The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

We’ve had a womens development team for a number of years and some really good players have come from it. Current womens first team goalkeeper Rachel Pirie, midfielder Iona Bridges and winger Ella Stewart spring to mind. The first two are superb and the third has massive potential. 

The development team suffered a major setback earlier in the season when one of their coaches left to join another club and took a large number of players with him. There are no transfer windows or rules surrounding player movements at this level. 

However, they attempted to rebuild and had found enough players to make up a new team.

Before I go into the next part, I should explain that all womens football at Falkirk is amateur and costs money to participate. To cover fees for referees, pitch hire, strips, travel, etc. In many cases, amateur teams raise money from monthly player fees. The senior womens team have scrapped those.  Our A licence coaches have given up any reimbursement and the team is paid for by fundraising and sponsorship from various companies. It was done that way to make it easier to attract good players. Every one of us who help the Falkirk womens team do it for the love of the game and are out of pocket because of it. Falkirk FC cover my fuel costs if I drive to Kelty to shoot the first team, as I did on Saturday, but if I drive to Dundee to shoot the women it costs me £sss.

That’s not a complaint and it’s no big deal for me, but it is for the girls. This is a direct quote from one of our former development players as to why they all left. 

"None of them have committed because of the massive monthly fee and not getting anything in return"

It’s one of the reasons why I’ve posted a few times online about womens sponsorship. And why I’d love to see our girls team brought into the main football club instead of being with the Foundation. A tiny fraction of the mens first team budget would transform our womens team.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

To be fair, one of those leagues is miles above the standard of the other two.

So we should not even count the TNS and Leverkusen ones.

I am not trying to conflate the levels of the three teams, only that they are still unbeaten in their respective leagues, regardless of the level they play at.  I think that is valid.  Would be pretty nice to have Falkirk being the only professional team in Europe at any level who were still unbeaten in their league.  Just saying.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

3 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I am not trying to conflate the levels of the three teams, only that they are still unbeaten in their respective leagues, regardless of the level they play at.  I think that is valid.  Would be pretty nice to have Falkirk being the only professional team in Europe at any level who were still unbeaten in their league.  Just saying.

I was making a little joke, that's all. 😞

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I was making a little joke, that's all. 😞

oops after re-reading your post I get it now.  Sorry.  I had a sense of humour malfunction, it's late and I'm tired.  If we were in the Bundesliga would would be guarding a 25 game beaten run right now :) 

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

9 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

Came across this in my archive, must be coming on 20 years ago I took it. Don`t know if it`s relevant to anyone on here?

team pic2.jpg

9 hours ago, Shabba said:

Majority of them are boys from Denny and Dunipace

Yeah I went to school with more than a few of those guys, man I’m feeling old 🤣

7 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We’ve had a womens development team for a number of years and some really good players have come from it. Current womens first team goalkeeper Rachel Pirie, midfielder Iona Bridges and winger Ella Stewart spring to mind. The first two are superb and the third has massive potential. 

The development team suffered a major setback earlier in the season when one of their coaches left to join another club and took a large number of players with him. There are no transfer windows or rules surrounding player movements at this level. 

However, they attempted to rebuild and had found enough players to make up a new team.

Before I go into the next part, I should explain that all womens football at Falkirk is amateur and costs money to participate. To cover fees for referees, pitch hire, strips, travel, etc. In many cases, amateur teams raise money from monthly player fees. The senior womens team have scrapped those.  Our A licence coaches have given up any reimbursement and the team is paid for by fundraising and sponsorship from various companies. It was done that way to make it easier to attract good players. Every one of us who help the Falkirk womens team do it for the love of the game and are out of pocket because of it. Falkirk FC cover my fuel costs if I drive to Kelty to shoot the first team, as I did on Saturday, but if I drive to Dundee to shoot the women it costs me £sss.

That’s not a complaint and it’s no big deal for me, but it is for the girls. This is a direct quote from one of our former development players as to why they all left. 

"None of them have committed because of the massive monthly fee and not getting anything in return"

It’s one of the reasons why I’ve posted a few times online about womens sponsorship. And why I’d love to see our girls team brought into the main football club instead of being with the Foundation. A tiny fraction of the mens first team budget would transform our womens team.

They can send their CEO to 5 star hotels abroad for days on end to a football junket but not fund this. Priorities huh? 

Edited by BPM

8 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I’d have thought the women’s team would be exactly the sort of thing the foundation should be excelling at, are the issues all purely around funding? I was under the impression the foundation was awash with money. Did they not just receive a 400k government grant? There was also 20k surplus they were given from the money fans raised doing the KM7 stand at the beginning of last season which I am told was meant to be for funding a sensory center within the stadium, as far as I’m aware that still hasn’t happened so presumably the money should still be sitting there, perhaps somebody from the club could politely suggest they use some of those funds to help the girls out if the sensory center isn’t going to happen. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just listened to latest Walking Down Hope Street podcast,  great listen with Rory Loy. He slaughters that clown Andy Thomson for slating certain players,  Houston put him in his place. Absolute charlatan who helped run our club into the ground. Him and his likes shouldn't darken our door again.

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d have thought the women’s team would be exactly the sort of thing the foundation should be excelling at, are the issues all purely around funding? I was under the impression the foundation was awash with money. Did they not just receive a 400k government grant? There was also 20k surplus they were given from the money fans raised doing the KM7 stand at the beginning of last season which I am told was meant to be for funding a sensory center within the stadium, as far as I’m aware that still hasn’t happened so presumably the money should still be sitting there, perhaps somebody from the club could politely suggest they use some of those funds to help the girls out if the sensory center isn’t going to happen. 

I have no knowledge of overall Foundation finances and so can’t comment on them.

As for “excelling at”, I have an extremely biased opinion because I’m heavily invested in the womens team. I have friendships with coaches which go back years and spend every Sunday travelling all over the country to support them. It was just over a year ago when I had a fourteen hour day taking some of our players to Golspie in my car, as did the coaches, so that the girls could play a Scottish cup tie in a town not far from Wick.

I don’t believe the Foundation excel at supporting their womens team.

One of the things that frustrates me is that Falkirk women are at the bottom of the pyramid with only the regional leagues below them. Big names such as Spartans and Montrose are three leagues above us. Gartcairn, Boroughmuir Thistle, Stirling University, Glasgow Women (not City) are two leagues above. Rossvale, East Fife, Dryburgh, Renfrew, Westdyke & Hutchison Vale are one league above. Those are massive clubs for our girls to try and compete with.🙄

I’d love to know what support those teams get from their parent organisation that allows them to be so much better than Falkirk.

I just read an article on Kyle McDonald whose unfortunately in hospital with a fractured skull. Always gives his all when he's played against us so hopefully he will have  a speedy recovery . It's only football at the end of the day.

21 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I noticed the women’s team are playing their games on the community pitch recently too. I thought they normally played in the stadium? Seems a bit of a backwards step as well.

They moved to the community pitch at the start of this season. I believe it's to save money, as there will be either no pitch fees there or reduced ones because it's owned by the Foundation. I could be wrong on that though. I also know that some of the girls prefer it, either because it's smaller or the surface was better before the main pitch was relaid. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I have no knowledge of overall Foundation finances and so can’t comment on them.

As for “excelling at”, I have an extremely biased opinion because I’m heavily invested in the womens team. I have friendships with coaches which go back years and spend every Sunday travelling all over the country to support them. It was just over a year ago when I had a fourteen hour day taking some of our players to Golspie in my car, as did the coaches, so that the girls could play a Scottish cup tie in a town not far from Wick.

I don’t believe the Foundation excel at supporting their womens team.

One of the things that frustrates me is that Falkirk women are at the bottom of the pyramid with only the regional leagues below them. Big names such as Spartans and Montrose are three leagues above us. Gartcairn, Boroughmuir Thistle, Stirling University, Glasgow Women (not City) are two leagues above. Rossvale, East Fife, Dryburgh, Renfrew, Westdyke & Hutchison Vale are one league above. Those are massive clubs for our girls to try and compete with.🙄

I’d love to know what support those teams get from their parent organisation that allows them to be so much better than Falkirk.

Might be worth raising at the upcoming FSS AGM, not sure how much control the club have over the foundation now right enough but they should certainly be an active partner and able to influence the football type aspects which this is. Pre creation of the foundation it was “Falkirk in the community” which was obviously completely and solely ran by the club so i’d like to think we still have some influence over the footballing side of things which most certainly should include the woman’s teams. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

8 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

They moved to the community pitch at the start of this season. I believe it's to save money, as there will be either no pitch fees there or reduced ones because it's owned by the Foundation. I could be wrong on that though. I also know that some of the girls prefer it, either because it's smaller or the surface was better before the main pitch was relaid. 

Fair enough. From a “growing the game” perspective it’s the sort of thing that would put me off bringing my wee ones to a game.

I wouldn’t take them to a men’s game yet, but on a nice Sunday afternoon would be willing to try them out at a women’s game if they could get a seat etc.

They get the bug, start asking to go, might translate into more fans for both teams.

Seems a bit short sighted.

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

This is a bit disturbing tbh.  I remember before the Foundation days, we had a successful women's team that supplied internationalists.  Given that the Foundation does take in a lot of community cash, I wonder why they don't fund this.  Women's football remains the fastest growing sport in the world and is finally providing actually career opportunities for women now.  We can't fall behind because of a lack of investment.

BB - finger in the air - how much would it cost to run the team for a season *without* the players, coaches etc having to pay prohibitive fees?  No-one will hold you to it, but it might focus minds a bit.

3 minutes ago, StuartA said:

This is a bit disturbing tbh.  I remember before the Foundation days, we had a successful women's team that supplied internationalists.  Given that the Foundation does take in a lot of community cash, I wonder why they don't fund this.  Women's football remains the fastest growing sport in the world and is finally providing actually career opportunities for women now.  We can't fall behind because of a lack of investment.

BB - finger in the air - how much would it cost to run the team for a season *without* the players, coaches etc having to pay prohibitive fees?  No-one will hold you to it, but it might focus minds a bit.

https://falkirkfoundation.org/efdn-conference-2023/

seemingly more important to send two people to Greece for 3 or 4 days, waste of fucking money when they're shutting down opportunities for young girls and women's development. How much did this cost with flights, hotels, expenses and so on. £10,000 maybe? unbelievable