The Falkirk FC Thread

Last year's cup run was profitable but not as much as we had hoped. The SFA reported that the costs for the OF semi were much higher than expected so instead of Falkirk being given more money after that game we had to refund some of the ticket sale cash we had taken in from our own semi. The profits from the two games are pooled and are shared out equally. That said I am very suspicious that some creative accounting didn't take place and we got screwed - there's no transparency in the costs and income - if the SFA cannot make good money from a Glasgow derby semi then they really are incompetent.

13 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

If you want to see it from a different angle. Sadly Long's mistake for the first is much more apparent. 

Why? 😱

giphy.gif.33ab5ebc0d7326825e766c5e387b9c93.gif

Edited by Bairn in Exile

6 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

If you want to see it from a different angle. Sadly Long's mistake for the first is much more apparent. 

I'm not having the second goal as his fault given how quick he's got to try react, I'm more questioning who's marking him in the first place.

Also gives a much better angle of Nesbitt's chance in the first half, really needs to be tucking that away.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, he needs dropped but the challenge is we are replacing him with another inexperienced player.

I’m surprised we didn’t sign a more experienced goalkeeper at the start of the season.

See I was just talking yesterday about how McGlynn played a blinder signing Miller, Lang and Spencer in the summer. The majority at the time including me thought it was madness those signings left us with no money to sign a right back, how wrong were we!

Weren't many experienced keepers floating about in the summer, Jamie Macdonald and Ryan Mullen were the only two other keepers we were linked with and both ended up at Morton.

2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Very fair post, maybe tell this to your manager going by his comments this morning.

Bonnyrigg were desperate for the game to be on and you can see why. Yesterday was a classic scottish cup tie. Freezing cold, blowing a gale, pitch all cut up and Bonnyrigg dealt with it better, just one of those days for you guys. I've seen lots of upset comments from Falkirk fans about yesterday but from an outsiders point of view you're clearly a very good team, on top of league 1 with a bit to spare and got a semi final to play in another cup. Your season has a vey good chance of being successful still and I wish you all the best for it.

9 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

The pitch was a real leveller (pun intended). It doesn’t come over on YouTube how much of a slope there is.

IMG_5633.jpeg

What got me was the interview on FFC TV with Ross McIver and you could see players/staff walking across the pitch after the game, It looked absolutely horrendous. I know in Scotland top flight there isn’t a lot of love for artificial surfaces but ours is a good one and certainly better than some of the grass pitches out there.

It looks to me like Nesbitt loses his man (or isn’t marking him in the first place) for the second goal which is all round dreadful defending, but I’m not having that Long shouldn’t save that. It travels a long way and he gets both hands on it, just weak, weak goalkeeping.

Many on here have highlighted the weakness of both keepers in the squad. Both have actually been making mistakes all season, the rest of the team have just been strong enough to bail them out. It’s unfair to expect that to happen all the time, and it’s now getting to the stage where if the outfield 10 aren’t firing on all cylinders, our goalkeepers are costing us points/games. I’ve thought about it hard and I think it’s a toss up between whether Hogarth or Long is a stronger keeper, but in the end we need better than both.

That winner.

Looked offside until I saw the Bonnyrigg highlights - MacIver standing on the bye line about 2 yds off the near post, stalk still.
I’d imagine he’d never practised such a position in training but seems to me he didn’t move an inch from when the corner was floated over.

Not blaming Ross at all, as I think he’s a very fine forward but questioning the set play defending.

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

The pitch was a real leveller (pun intended). It doesn’t come over on YouTube how much of a slope there is.

IMG_5633.jpeg

Thing is, it's not just one slope either, it slopes in different directions all over the place. Look at the crossbar in relation to the house behind it. I'm surprised that the SPFL allow it TBH.

I’ve now seen the second goal three times from different angles and completely changed my mind about Long being at fault. From FTV and BBC it looks like he’s got the ball but not been strong enough to push it clear. But from those Bonnyrigg highlights it’s clearly been deflected late and he did well to react to touch the ball at all. Can’t excuse the first goal though.

I genuinely think there’s little between both our keepers but I’d stick with Long for now as Hogarths performance at Hamilton was truly terrifying. Both keepers lack confidence so continually changing them after each mistake means it’ll only continue. Let’s at least give one of them a run and maybe with a few decent games behind the chosen one we may just get a decent keeper for the run in.

Of course if there’s another genuinely decent keeper available and affordable out there then fair enough…..

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ve now seen the second goal three times from different angles and completely changed my mind about Long being at fault. From FTV and BBC it looks like he’s got the ball but not been strong enough to push it clear. But from those Bonnyrigg highlights it’s clearly been deflected late and he did well to react to touch the ball at all. Can’t excuse the first goal though.

I genuinely think there’s little between both our keepers but I’d stick with Long for now as Hogarths performance at Hamilton was truly terrifying. Both keepers lack confidence so continually changing them after each mistake means it’ll only continue. Let’s at least give one of them a run and maybe with a few decent games behind the chosen one we may just get a decent keeper for the run in.

Of course if there’s another genuinely decent keeper available and affordable out there then fair enough…..

Aye, I'd stick with Long too.

That angle from Bonnyrigg highlights really shows Long’s dreadful decision making at the first goal. He’s worse at that one than the second in my opinion. What is he doing coming for that? And if he is he’s got to make sure he gets it by clearing every fucker out. Dreadful. 

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

There was chat mooted on here about McGovern coming back on loan, which I’d think would be a great piece of business and give everyone a lift.

On another topic about finances, how much money would winning the Challenge Cup final give us? I was told it was only financially worthwhile if you reached the final or won it.

25 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

That winner.

Looked offside until I saw the Bonnyrigg highlights - MacIver standing on the bye line about 2 yds off the near post, stalk still.
I’d imagine he’d never practised such a position in training but seems to me he didn’t move an inch from when the corner was floated over.

Not blaming Ross at all, as I think he’s a very fine forward but questioning the set play defending.

MacIver was injured last week, and was running out of steam after about an hour. He had a half chance with space in the box if he’d turned sharp and shot he might have scored but elected to lay the ball off.

As the game wore on whilst defending a corner almost sliced one in his own goal, combination of tiredness and pitch, then didn’t have the legs to get out and play the Bonnyrigg goal scorer offside from the winning corner.

I would have brought Agyeman on up front used him as a bettering ram. The unpredictable bounce of the ball would have made him feel at home with his close control

17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I genuinely think there’s little between both our keepers but I’d stick with Long for now as Hogarths performance at Hamilton was truly terrifying

You're basing this on one game - which we won - over the evidence of Longs last 4 outings 🤷‍♂️.

Wild as I can only point to two errors Hogarth made which led to goals. Others were poor team goals that any 'keeper would lose.

Edited by Blame Me

7 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

There was chat mooted on here about McGovern coming back on loan, which I’d think would be a great piece of business and give everyone a lift.

On another topic about finances, how much money would winning the Challenge Cup final give us? I was told it was only financially worthwhile if you reached the final or won it.

Unfortunately he joined Livingston on loan last week. 

7 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

You're basing this on one game - which we won - over the evidence of Longs last 4 outings 🤷‍♂️.

Wild as I can only point to two errors Hogarth made which led to goals. Others were poor team goals that any 'keeper would lose.

No. I’m basing it on performance over the season but in that game he got lucky a few times in the latter stages with defenders bailing him out. He was completely devoid of confidence and alarm bells were ringing in our defence.

25 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

He was completely devoid of confidence and alarm bells were ringing in our defence.

Wonder how they feel about Sam Long then, considering he's kept a clean sheet once in 4 and we've now conceded 4 in 2 and ended our run 🤔

Alloa's match analyst doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to work out he's a weak link and make him a target if he plays next week.