The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Budget isn't everything. If that were the case then Queen of the South would be 2nd or 3rd in the league. If I recall correctly, their budget is higher than ours, as is Cove's. Can't recall off the top of my head what Hamilton's is.

Hamilton and Cove were both reported to have been operating with a higher football budget that Falkirk but I don’t think queen of the south were and I doubt that would have been the case anyway. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

30 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Lowest budget in the league and sitting 4th (albeit we have dropped down after losing against Ayr but two games in hand). Won the challenge cup. Won league cup group. Reached 5th round in Scottish cup (falkirk got beat by Bonnyrigg in previous round). 

Fair play if you go unbeaten but your budget is significantly larger than almost every team in the league. It is not a huge shock that you are walking the league. 

Christ, I thought you were at the wind up too!!

24 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Lowest budget in the league and sitting 4th (albeit we have dropped down after losing against Ayr but two games in hand). Won the challenge cup. Won league cup group. Reached 5th round in Scottish cup (falkirk got beat by Bonnyrigg in previous round). 

Fair play if you go unbeaten but your budget is significantly larger than almost every team in the league. It is not a huge shock that you are walking the league. 

We only have the third biggest budget in league one yet are 19 points ahead of the team with one of the two biggest. Arbroath's part time squad surely must be the smallest budget in your league? You could still be in a relegation fight too who knows. If you were in a similar position as  Arbroath were a couple of years ago and in the running for the title then different story but you could come anywhere between 4th and second bottom.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

We only have the third biggest budget in league one yet are 19 points ahead of the team with one of the two biggest. Arbroath's part time squad surely must be the smallest budget in your league? You could still be in a relegation fight too who knows. If you were in a similar position as  Arbroath were a couple of years ago and in the running for the title then different story but you could come anywhere between 4th and second bottom.

I did acknowledge that in previous point about the fact we could finish 8th-9th. If that happens then I’ll happily vote for mcglynn 

Just now, Aufc said:

I did acknowledge that in previous point about the fact we could finish 8th-9th. If that happens then I’ll happily vote for mcglynn 

And Arbroath have played less players this season than Airdrie. 30 to Airdrie's 34.

30 minutes ago, Aufc said:

A manager whose team has lost more games than they have won is not going to win manager of the year.

3rd biggest budget btw with a league record that is better than any club in the top 4 leagues in Scotland and England.  If it was that easy to do what Falkirk have done this year, why hasn't everyone done it?

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

What's this about Airdrie being preseason favourites to go down?

You guys blasted through the playoffs, had tremendous momentum, a canny manager, and with Arbroath, QP, Morton and Ayr around, you were never everyone's selection to be last.*

*preference, maybe 😉

45 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The Scottish Premiership Trophy:

This is the Day – Scottish Premiership post-spilt fixture ...

The Scottish Cup

Rangers captain James Tavernier uses fan group's megaphone to celebrate Scottish  Cup win at Hampden | The Scottish Sun

The won the league cup group trophy:

image.jpeg.82e6b348cd687ace8de6ff57e1b99446.jpeg

Agree. Can't recall anyone suggesting Airdrie would go down.  McCabe has no chance of winning MOTY unless they go up via play offs.  

I can't see McGlynn getting it either, purely for our achievements being in league 1.  If we'd had last seasons cup run this year it might have been different.  

If Hearts can win the cup or reach the final then I expect Naismith will get it.  the media would love to give it to Derek McInnes too.  

Another contender would be Ian Murray if Raith can pip Utd 

37 minutes ago, Baggio said:

A manager whose team has lost more games than they have won is not going to win manager of the year.

3rd biggest budget btw with a league record that is better than any club in the top 4 leagues in Scotland and England.  If it was that easy to do what Falkirk have done this year, why hasn't everyone done it?

Does anybody know if any teams have previously went unbeaten in league one? I'm pretty sure Rangers did in 2014 off the top of my head but I can't think of any others. If Rangers are indeed the only ones to do it, then that says it all. They were paying Kevin Kyle £3K per week in the bottom league ffs!

56 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Hamilton and Cove were both reported to have been operating with a higher football budget that Falkirk but I don’t think queen of the south were and I doubt that would have been the case anyway. 

I've possibly gotten Hamilton and QotS mixed up. I'm sober now from the weekend so can't even blame it on the drink 🤣

Airdrie and Dunfermline are pretty much exactly where I expected them to be in the Championship this season, regardless of budget. Without their injury crisis Dunfermline would probably be 3rd 

McCabe has certainly done a good job at Airdrie but the idea of him being in the running for MotY is laughable. 

Good to see that despite reaching the championship the fans of the 'league cup group stage winners'  are as tinpot as ever

Just now, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Good to see that despite reaching the championship the fans of the 'league cup group stage winners'  are as tinpot as ever

Does that qualify them for a star above their badge?

great to see old faces on Saturday, smiles on everyone's faces.  The doldrum years has made this title sweet.  feels like our club is back!

Think Tait looks a player.  Would try to tie him down.

even in this mad delusion Ian Murray's Raith Rovers taking Dundee United all the way is far superior to Airdrie's season?  they're 19 points ahead having played one game more.

21 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Does anybody know if any teams have previously went unbeaten in league one? I'm pretty sure Rangers did in 2014 off the top of my head but I can't think of any others. If Rangers are indeed the only ones to do it, then that says it all. They were paying Kevin Kyle £3K per week in the bottom league ffs!

I did have a look on the way back from Cove the other week. Rangers are the only other team to go unbeaten since the 3rd tier was introduced back in the 80s (I think that's when the old 14 team division was brought in?). I don't know about earlier iterations of the 3rd tier but certainly in the modern era and the current 10 team set up, the only unbeaten ones are Rangers and us (so far)

Edited by blatso