The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Dave McInally said:

As I had mentioned before the FSS numbers are excellent. The research I completed shows that on average the ceiling tends to be half of adult STs. That doesn’t mean we can’t try and strive for more but we the board need to be realistic about numbers. 

One thing that hasn’t been noted is that if everyone is devoted to the idea of fan funding then it’s all encompassing and doesn’t stem directly from the FSS membership. 

I considered the importance of the FSS to be giving fans a voice but judging on here and other social media, I think more are happy to just fund the club. If that’s the case then FSS isn’t the only option in town so who’s to say prospective members haven’t signed up to the 1876 club, the Bairns Lotto or Forever Falkirk instead? They might even just have decided to spend more money on retail items to help. The point is that it’s all the same if your main interest is money going to the club. Some just might feel there are options that are more beneficial to them. 

I know many fans will be signed up to multiple schemes but the true number of those invested in actively funding the club will be a mixture of the numbers in all of those schemes together. 

I said the same recently Dave that if some don’t fancy the FSS, their are plenty of alternatives & by the looks of things, these are thriving too ie retail, hospitality (& no not just me), lotto, sponsorships etc. 

I personally disagreed with a lot of the feedback that came into FD via the letter but we are an open forum for debate, like on here, and was the right thing to share. As was to read out the very measured response and call for more feedback from FSS directly. 

2 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

As I had mentioned before the FSS numbers are excellent. The research I completed shows that on average the ceiling tends to be half of adult STs. That doesn’t mean we can’t try and strive for more but we the board need to be realistic about numbers. 

One thing that hasn’t been noted is that if everyone is devoted to the idea of fan funding then it’s all encompassing and doesn’t stem directly from the FSS membership. 

I considered the importance of the FSS to be giving fans a voice but judging on here and other social media, I think more are happy to just fund the club. If that’s the case then FSS isn’t the only option in town so who’s to say prospective members haven’t signed up to the 1876 club, the Bairns Lotto or Forever Falkirk instead? They might even just have decided to spend more money on retail items to help. The point is that it’s all the same if your main interest is money going to the club. Some just might feel there are options that are more beneficial to them. 

I know many fans will be signed up to multiple schemes but the true number of those invested in actively funding the club will be a mixture of the numbers in all of those schemes together. 

Fans have never had a louder voice within the club. That’s because of the FSS. That is the most important facet and will always be the case that they are heard. I think that is what separates FSS from other schemes.

Edited by Bairn to Believe

On “plan B” I think there are several. They include boosting commercial income (great job underway), cup runs and transfers (neither guaranteed but not impossible), bring in the *right* type of investor (hey don’t grow on trees), and a break even budget if we need to. That’s a better position than even 12 months ago when the only plan was to stay alive. 

on FSS, I’ll admit to fearing that it’d tail-off once available shares ran out, but there does seem to be a strong appetite to support the club like this, so I was wrong. We’ve never, ever had what we have now. As others have said, the club has been saved by a mixture of FSS, Patrons, good stewardship and more discreet support from some existing larger shareholders and individual patrons, plus everyone getting behind hospitality, retail, 1876 Club, lottery etc.  I.e. all of us!

Imagine the scenes if we get that rub of the green and go up.  

1 hour ago, Bairn to Believe said:

Fans have never had a louder voice within the club. That’s because of the FSS. That is the most important facet and will always be the case that they are heard. I think that is what separates FSS from other schemes.

To have two directors on the club BOD elected democratically by FSS members and own 25% of the shareholding being the clubs largest shareholder quite clearly gives the FSS a voice. The fans have literally never been so heavily represented within the club. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Regurgitating the same old stuff? No. Criticising the BOD FSS - no. My concerns is that we seem to have no plan B. I genuinely fear/worry that failure to gain promotion will see massive changes at how we as a football club operate. 

Exactly, something you've said on numerous occasions! We all know the situation, we need to grow FSS numbers and attract the right kind of investment or, yes, we will see changes. You don't have to constantly remind us of this.

You say we have no plan B. What would you suggest the plan B should be?

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Regurgitating the same old stuff? No. Criticising the BOD FSS - no. My concerns is that we seem to have no plan B. I genuinely fear/worry that failure to gain promotion will see massive changes at how we as a football club operate. 

If there is a plan B (which I would be surprised if there isn’t given the foresight the board has shown in the last two years) and are talking to other interested parties then they would no doubt be under NDA’s so they won’t be able to talk about it. 

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Exactly, something you've said on numerous occasions! We all know the situation, we need to grow FSS numbers and attract the right kind of investment or, yes, we will see changes. You don't have to constantly remind us of this.

Baring the possibility of a new “third leg” investor, promotion or a cup run then plan B is obviously just cutting our cloth accordingly like 90% of clubs in the country that aren’t being bankrolled need to do, don’t see why we should be any different. At least the club is on a safe financial footing all be it what we currently spend on the playing budget may not be possible to continue into next season depending what league we are in. Which is why it’s important we try and back John Mcglynn next month as much as is safe to do so to give us the best possible chance of promotion. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Striker's a priority in January to give us another option when MacIver's not on it but it'll be very interesting to see where else we strengthen and of course who departs.

I'd imagine Allan will be chomping at the bit to go on loan as he'll know himself he doesn't fit into McGlynn's style of play. Offloading Mckay would be a dream.

Goalkeeper
1. Sam Long
31. Nicky Hogarth

Defender
2. Tom Lang
6. Coll Donaldson
26. Sean Mackie
22. Brad Mckay
3. Leon Mccann
20. Layton Bisland

Midfielder
8. Brad Spencer
5. Liam Henderson
4. Stephen McGinn
14. Finn Yeats
21. Ola Lawal
10. Aidan Nesbitt
18. Gary Oliver
7. Callumn Morrison
29. Calvin Miller
11. Alfredo Agyeman
23. Ethan Ross

Striker
9. Jordan Allan
17. Ross MacIver

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

£5 for parking tomorrow ffs greedy bar stewards 

Don't use the stadium car park, there's plenty parking in surrounding streets and West Mains Industrial Estate. You might be able to park in the new college car park

8 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Don't use the stadium car park, there's plenty parking in surrounding streets and West Mains Industrial Estate. You might be able to park in the new college car park

Those pesky away fans better not be buying pies or programmes neither. Selling them tickets is the thin end of the wedge ... 😕

19 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

How much do Kelty charge as a matter of interest?

If you can get up to ground it's free , community centre free and surrounding streets , don't think we got charged last season at yours ??  Can't really remember 🤔

Edited by Kelheart

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Plan B if we don't go up.

Budget for a decline in support funding, sponsorship, advertizing. The reasoning is that a % of the funders give up and pressure on personal finances

If it's too cautious then there are some funds for mid-season signings better that than the all too familiar cap in hand to the support with administration a certainty if it's not achieved. We have bumped that option far too often - never again.

Hybrid Full-time / part-time squad with numbers to stay within budget

Hard decisions regarding the youth setup

It's the hard and unpalatable reality of not going up this season.

Back the team and club and hopefully this is not a reality.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Goalkeeper
1. Sam Long
31. Nicky Hogarth

Defender
2. Tom Lang
6. Coll Donaldson
26. Sean Mackie
22. Brad Mckay
3. Leon Mccann
20. Layton Bisland

Midfielder
8. Brad Spencer
5. Liam Henderson
4. Stephen McGinn
14. Finn Yeats
21. Ola Lawal
10. Aidan Nesbitt
18. Gary Oliver
7. Callumn Morrison
29. Calvin Miller
11. Alfredo Agyeman
23. Ethan Ross

Striker
9. Jordan Allan
17. Ross MacIver

I love doing these things. 

You'd expect we can come out cash and squad positive through paying off a percentage of McKay's contract and getting a young guy in on loan from the Premiership. All depends on McKay agreeing (and I know I'd be tempted to sit on a contract like his) but I'd say there's a 50/50 chance.

Extending Bisland will need to be included as I'm sure his deal was only until January. Had a shaky game against QotS, and I can't remember if he's played since, but I'd probably look to keep him as full/centre back cover.

We've got 7 players to play in that 3 around the striker so wouldn't be surprised to see 1 leave. Ola, Oliver or a very decent offer for Morrison the most likely I'd suspect.

Depending on how McGinn looks when he returns to training there may be room for another CM. I'd like to think we can see another striker in even without Allan leaving.

Henderson and MacIver have been great, but there may be an option to put most of the transfer budget into one of these positions.  

Push to 950+ in the FSS by the end of the month and I can see the above being realistic.