The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

To get Tait permanently would be an absolute coup. 

Wouldn’t call it “an absolute coup”. He’s played about 60 mins for us in total. And I must say I have been very very impressed by him. Especially in that 15 minute spell at Alloa. However, he’s had quite a few loans now and none have really worked out for him. He’s got a few months left of the season to impress and earn himself a deal with us, but he’ll need put in a right good few performances and chip in with some goals. 

3 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Wouldn’t call it “an absolute coup”. He’s played about 60 mins for us in total. And I must say I have been very very impressed by him. Especially in that 15 minute spell at Alloa. However, he’s had quite a few loans now and none have really worked out for him. He’s got a few months left of the season to impress and earn himself a deal with us, but he’ll need put in a right good few performances and chip in with some goals. 

Tait fits in to the Lang and Spencer category, where he enjoys playing under McGlynn and he gets the best out of him. I have no doubts Tait will get better if he stayed.

Edited by GunnerBairn

4 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I think we're mooing about him far too soon, if McGlynn can get him back to his Raith form then fair enough but lets wait and see how it goes first.

McGlynn will be a very happy manager with the spine of squad now signed up. The aforementioned players will have a real chance to get new deals, but undoubtedly the manager will already be talking to possible new players. Can’t remember  any close season with as many players signed. Be good to know if Miller Lang & Spencer could get extensions to 2026.

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

Taking the Falkirk rose tinted specs off for a second, from Ethan’s point of view, there’s the potential to be playing in the Premier if Raith went up and offered him an extension on more money. So the out of contract players will be weighing up scenarios of their own. With that in mind, (per bairn88’s comments)  perhaps a little caution with the club’s purse is a good thing.

Ross said he has yet to receive an offer from Raith, I don’t think he’s in a position to be to demanding or picky if we are indeed trying to sign him. He’s most certainly good enough and has shown it when he’s played, only having arguably the two best players in the league in front of him with Miller and Morrison has limited his appearances. I hope we are trying to keep him, having both him and Alfie on the bench gives us excellent depth and has no doubt kept both Miller and Morrison on their toes. A few bad games for either of them and nobody would bat an eye lid at either of them switching out for either Ross or Alfie. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Of the current first XI, we only need to get Yeats and a keeper. I can only guess plenty will be sniffing around Yeats. I still like Hogarth too - we’ve shipped a total of 15 league goals this season so I don’t want to be too harsh because of a couple of errors. 

What a position to be in though. Here’s us in February sucking our teeth over current bench players on loan from clubs at a higher level, players who do look very good. I like all three, FWIW, and see value in keeping the dressing room together. But the management team have shown how clear-eyed they can be.  

Edited by StuartA

56 minutes ago, BPM said:

Tait is the best footballer technically we have. We must try and get him. Absolute Rolls Royce. Made an impact in the 3 games he has come on in. 

Would be madness to tie him up before he's even played a full 90 minutes.  He has a chance over the next 12 games.  His cameos have been promising (though nothing like the incredible level you're suggesting) and need to see much more.  What we can't afford to do is have  passengers on high wages next season.  

10 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Ross said has yet to receive an offer from Raith, I don’t think he’s in a position to be too demanding or picky if we are indeed trying to sign him. He’s most certainly good enough and has shown it when he’s played, only having arguably the two best players in the league in front of him with Miller and Morrison has limited his appearances. I hope we are trying to keep him, having both him and Alfie on the bench gives us excellent depth and has no doubt kept both Miller and Morrison on their toes. A few bad games for either of them and nobody would bat an eye lid at either of them switching out for either Ross or Alfie. 

I doubt Raith will be offering Ross a deal, it'll come down to whether he's happy to sign with us knowing he's not first choice and what he's being offered elsewhere

A massive day yesterday, 2 players who have stuck with us even when it would’ve been easier to walk away. Leon probably had more reason than Cal but hopefully they have been rewarded- delighted to get both signed up as they are both massively important!

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Being in the Championship will also widen the pool of potential loans whose clubs will be willing to let them come.  We need to keep some powder dry to see whose available.  

Even if all those currently being discussed were signed, there's still at least five vacancies to be filled as I don't imagine Long, McKay, Bisland,  McGinn & Lawal will be here next season. Never mind the uncertainty over Mackie, Oliver and Allan. It's also possible we'll run with a larger squad in the championship as we currently have only 20. (not counting the 3 first teamers on loan) 

It'll be interesting to see how close Honeyman, Walker, Hayward & Sinclair are to the first team next season. The first two appear to be doing very well on loan and Hayward may be considered good enough to become the backup goalie. Though I've no idea how he's getting on currently at Penicuik. Ditto Sinclair at Tynecastle. 

AFAIK we also have two youth players on loan as amateurs in Shay Burke and Max McGinley. They might end up getting modern apprenticeships, which I'd be happy with as I always rated Burke in particular. 

I understand why people are saying we haven’t seen enough of Tait yet. However in his previous spell under McGlynn he was absolutely class. If we are able to get the best out of him he would be a brilliant signing and one of definitely be looking to do. 

47 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Even if all those currently being discussed were signed, there's still at least five vacancies to be filled as I don't imagine Long, McKay, Bisland,  McGinn & Lawal will be here next season. Never mind the uncertainty over Mackie, Oliver and Allan. It's also possible we'll run with a larger squad in the championship as we currently have only 20. (not counting the 3 first teamers on loan) 

It'll be interesting to see how close Honeyman, Walker, Hayward & Sinclair are to the first team next season. The first two appear to be doing very well on loan and Hayward may be considered good enough to become the backup goalie. Though I've no idea how he's getting on currently at Penicuik. Ditto Sinclair at Tynecastle. 

AFAIK we also have two youth players on loan as amateurs in Shay Burke and Max McGinley. They might end up getting modern apprenticeships, which I'd be happy with as I always rated Burke in particular. 

Where is Max McGinley? I don't remember the club announcing that

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Would be madness to tie him up before he's even played a full 90 minutes.  He has a chance over the next 12 games.  His cameos have been promising (though nothing like the incredible level you're suggesting) and need to see much more.  What we can't afford to do is have  passengers on high wages next season.  

McGlynn knows him inside out. He will have nothing to prove to McGlynn. He is a quality player and the type of player we need moving up. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Keep seeing Hayward getting MOTM for Penicuik and the fact he's managed to hold his starting spot for so long as an 18 year old is a good tell.

Not sure if Sinclair's injured as he hasn't been in the last few Tynecastle squads.

Burke's forced himself into the Drumchapel team lately which won't have been an easy feat as they have a fair few well known ex professionals. (David Templeton, David Hopkirk, Martin Mcniff)

Honeyman's a regular starter for the shire and has 5 goals + 1 assist in 12 lowland league games which is fantastic numbers. Scored directly from a corner the other week. 

Walker appears to have fell out the Camelon starting line up after being on fire at the start of his loan.

Given we were only in the reserve cup it made sense to get them all out playing regular football it'll be very interesting to see how they look when they come back in the summer. 

Edited by FFC 1876

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'd be giving Ross a contract for next season, not convinced about Tait and Shanley yet though. The good thing as we have seen with the contract extensions is we can start planning for next season already which will hopefully give us an advantage 

Based on nothing more than who has caught my eye at other clubs in league 1 I'd hope we'd be looking at

Ryan Fulton

Scott Martin 

Reece Lyon

Lewis Gibson

Taylor Steven

Blair Lyons 

Joe McGlynn

Bobby Wales (loan)

Euan Henderson 

Obviously we can't bring all these guys in or we'd have a ridiculously imbalanced squad, and in reality some robust defensive cover is probably highest on McGlynn's list now. Overall his recruitment has been very good and getting signings done early will hopefully mean we can hit the ground running next season 

Reece Lyon's decent but he's no Liam Henderson, if Hendo's not the injured key player I have no doubt we'll see that statement come true today. 

Martin signed a 2 year deal last summer, unless he's free to leave if they don't get promoted. Lyons also has another year left at Montrose.

Fulton and Steven would be excellent additions. Wales will be off down south soon I'd imagine.