The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Widge said:

Even that doesn't make sense, I've always been of the mind that a team who finishes 4th in a 10 team league does not deserve even a slight chance at promotion to the top flight. It should be 11th vs 2nd and be done with it, albeit the Championship team then gains an edge by having less games to play and some recovery time, but so be it. 

Fair point but if 4th isnt getting a go, then I'd have the 11th place team straight down and a 2nd vs 3rd play off for promotion tbh 

Only changing 1 club a year in a 12 team league (where they already play eachother 4 times) means most fixtures become incredibly repetitive and dull. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

6 hours ago, StuartA said:

I have half-a-memory that we had a decent drainage system installed when the stadium when up, something to do with the ponds between the stadium and the Falkirk Road side.  Anyone else remember?

Remember seeing pictures of the pitch area being excavated 6-10ft deep then filled with various grades of hardcore. Each layer topped with a mesh overlay and topped with gravel then sand.

Must be archive pictures and details in the club records, maybe they could assist.

6 hours ago, Blame Me said:

My thoughts exactly.

Play them at their own game and show the farce that allowing subsets of their membership to vote on issues that affect the whole is!

The SPFL top-flight and its administrators have done more to kill off the game in Scotland than promote it with these protectionist measures.

The proposed SPFL pitches will have high running, maintenance costs. Relegated clubs will struggle to finance them due to the lower league payments.

Insisting on Championship standard pitches certainly puts them on the spot. 

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think the long term ambition should definitely be for the club to return to a grass pitch. However, the current proposal would force any promoted club with an artificial surface to use most of their playing budget to tear up and replace a perfectly adequate surface.

That is not good from a fairness or competitive perspective, as the promoted side would be virtually guaranteed to go straight back down. 

Which could be exactly what the SPFL are trying to gerrymander

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Fair point but if 4th isnt getting a go, then I'd have the 11th place team straight down and a 2nd vs 3rd play off for promotion tbh 

Only changing 1 club a year in a 12 team league (where they already play eachother 4 times) means most fixtures become incredibly repetitive and dull. 

Given the premiership currently finishes a fair bit after the championship I don’t mind them not having to play the same number of games. Have always thought it should be 2nd v 3rd over 2 legs then a one off neutral playoff at a reasonable location v the premiership 11th team. Short and sweet and filled with jeopardy.

I find it difficult to get up for the 3rd v 4th championship game. Almost impossible to get through 2 further ties after it. 

16 minutes ago, Senator Frimpton said:

As a sporting principal I'm not sure why play offs aren't 3rd bottom v 3rd and 2nd bottom v 2nd.

Then again this is the wretched spfl we're talking about

Comes down to timing but also top tier teams are never going to vote for it either.

33 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I thought those days were gone and 'Uncle Roy' had stopped pissing money up a wall.

Uncle Roy will have a few quid stashed away in a money belt for emergencies. Besides which with the money they will get for being relegated their cash is theirs unlike Livi's who's will have every board member, owners, lawyers etc holding their hand out for their share. 

7 hours ago, Widge said:

Even that doesn't make sense, I've always been of the mind that a team who finishes 4th in a 10 team league does not deserve even a slight chance at promotion to the top flight. It should be 11th vs 2nd and be done with it, albeit the Championship team then gains an edge by having less games to play and some recovery time, but so be it. 

Aye but that's still nowhere near the advantage of having started the season off with over a million quid more in the pocket prize money wise over the championship club. That makes it such an unlevel playing field that it's amazing any championship side has ever gone up via the playoffs 

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Exactly, In an ideal world we would have a grass pitch. This is not an ideal world.  The money required for a club at our level to maintain a good grass pitch could be better spent elsewhere. that goes for almost every club in Scotland

Never mind the upkeep of the pitch the cost to either build or hire training facilities is huge and frankly unfeasible for the vast majority of clubs outside the top flight.  I've seen the fact that junior sides can provide perfectly good grass pitches being used as evidence against artificial but then they don't have to train on these pitches 5 days a week aswell as playing every other Saturday. You simply cannot do that and keep a grass pitch in good condition. Not only would we have the cost of installing a new pitch and maintaining it we would also have this as an extra burden . I seem to remember the cost to use Stirling for training was astronomical.  Kilmarnock are only able to move to grass from 25/26 because Billy Bowie is financing the building of a brand new training complex for them at the end of the day.