The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Maybe getting long in the tooth but I increasingly find that when X is offered as a solution to a players deficiencies then 9/10 times that player isn't going to improve - Ola and Allan being the most recent examples.

Those that are going to kick-on usually do it in relatively short order instead of waiting for the stars to align.

I like Alfie but I just can't see him dislodging others.

Totally get that but he really has been behind some of the relatively speaking, best performers imaginable at the level. He's have done his fair share of damage of he was first choice last year. Likewise Ethan Ross who was well liked by the Raith fans at Championship level. 

Morrison and Miller absolute hosed that league last season and were completely undroppable

I would expect the reason stone didn't sign would be that he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot unlike at Ayr. Hogarth for me was always going to start the season as number one. Sneddon is obviously happy to come in and fight for his place.  Mcglynn is just being straight with the fans. The money has been spent and he understands that the board just can't fling money at the side.  Any expectations quite rightly need to be tempered . I would expect though a couple of loan signings still especially if we manage to confirm our place in the next round of the league cup. 

An excellent way to stretch the budget would be by pumping Stenny on Saturday to win the group and make it to the last 16.

Given we were in pot 3 for the draw you'd assume we had allowed for the third position prize money

Screenshot2024-07-26at10_21_17.thumb.png.90be3d96a346bd2b81d581613067b649.png

21 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

An excellent way to stretch the budget would be by pumping Stenny on Saturday to win the group and make it to the last 16.

Given we were in pot 3 for the draw you'd assume we had allowed for the third position prize money

Screenshot2024-07-26at10_21_17.thumb.png.90be3d96a346bd2b81d581613067b649.png

So ideally (and I’d never normally want this) but you want either of the bum cheeks away so that you get the extra £24k minimum for going out, TV cash of £30k and whatever 1/2 of the gate looks like. Sounds like an easy £100k minimum though between all of that. 2 players at this level, in theory? 

Edited to add, more likely £150k-£200k if you’d be getting £90k minimum for just making round 2 (TV & Prize money).

Edited by RC55 FFC

2 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

So ideally (and I’d never normally want this) but you want either of the bum cheeks away so that you get the extra £24k minimum for going out, TV cash of £30k and whatever 1/2 of the gate looks like. Sounds like an easy £100k minimum though between all of that. 2 players at this level, in theory? 

And once you’ve beaten one bum cheek in that round repeat against the other bum cheek in the next round.

These football finances are a piece of piss really.

Edited by grumpyoldman

11 hours ago, BPM said:

GK
Hogarth Sneddon 

Defence

Mackie Donaldson Adams Yeats Henderson McCann Laing

Midfield

Spencer Tait Oliver Nesbitt McKenna 

Wingers

Morrison Alfie Ross Miller

Strikers

MacIver Shanley 

= 20

Two in defence can play midfield. Two fullbacks can cover CH. 

Two midfield can play as strikers 

Two Wingers can play No.10, one as CF, one at fullback, one centrally a part of a two

One striker can cover CH, one can play as No.10

McGlynn has plenty of options all over the pitch. At a stretch he has every position well covered. Probably only CF where is options are limited and he could do with competition especially if MacIver is injured or dips badly in form. 

It's the future of football that players are capable in whatever position or situation they find themselves in on the pitch. As listed the squad is versatile which is good for the team and the individuals

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Edited to add, more likely £150k-£200k if you’d be getting £90k minimum for just making round 2 (TV & Prize money).

Laid bare is the reality that getting out of the groups tomorrow could be absolutely crucial to our season. We need to be realistic and understand (as per McGlynn's comments in the Herald this week) that it's going to be incredibly tough this season but I do honestly believe we're only two signings away from being in a relatively strong position to push for promotion. Get out the groups and hopefully we'll be able to bring in a CB and a CF.

37 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Laid bare is the reality that getting out of the groups tomorrow could be absolutely crucial to our season. We need to be realistic and understand (as per McGlynn's comments in the Herald this week) that it's going to be incredibly tough this season but I do honestly believe we're only two signings away from being in a relatively strong position to push for promotion. Get out the groups and hopefully we'll be able to bring in a CB and a CF.

Agreed- think we had/have a real opportunity to compete at the top end with just a few extra pieces of quality as we have the basis of a really good squad.

I just hope a way can be found to fund this as I don’t think there’ll be a big gap points wise between a ‘good’ and ‘average’ or ‘poor’ season points wise.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

I’m not buying this “McGlynn is simply trying to get a bit of reality to the fans, and keep their feet on the ground” there’s not one fan that I know expects us to get promotion, most I know would be happy with an upper table placing maybe a top four finish, many have said as long as we’re not fighting to stay up.
With the squad assembled I genuinely think we’ll do well, but unlike last year there will be games where we don’t win and that simply is life in a league with very evenly balanced teams. 

I’m hoping that the CEO confirms that McGlynns comments have been cleverly edited. If not it’s a cheap shot at the people who have went out their way in backing the club. 

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m not buying this “McGlynn is simply trying to get a bit of reality to the fans, and keep their feet on the ground” there’s not one fan that I know expects us to get promotion, most I know would be happy with an upper table placing maybe a top four finish, many have said as long as we’re not fighting to stay up.
With the squad assembled I genuinely think we’ll do well, but unlike last year there will be games where we don’t win and that simply is life in a league with very evenly balanced teams. 

I’m hoping that the CEO confirms that McGlynns comments have been cleverly edited. If not it’s a cheap shot at the people who have went out their way in backing the club. 

As stated by others I personally don’t buy into this narrative that’s he’s having a go at the people (fans) who are backing the club. All he’s saying is he does not have the same budget as teams around about us. 

Edited by Big chungus

32 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

As stated by others I personally don’t buy into this narrative that’s he’s having a go at the people (fans) who are backing the club. All he’s saying is he does not have the same budget as teams around about us. 

Willing to give benefit-of-the-doubt that he's badly worded the answer:

"The board have got to be serious about that. They can’t be playing silly b*****s."

It may have been better to say - my emphasis:

"As long as we’re developing, improving and showing signs of that, the fans will look for that.

"That’s got to be reflected in the budget as well. We don’t have a budget that’s anywhere near getting out of this league and people have got to be serious about that ... from the fans right upto the directors.

That would have taken any ambiguity out of the situation. As it is you can speculate that there is a stooshie brewing or that it's a storm in a tea cup.

Grist for this week's mill I suppose!

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Is the silly buggers/b*****ds quote not just saying they cant be silly with money?

You can definitely infer that and it probably was meant to be taken that way but the preceding part of the interview suggests the context could be that the BoD are possibly setting unrealistic expectations 🤷‍♂️

It's unclear and perhaps that's why it's caused such a kerfuffle.

7 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Is the silly buggers/b*****ds quote not just saying they cant be silly with money?

This exactly. The FH haven't exactly helped by making "buggers" look like "b*****ds" with some unnecessary asterisks. Not a huge difference but enough to make it seem like McGlynn was having a dig when he clearly wasn't. He's just trying to manage expectations and get the point across that the board have to be careful with money and can't go overspending to try and go for promotion.

3 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

If we have 20 senior players then I don’t think it’s unfair for McGlynn to want a couple more to take us to 22/23.

The league starts next weekend and the scum only have 16 senior players signed so we're cooshty. Another 2 in on loan when some quality becomes available would be ideal.

On a completely different vein I see ICT have accepted an offer for a majority stake from a "sports venture capitalist".

The Mark Campbell episode immediately springs to mind 😨.

Must now be the most at risk club in the SPFL 😬.

Edited by Blame Me
Caley are fucked

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

On a completely different vein I see ICT have accepted an offer for a majority stake from a "sports venture capitalist".

The Mark Campbell episode immediately springs to mind 😨.

Must now be the most at risk club in the SPFL 😬.

Also Cove censured and fined 

15 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

This exactly. The FH haven't exactly helped by making "buggers" look like "b*****ds" with some unnecessary asterisks. Not a huge difference but enough to make it seem like McGlynn was having a dig when he clearly wasn't. He's just trying to manage expectations and get the point across that the board have to be careful with money and can't go overspending to try and go for promotion.

Not sure I took it this way. However it was meant it shouldn’t have been said in this way.