The Falkirk FC Thread

So let me get this straight, you make a 400k loss every year based on your current spending, and if you get promoted you still make this amount of a loss even in the championship. You can only stay full time this season because of a cup run last season that’s kept you going, and yet you have spent big money on Brad Spencer and Tom Lang to drop a division while having an unbalanced squad and no natural right back. And this is just normal?? What a shambles that sounds like. Amusing right enough.

Decent statement but I do hope the club are looking at other options to bring in income (including external investment). The FSS has been fantastic so far but in my view the chances of increasing membership to 3.5 times its current level are between slim and none, and is not a realistic target to set those involved. 

Imo if a competitive playing budget is not sustainable even in the championship with 2500 STs in addition to 700+ contributing monthly, other options will need to be considered.

Another clear indication that the budget has gone and I would query the suggestion that “the current squad can compete for the league title”, certainly not without a right back.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Decent statement but I do hope the club are looking at other options to bring in income (including external investment). The FSS has been fantastic so far but in my view the chances of increasing membership to 3.5 times its current level are between slim and none, and is not a realistic target to set those involved. 

Imo if a competitive playing budget is not sustainable even in the championship with 2500 STs in addition to 700+ contributing monthly, other options will need to be considered.

Another clear indication that the budget has gone and I would query the suggestion that “the current squad can compete for the league title”, certainly not without a right back.

Very much in line with the now themed “minus 400K, updated to minus 320K” before each new season kicks off.

Certainly respect the honesty with what’s happening behind the scenes, and clearly we have some bloody hard working people that continue to bring in critical revenue, that keeps the lights on. The patrons and the FSS deserve great praise for continued growing investments and not sure where the club would have been 18 months ago with the patrons injection of cash. 

If I’m correctly reading between the lines, anyone else coming in will be financed by players going out. Can’t see to many clubs knocking our door, so it’s more or less a given we’re going with what’s in place unless we find clubs willing to let players go on loan for match day playing. 

So it’s over to McGlynn to get us promoted, sincerely wishing he succeeds.

25 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Really good update again. Some interesting figures and an honest view of where we are.

I'm still disappointed we have an unsustainable budget and a squad of this poor quality though. 

Feels like the worst of both worlds. 

Couldn’t agree more with this. This squads budget will leave us hundreds of thousands of pounds in the red, and it’s a poorly assembled squad missing key positions.

I liked the update till the part about the £400k deficit was regurgitated. 

FSS has been doing great and the club have achieved great commercial success but for this still not to be enough is a major worry. 

The board said that they would budget accordingly and try to incentivise more to join the FSS to fund a bigger budget. From this statement it appears that the opposite is the case where a budget has been signed off that is currently unsustainable given current FSS numbers/commercial income. 

700 plus is an amazing number for the FSS to be at but there appears to be a limit to fan membership schemes and FSS is growing to that number but 2,500 is just unrealistic. There’s no point continuing to use St.Mirren and Motherwell as examples if you won’t heed the facts about where there membership is in regards to contributions and in relation to their season ticket holders. 

If we’re once again budgeting for 2,500 then we could be in a lot of trouble next year should this season not go to plan. 

10 minutes ago, Trump said:

Couldn’t agree more with this. This squads budget will leave us hundreds of thousands of pounds in the red, and it’s a poorly assembled squad missing key positions.

That is the consequence of continually handing out long term deals/extensions to bang average players.

You’d have thought McGlynn would learn from the disaster left by Holt but he has repeated the same mistakes with the likes of Oliver, Allan and Nesbitt. We are stuck with guys we all know don’t fit the system/will contribute very little until 2025 in some cases.

7 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I liked the update till the part about the £400k deficit was regurgitated. 

FSS has been doing great and the club have achieved great commercial success but for this still not to be enough is a major worry. 

The board said that they would budget accordingly and try to incentivise more to join the FSS to fund a bigger budget. From this statement it appears that the opposite is the case where a budget has been signed off that is currently unsustainable given current FSS numbers/commercial income. 

700 plus is an amazing number for the FSS to be at but there appears to be a limit to fan membership schemes and FSS is growing to that number but 2,500 is just unrealistic. There’s no point continuing to use St.Mirren and Motherwell as examples if you won’t heed the facts about where there membership is in regards to contributions and in relation to their season ticket holders. 

If we’re once again budgeting for 2,500 then we could be in a lot of trouble next year should this season not go to plan. 

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

That is the consequence of continually handing out long term deals/extensions to bang average players.

You’d have thought McGlynn would learn from the disaster left by Holt but he has repeated the same mistakes with the likes of Oliver, Allan and Nesbitt. We are stuck with guys we all know don’t fit the system/will contribute very little until 2025 in some cases.

So what’s the real reason we start every season (sure a director said for at least  a decade) with a minus 400K?
Is it money we have pay to the council for use of the stadium? ie rent rates hire ?

Do we pay over the odds for wages and in some cases we pay higher than championship wages ?

24 minutes ago, Rugster said:

So much for carrying subscriptions over to the new site. Paid last Thursday for the next month and when I log in it says I need to subscribe. 

From a brief conversation I had with someone on Saturday, I think there was some sort of technical issue with moving subscriptions. One of the guys was doing manual changeovers whereas in an ideal world it would all have been done with a click of a button. 

I'd suggest you contact the new site with your details and ask them to sort it. 

The numbers don't quite add up for me.  A £400k deficit as standard at the start of the season but the commercial side seems to be doing a lot better than previous seasons due to the hard work of everyone at the club.  We've had better than planned shirt sales etc.  The cup run supposedly covered that gap for this season and we got the additional £350k from the govt.  The statement says that went on pitch and lights which is fair enough but previous comms had a grant covering some of that with (from memory) only something like £150k needing to be found to cover.  

Yet we have a lower budget than last year and the only way it can be increased is through more fan donations. 

I'm not suggesting anything underhand is going on btw, if anything the board should be praised for their openness but it's hard to see how we'll ever be competitive in the championship again with these budget constraints when the commercial side is doing so well and fan donations are higher than ever.  

A good few pages back there was a debate about whether the decision to re-sign Aidan Nesbitt has  impacted our ability to bring in a right back.  That should be crystal clear to everyone now the impact those decisions have had. 100% agree with the madness of long deals and throwing money at ok players like Lang and Spencer rather than addressing the imbalance in the squad. 

Like everyone, I desperately want us out of this league but it's very hard not to be frustrated at the moment.   

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Do we pay over the odds for wages and in some cases we pay higher than championship wages ?

I think we'd be shocked if we saw what we pay v most teams in the championship.   Not in all cases but certainly for the likes of Morrison, McGinn, Lang, Spencer