The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I actually thought that the ref today is one of the best I’ve seen at this level. He let a lot of tackles go that others would have been blowing up for left right and centre. I think we should have had at least one penalty, that being said. 
And he should have clamped down on the time wasting quickly too though. 

The EFL are applying some common sense new rules for referee's to eliminate timewasting and are well worth considering. In particular the signaling by the ref the clocks stopped. 

When timewasting results in an extra 10+ minutes it will soon stop.

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The difference in prize and gate money alone as outlined by JS between 3rd in our league or 3rd in the championship is surely the obvious solution toward solving the problem! Potentially near 400k of a difference, let get out of this fucking league! 

The club have already stated that there will be a £400k hole in the Championship too. Nothing changes in that respect.

I don't think the ref was as bad as plenty of last season, first Morrison pen claim not one, 2nd one sometimes you get sometimes you don't scenario for me.

Wonder goal by Morrison, obviously on his right foot and yep that can be a tactic for him to cut in on his right but his general wing play wasn't up to what he is capable of due to him being on the left for me.

Yeats aok right back but the difference when pushed into midfield was huge..

Donaldson had decent game bar a shaky 10 mins start of the 2nd half but you never seen Lang doing last ditch challenges and headers like he has in recent weeks.

Overall it's something to build on, 3pts next week and I'll have a bigger smile 😁😁😁

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

The club have already stated that there will be a £400k hole in the Championship too. Nothing changes in that respect.

Finishing mid table in the champ would close that 400k loss. 

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not necessarily as presumably we’d requiere a higher playing budget than what we have now to finish mid table in the championship 

Gate receipts would increase massively too. 

2 hours ago, falkirkzombie said:

Solid start to the campaign, Annan frustrated us 1st half but we went up a gear 2nd. Glad to see Morrison get a goal.

Have fallen flat on our faces so often over the last few years on our first game of the season it was a big win for the Manager, Players, Fans thank goodness we won.

Anything else it would have been pitchforks and torches outside the main stand.

Let's keep our feet on the ground and on to the next game.

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

When was the previous time we won on opening day? 

In the last 16 years, we have had opening day wins against a dying Gretna, Montrose about three years ago, and then Annan today.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

4 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Gate receipts would increase massively too. 

Not necessarily unless you’ve got a number of big clubs in the league. Our average attendance last season was 3654 and it was 3953 our last season in the championship. We actually had a significantly higher average last season than a number of our championship seasons.

10 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Finishing mid table in the champ would close that 400k loss. 

No it won’t. The club have stated a few times that rising costs in the Championship means the £400k shortfall will still exist.

Well that was my first game for a long time.  First thing I must say is, apologies to the singing section with the big drum.  Being old, I was expecting them to be annoying but they were in fact brilliant.  They made the atmosphere today and more power to them.  

I was very surprised by how slow, ineffective and lacking in desire we were in the first half.  Shocked really.  It was as if the instructions were "don't get beat" more than anything else.  The second half was good and more in keeping with what I was expecting.  McIver's back header seemed to happen in slow motion, Morrison's scorcher was brilliant and Aiden is in just the right place to slot home the third.

All in all I'm glad I went and we are off to a good start, albeit with lingering doubts about the low engery slow side ways tippy tappy build up from the back out the the wings which seem to be less than effective.  If I can see it and the majority of the crowd can see it too, I hope McGlynn will address this.

Onwards and upwards

So that’s (potentially) two of our biggest rivals lost a game already this season in Cove and QOTS, the same as Dunfermline last season. Might not mean much but I thought it’s worth pointing out and another reason to be cheerful this evening.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

Really liked Mcglynn’s interview. Although there is a part of me that’s glad McGinn and Oliver didn’t play this week it’s good to know neither will be out long term and should be back in 1-2 weeks. The issue of Mcginns knee stresses how it important it is that he plays more of a squad role this season. I think McGinn starting the odd game here and there but mostly coming on in the 60th minute will benefit him and the team. Same team again next week please and I wouldn’t expect anything different (unless we get injuries through the week) as Mcglynn has stated he dosent like changing a winning team.

Edited by Big chungus

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just back from the game. Few things from me.

I’m approaching 50 and my dads in his 70’s and I still love nothing more than watching the Bairns with my dad.

Anyone who says either Spencer or Lang ain’t an upgrade to our squad is looking for any reason to slate McGlynn.

McGinn and Oliver should rarely start when we have a decent compliment of players available.

Agyeman and Morrison may be frustrating but boy when they are on it, at this level anyway they get me off my seat and that’s what I pay for.

Ross McIver has started well and strikers with confidence are very dangerous.

People who boo at half time are Arseholes - a lot of games in this league we will win in the 2nd half due to full time fitness. Also, anyone who says part time teams look fitter than us is talking pish.

It’s early doors but I’m pleased tonight.

Im not ashamed to admit I booed at halftime during the Airdrie playoff game.  Booing at nothing each is poor patter but if your teams losing by 5 then they deserve to get booed.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Im not ashamed to admit I booed at halftime during the Airdrie playoff game.  Booing at nothing each is poor patter but if your teams losing by 5 then they deserve to get booed.

Thats my take on it, booing is ok but only in circumstances where its been an absolute disaster and the players need a wake up call. Booing at nil nil at half time in the first game of the season is absolutely wild, if we’re going to boo everytime a game is balanced like that, we could be doing it loads this year. If teams rock up with 11 behind the ball, we are going to have to bide our time.

24 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I was beyond booing then, a seething mess of silent rage.

18 minutes ago, FFC1982 said:

Thats my take on it, booing is ok but only in circumstances where its been an absolute disaster and the players need a wake up call. Booing at nil nil at half time in the first game of the season is absolutely wild, if we’re going to boo everytime a game is balanced like that, we could be doing it loads this year. If teams rock up with 11 behind the ball, we are going to have to bide our time.

I think a lot of fans are just on edge. Expectation is high with a lot riding on this season so that’s reflected in that type of reaction at half-time. It’s not great but not really surprising and certainly not “wild”.