in to short, medium or long term projects and the money split accordingly to each one that is voted on. For instance long term could be saving for a LED scoreboard, medium for improvements to facilities like decorating the Brockville Bar further and something like a tifo could be a short term project.

It would allow for more engagement with members and an opportunity to see first hand how your money is making improvements to the club. 

St.Mirren do something similar which as far as I’m aware has been quite successful.

5% shouldn’t make a huge difference in finances too but can produce improvements elsewhere that become visible. It may also help increase membership for any fans that would like to have a vote.  

If we go down this route, and I agree we should give members some input, it has to be done in conjunction with what the Board are planning. So a “Menu” of initiatives/things that are needed to be done around the club, is presented to the membership. 
IMO it has to be infrastructure or youth development and it steers clear of the first team budget unless it is equipment required. 

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If we go down this route, and I agree we should give members some input, it has to be done in conjunction with what the Board are planning. So a “Menu” of initiatives/things that are needed to be done around the club, is presented to the membership. 
IMO it has to be infrastructure or youth development and it steers clear of the first team budget unless it is equipment required. 

An east side standing area/terrace, even if it’s just flat standing like some other clubs (although not ideal). 

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Have to say, I do quite like the idea. Small enough percentages that it doesn’t impact on the core purpose of the funding, but significant enough that it makes a difference in some ways. I think it’s a given that it has to be with the club’s acquiescence and with members’ agreement and consultation, otherwise the angst would go off the scale as per Falkirk fans’ wont.  But stuff like TIFOs for big games, further enhancement of the look/feel of stands, maybe some pre match events etc could be the kind of target for this funding. 

There’s maybe also a separate debate to be had about the potential of longer term FSS funds - if it sustains and continues to grow - and what that can leverage. It’s right that the money continues to help dig us out of the crisis we’ve been in. But with stability will come the opportunity to look over the horizon. FSS’s initial success brought in the £350k which, in turn gave the club the breathing space to look at infrastructure.

What next - more construction (a Pavilion??)? Acquiring bits of the stadium we don’t own? Reducing longer term overheads? Could be anything and folk with a better business and finance brain than I (eg next door’s cat) might have views. But as long as it’s good for the club and good for the fans, then nothing should be off the table. 

15 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Have to say, I do quite like the idea. Small enough percentages that it doesn’t impact on the core purpose of the funding, but significant enough that it makes a difference in some ways. I think it’s a given that it has to be with the club’s acquiescence and with members’ agreement and consultation, otherwise the angst would go off the scale as per Falkirk fans’ wont.  But stuff like TIFOs for big games, further enhancement of the look/feel of stands, maybe some pre match events etc could be the kind of target for this funding. 

There’s maybe also a separate debate to be had about the potential of longer term FSS funds - if it sustains and continues to grow - and what that can leverage. It’s right that the money continues to help dig us out of the crisis we’ve been in. But with stability will come the opportunity to look over the horizon. FSS’s initial success brought in the £350k which, in turn gave the club the breathing space to look at infrastructure.

What next - more construction (a Pavilion??)? Acquiring bits of the stadium we don’t own? Reducing longer term overheads? Could be anything and folk with a better business and finance brain than I (eg next door’s cat) might have views. But as long as it’s good for the club and good for the fans, then nothing should be off the table. 

I agree, it definitely gives a better connection between groups and also your seeing where some of your payments are going in a way that creates a feeling of ownership.

In terms of a drum, if you get enough folk chanting then it's a lot less noticeable and gets lost in the noise somewhat. At smaller clubs then it can sound a bit tin pot (I think Edinburgh had a drum and about 10 laddies that were barely out short trousers) and when it was raised at Dunfermline a fair few were against it but now it is used primarily to start a chant, then the signing takes over and you don't really notice it. As long as you're not right next to it, it's fine imo.

Guest Back Post Misses
58 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

An east side standing area/terrace, even if it’s just flat standing like some other clubs (although not ideal). 

Not for me.

My 11:

————————Mallo———————

Ross—-Hughes——Barr——Hagi

———————Vaulks———————

-Crunchie—-Latapy—Arfield—

———Stokes———Farid————-

Bit of a compromise on some midfield positions.  I realise that some of these aren’t the best players, but they were always the ones I liked at the time.  I never saw Stainrod play, so can’t put him in.  Was sorely tempted to put McHugh in there, just because of what he brought to that season!

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

I think this would do more for the atmosphere than the suggested drums and megaphones tbh. The club don’t need to build a skyscraper but a small investment for a wee flat standing area, say with a long barrier the length of the east side (eg @ Edinburgh City), would do wonders. I’d stand there for sure.

Edited by GunnerBairn

I’ve long thought we should crowd source a jumbotron. £30,000 I believe is ballpark. But there would have to be a lot of FSS discussion with members before such a decision and discussions with the club. Perhaps there are other priorities. 

There’s a FSS members meeting planned for 1st Sept to discuss how and what form  future money is given to the club. Want a say then join up. 

As of this week FSS will be giving the club £104,000 a year as membership is still growing slowly. In other words FSS is now covering one quarter of the annual deficit. There’s still a problem but FSS is making a difference. 

Edited by Roboccop

12 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

I think this would do more for the atmosphere than the suggested drums and megaphones tbh. The club don’t need to build a skyscraper but a small investment for a wee flat standing area, say with a long barrier the length of the east side (eg @ Edinburgh City), would do wonders. I’d stand there for sure.

Copy the covered terracing at Brockville covered with corrugated sheeting.

Entertainment galore as the ball bounces on the roof and showers the fans with rust.

The Falkirk fans had got used to it and didn't bother but what a hoot as the opposition fans dusted themselves down wiping their hair their rust-infused Bovril all going WTF just happened. 

12 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

There was Radio Rentals and DER and I think occasionally Clydesdale (round the corner from the Tudor) used to have a telly in the window showing the results.

My old man’s shop on Glebe Street was another tv set you could watch the scores in. I remember I’d join in and not go in ( I didn’t like him that much) then go to the Centurion where they let me drink at 13. 

12 hours ago, Red Rose said:

What is Lawal’s story? Was he at another club?

Was down at a non league club in England, McGlynn said he liked the look of his video that agents send around so got him up on trial and signed him from there. His brother playing with Celtic will have helped of course. 

Still a bit raw which is why he didn't get much gametime at the start of last season and just as he was working himself into the team he got a knee injury that sidelined him for most of the season.

Definitely a luxury player as he's quite switched off positionally when playing in the middle of the park but he's got that bit of magic in him and can be a match winner so hopefully we see a lot of him this season.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The board should have an input with what ideas are acceptable before they’re put to vote but ultimately this should be membership led.

Members can’t say how the club use the money but on this particular 5% fund it can’t be driven by the board either IMO. The board can plan what they want with the other 95%. Ultimately anything put forward should be for the betterment of the club and therefore of little objection to anyone.

30 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

I’ve long thought we should crowd source a jumbotron. £30,000 I believe is ballpark. But there would have to be a lot of FSS discussion with members before such a decision and discussions with the club. Perhaps there are other priorities. 

There’s a FSS members meeting planned for 1st Sept to discuss how and what form  future money is given to the club. Want a say then join up. 

As of this week FSS will be giving the club £104,000 a year as membership is still growing slowly. In other words FSS is now covering one quarter of the annual deficit. There’s still a problem but FSS is making a difference. 

A scoreboard would be beneficial to the club too and a potential money spinner with advertising and birthday shout outs etc. Think a Jumbotron would be more than £30k. Know Motherwell’s LED scoreboard was around £22k anyway. Maybe if membership continues to grow then we could acquire about one of these bad boys! 

3fbee057-15f6-4647-8e66-03d2ee99ab92.jpeg

48 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Wouldn’t even need to add capacity, could be used as an additional benefit to buying in to the KM stand and have that as the exit/entrance/facilities etc. 

3 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Wouldn’t even need to add capacity, could be used as an additional benefit to buying in to the KM stand and have that as the exit/entrance/facilities etc. 

I could envisage pie stalls at the NE & SE Corners and the jumbotron placed just behind and above the commentary box scaffold. Jobs a goodun 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

The board should have an input with what ideas are acceptable before they’re put to vote but ultimately this should be membership led.

Members can’t say how the club use the money but on this particular 5% fund it can’t be driven by the board either IMO. The board can plan what they want with the other 95%. Ultimately anything put forward should be for the betterment of the club and therefore of little objection to anyone.

Not quite true - the club signed a contract with FSS to recognise it as the official supporters' organisation and to give the 2 Directors places to the supporters in turn (up until then they were not offical) the FSS agreed for all monies raised to go to the club. The form that giving will take is to be ironed out but the spirit of the deal is that the money has to go to the club first.

4 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

Some of the best atmospheres I've witnessed were at German football games, all involved a drum and megaphone and the crowd loved it. Do it right and it doesn't have to be something to moan about. But yet again..... Falkirk fans. 

Don’t see why it has to be generalised as fans having a needless moan. In my experience, drums are more often than not just an annoying racket that could potentially put people off going. A good compromise for anyone not so keen would maybe be a trial period though. Give it 10 home matches or so and then assess whether fans consider it to improve the atmosphere.