The Falkirk FC Thread

It’s almost as if the people in the club knew it might take 2 years to get here from the position we were in - lowest league position in a generation and hampered by Holts signings. As we now prepare for the championship we have the likes of Lang, Spencer and Miller tied up for another season and others like McGinn, McKay, Oliver out of contract.

Im sure we’re all glad the club had a bit of foresight and didn’t panic of the Airdrie debacle. 

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We’ve had heartbreaking times, three SC cup finals that still to this day for me didn't deserve to lose, but that’s football. 
Airdrie was as difficult I’ve known, an absolutely abhorrent/capitulation display from players wearing the NB. Manager that watched and never changed the format when it was evident after the second goal we needed to change. 
Called for his head at the time.

Cant say anything apart from well done to assembling the best equipped squad we’ve had in six or so years.

I think it's still the only lingering question mark for me in regards to McGlynn. We seen glimpses of it again at Bonnyrigg where he failed to take decisive action until it was already too late. It's infuriating when everyone around you is in agreement that it isn't working, yet the person in charge can't (or won't) see it themselves. When games are still in the balance, he can be very reactive. Overall though, I think he's done a wonderful job though. 

Edited by Raybowski89

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We’ve had heartbreaking times, three SC cup finals that still to this day for me didn't deserve to lose, but that’s football. 
Airdrie was as difficult I’ve known, an absolutely abhorrent/capitulation display from players wearing the NB. Manager that watched and never changed the format when it was evident after the second goal we needed to change. 
Called for his head at the time.

Cant say anything apart from well done to assembling the best equipped squad we’ve had in six or so years.

I was in a blind rage at half time at Airdrie for the very reasons you mention and I will never apologise for wanting him sacked on the spot.

However I applaud him for the the way he has built an outstanding team ( at this level ) and thank him for the hugely enjoyable season.

It’s my honestly held opinion that I don’t think too many tears would have been shed if McGlynn had been given the boot after the Airdrie result, even among those who said they wanted him to stay. It was a capitulation like no other and the most disgusted I’ve ever been after a Falkirk game in nearly two decades of going. It’s also often forgotten in the blaze of the Airdrie result that the arse completely fell out of our season in the final quarter too. Others might disagree with that and that’s fine, it’s about opinions. I said early on I’d accepted he was going to be kept but he had a lot of work to do to get me back on board - he did that very early on with some superb recruitment and a style of play which is great to watch. He deserves an absolutely enormous amount of credit for that, as do the players he’s brought in. It’s the most fun I’ve had watching Falkirk in years and the club is in a fantastic place on and off the park.

My opinion on McGlynn is that he’s a very, very astute football manager and his strengths lie in player recruitment and building a very attractive team to watch. I do think he has limitations, particularly tactically - and when they’re exposed, they’re often exposed majorly - but you can’t argue that on the whole, it’s been two years of remarkable progress from where we were when he arrived to where we are now. Long may it continue.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It’s my honestly held opinion that I don’t think too many tears would have been shed if McGlynn had been given the boot after the Airdrie result, even among those who said they wanted him to stay. It was a capitulation like no other and the most disgusted I’ve ever been after a Falkirk game in nearly two decades of going. It’s also often forgot in the blaze of the Airdrie result that the arse completely fell out of our season in the final quarter too. Others might disagree with that and that’s fine, it’s about opinions. I said early on I’d accepted he was going to be kept but he had a lot of work to do to get me back on board - he did that very early on with some absolutely superb recruitment and a style of play which is great to watch. He deserves an absolutely enormous amount of credit for that, as do the players he’s brought in. It’s the most fun I’ve had watching Falkirk in years and the club is in a fantastic place on and off the park.

My opinion on McGlynn is that he’s a very, very astute football manager and his strengths lie in player recruitment and building a very attractive team to watch. I do think he has limitations, particularly tactically - and when they’re exposed, they’re often exposed majorly - but you can’t argue that on the whole, it’s been two years of remarkable progress from where we were when he arrived to where we are now. Long may it continue.

Very good summary of where we are at.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It’s my honestly held opinion that I don’t think too many tears would have been shed if McGlynn had been given the boot after the Airdrie result, even among those who said they wanted him to stay. It was a capitulation like no other and the most disgusted I’ve ever been after a Falkirk game in nearly two decades of going. It’s also often forgot in the blaze of the Airdrie result that the arse completely fell out of our season in the final quarter too. Others might disagree with that and that’s fine, it’s about opinions. I said early on I’d accepted he was going to be kept but he had a lot of work to do to get me back on board - he did that very early on with some absolutely superb recruitment and a style of play which is great to watch. He deserves an absolutely enormous amount of credit for that, as do the players he’s brought in. It’s the most fun I’ve had watching Falkirk in years and the club is in a fantastic place on and off the park.

Imagine if someone had told you at HT during that Airdrie game that the following season would see Falkirk remaining unbeaten into March and romping towards the title. 

Just imagine what would probably have happened if the club had went for the knee jerk reaction and binned Mcglynn after the Airdrie play off? It would have been yet another cycle of new manager, paying players off, more crazy player turnover in the summer ect ect. Thankfully calmer heads prevailed, on the whole last season was very decent considering where we were starting from, Dunfermline were just that bit more consistent then we cracked up in the later part of the season after it became obvious we weren’t going to catch them. In hindsight I’m glad the Airdrie result wasn’t looked at in isolation and we stuck by the manager and the plan looking at a bigger picture otherwise more upheaval would most likely would just have seen the club continue to spiral. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Great time to get the remaining home games sold out. The commercial team by all accounts bursting all revenues, let’s get a huge push on all socials, and get friends and family members down to the TFS. Lots of stats being thrown about today, never thought we’d equal/beat JJ & BB record, which was one of the best ever season’s being a supporter. Clydebank, if I remember with 7K fans ( thought there was more) was simply brilliant. Many fans no doubt to young to remember, enjoy the run in guys, these times don't come  along too often. 

Old enough to remember that day at Clydebank (trying to convince my dad to run on the pitch at the end, being so excited about shaking Brian Rice's hand), and home vs Meadowbank as well (Stainrod up on a table). Some of my best memories as a wee boy - hope there are lots of kids get the same this season. 

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No because a lot of people were hurting after the Airdrie result and just wanted to lash out. Hence all the vitriol over the summer. 

But when you looked back at last season there were a lot of positives. Improved performances, better league position, vastly improved recruitment and some really enjoyable games. It's undeniable that McGlynn improved us last season. 

The calls to bin him because he hadn't improved us ENOUGH were just mental. 

I don't think the calls were mental as that Airdrie game was absolutely shocking and the second leg there didn't seem to be any fight either but it was easy to forget at the time McGlynn could only piss with the cock he was given.

He should never have played the narrow diamond midfield with a crocked McGinn as the anchor but he had a defence that included Kinnear, Williamson and Brad fucking Mckay. With the latter two tackling eachother for one of the goals and Burrell sold the jersey's at the freekick, nothing a manager can do about that.

He was originally handed a 2 year deal for a reason and I'm glad the board stuck with their guns as this seasons been outstanding. Only one player potentially on the books next season that we probably all wouldn't mind leaving and given he's just bagged himself 2 goals and 2 assists in the one game we might actually be able to shift him in the summer(Clyde fancy giving us more than what we paid for him when he keeps you up?)

It's not even that we're just winning games ala Dunfermline last season, the football we're playing is fantastic to watch. Numerous players in the team you'd happily pay to watch on their own never mind in the same team. 

Talking about how much the squad seems to be getting on and I've only just realised thanks to a Hendo tweet how many of the team actually knew eachother from previous football teams.

Henderson and Morrison grew up together in the Hearts academy, Miller + Nesbitt in the Celtic academy and Mackie + Shanley in the Hibs academy with Tait also involved there later on. Lang played with Miller in the Scotland youth set up. Spencer's played with Tait, Lang & Ross at Raith. 

17 minutes ago, cbhaf said:

Old enough to remember that day at Clydebank (trying to convince my dad to run on the pitch at the end, being so excited about shaking Brian Rice's hand), and home vs Meadowbank as well (Stainrod up on a table). Some of my best memories as a wee boy - hope there are lots of kids get the same this season. 

IMG_20200516_0011.jpg

Fans hopes are everchanging dependant on various factors. After the sheerin Rennie debacle I remember most of us on here just looking to get a team back on the park that we could be proud of with playoffs seen as a decent achievement considering how bad we were the season before. That then changed to pretty close to 50/50 mcglynn stay/go after the Airdrie game. I always felt giving him the benefit of the doubt was the better choice as we'd been down the chopping and changing route for too long and there was at least progress to build on despite the Airdrie disaster. Thankfully patience has given us the reward of one of the best seasons in a long time and hopefully more to come.

Tbf with hindsight it was always going to be a two year project for McGlynn. We simply had too much of Holt's dross still on the books for him to build a title winning side immediately.

We were a bit unlucky though being up against a Dunfermline side that only lost 1 game all season. Our points total from last year would still have us top of the league this season. 

Season 90/91 is sketchy because I was only 8 but that day in 93/94 was brilliant, like the difficult second album and pulling it off. 02/03 was tinged with the nagging doubt of probably not going up and 04/05 was very successful….in a one stand stadium. This is getting promoted to the second tier but such has been the joy of an unbeaten league run, up to now, makes it a special season.

Just need to dot the I’s and cross the T’s.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven