The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Starting to enjoy all these folks patronising us with the "I think you guys could just about get into the play offs", and all the "You were playing plumbers and postmen last year",  "The Championship is a step up". If we beat the favourites Partick in a couple of weeks I wonder if any back tracking will start to take place?

Anybody doing that just hasn’t been paying attention. The bookies, as usual, generally have their fingers on the pulse and most have you at least joint favourites for the league right now. Yourselves and Ayr are looking like the teams to beat right now and there’s no reason why just settling for play offs and patting yourselves on the back with that should be the limit of your ambitions this season.

Edited by Enigma

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Anybody doing that just hasn’t been paying attention. The bookies, as usual, generally have their fingers on the pulse and most have you at least joint favourites for the league now. Yourselves and Ayr are looking like the teams to beat right now and there’s no reason why just settling for play offs and patting yourselves on the back with that should be the limit of your ambitions this season.

Actually Raith and Partick remain the bookies favourites. 
I actually disagree that it’s going to be tight from top to bottom this season and expect the above two with Ayr and Livvy (and hopefully ourselves) vying for the title. I just cannot see any of the others challenging for top spot.

Still makes for a very exciting and entertaining league at both the top and bottom this season…..

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I actually disagree that it’s going to be tight from top to bottom this season and expect the above two with Ayr and Livvy (and hopefully ourselves) vying for the title. I just cannot see any of the others challenging for top spot.

Still makes for a very exciting and entertaining league at both the top and bottom this season…..

Skybet have yourselves, us and Partick all joint favourites at 4/1.

Yeah, something like we saw two seasons ago where we had for most of the season a top 5 and a bottom 5 could emerge. I actually hope it isn’t too tight a league this season and a wee promotion group can break away fairly early on (hopefully including us) a bit like last season with us, Dundee Utd and Partick.

Edited by Enigma

40 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We’ve played 2 games. My hopes for a top 4 finish are now higher but talk of a title challenge is premature imo. QP at home and a league 1 level Dunfermline are about the easiest fixtures you could hope for. Let’s see where we are after 10 games or so 

I don't see us as making credible title challenge. Would be over the moon if we did. I think the squad is a tiny wee bit too thin for that. 

I other teams have both spent more money than us over summer, and will have more to bolster in January if it's all tight. They also started from a higher base than us. That's my realists view of the title race. 

That said, and we all know the playoffs are a slog, it might be that we have a better chance of promotion by getting ourselves into the playoffs rather than slugging out and losing a title race. We've seen in recent seasons teams that have came close then look like their race is well and truly run. 

Trouble is you can't time that really. The way our budget is this season we can't afford to take the free hit angle as a club, but as a fan I'm putting no pressure on this team because iv never enjoyed the football this much in ages and I don't want that to change. 

If, and a big if, we were to get promoted our astroturf park would have to be ripped up and replaced with grass within two years. 

One of those things that could be potentially disastrous for the club if the finances aren't right at the time.

14 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

If, and a big if, we were to get promoted our astroturf park would have to be ripped up and replaced with grass within two years. 

One of those things that could be potentially disastrous for the club if the finances aren't right at the time.

Would be funny to go up, spend nothing on the squad or grass, and just harvest the money for a year making the arse cheeks and their lackey clubs play on astro for another season though 

49 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

We’ve played 2 games. My hopes for a top 4 finish are now higher but talk of a title challenge is premature imo. QP at home and a league 1 level Dunfermline are about the easiest fixtures you could hope for. Let’s see where we are after 10 games or so 

Where do I say that we are definitely in for a title challenge?….

7 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Jamie Swinney advised on the podcast it would be paid for using budget from an increased Premiership budget. That will obviously impact how well we may do in the Premiership (whenever that is). 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Would be funny to go up, spend nothing on the squad or grass, and just harvest the money for a year making the arse cheeks and their lackey clubs play on astro for another season though 

I very much think that if we were to go up that’s what we would do. We would need to accrue revenue from being in the top flight to pay for the ‘upgrade’ and to consolidate our position in the top league before embarking on this stupid self preserving idea that the ‘haves’ of Scottish football have foisted upon us for no reasonable reason…,,

An update following yesterday’s podcast. We are hearing that Coll Donaldson has text Ewen Cameron this morning and said he WONT be Hearts daft this weekend contrary to Ewen’s opinion. Class. 😂

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wouldn't be against that and spend the year lobbying for change. If none happens we get kicked out and pocket the couple of million that the season would bring

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

An update following yesterday’s podcast. We are hearing that Coll Donaldson has text Ewen Cameron this morning and said he WONT be Hearts daft this weekend contrary to Ewen’s opinion. Class. 😂

Coll mentioned getting it up his brother(s) last weekend IIRC 

8 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Hendo's dad must've been chinning him.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hendo's dad must've been chinning him.

Very possibly. Willie listens every week 👍🏼.

That said, when we were in for the armband launch in July, both Coll and Brad asked if the podcast would be out that week as they’ve missed it so maybe some of them do. 

We received SFA funding to lay that pitch and could be tearing it up in less than 3 years due to the whims of 11 Premiership clubs. That would be an incredibly poor use of what is essentially government money. You'd like to think the SFA might have something to say about this completely arbitrary rule as I'm sure we're not the only ones to receive this grant.

22 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:92 IDENTITY, UNITY, PASSION - MORE THAN JUST 90 MINS

🔵 Review the BIG derby win with Scott Henderson from Crunchy Carrots 🥕🏁
⚪️ @FalkirkWomen_ sponsorship ©️🫡
🔵 Preview Hearts cup tie with Jambos fan Ewen Cameron🎙️👀
⚪️ Disco lights excitement🕺🏼🪩 &
🔵 All the latest Bairns news discussed 🗞️

📺 🎧📱www.falkirkdaft.co.uk

Thanks as always to our Headline Sponsors:

Falkirk FFIT T8’s who have just come back from a friendly with Ness FC on the Isle of Lewis (update on this weeks podcast from Dougie McCallum) 🤝🏼 &

Behind The Wall who have limited bus seats remaining for the Hearts cup tie 🚌. Get in touch with Scott behind the bar📱🍻

E60A5F69-F7F3-440A-88CC-42EB879578AC.thumb.jpeg.ddbc5a7f88a96ec3c071585a847197e9.jpeg

Thank you to both yourself and John for the podcast again this week. I actually enjoyed Ewan Cameron and Steven Mill the last two weeks, they're both clearly at the wind up and talking with their tongues in cheeks. 

That said, we've pumped Mill's team and I really really hope we pump Cameron's!

46 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

We received SFA funding to lay that pitch and could be tearing it up in less than 3 years due to the whims of 11 Premiership clubs. That would be an incredibly poor use of what is essentially government money. You'd like to think the SFA might have something to say about this completely arbitrary rule as I'm sure we're not the only ones to receive this grant.

NO SFA money involved at all.. It was a loan to be paid off over 20 years (interest free) from the Scottish govt that I (and another well known Bairn who cannot reveal his name because of his job) negotiated from a special fund for football on behalf of the FSS. That said I do think the Scottish government should complain that we will be forced to waste that money if we go up.