The Falkirk FC Thread

I think it's unlikely McGlynn will make many or indeed any changes from the team that started against little Morton. He takes the cups seriously and only tends to make changes when mid week.  I don't expect Stenhousemuir to be any easier than the wee team from grubby Greenock

I'd be tempted by 3 changes for Saturday,  nothing wholesale. 

Alfie because he deserves it but I'm pleased it's not my call who drops out for him.

Shanley because this is the game to see what he can do and whether we need another forward on loan, if it's possible (and Maciver needs wrapped in cotton wool).

Yeats in for Tait to get him minutes as Tait is averaging a booking every other game (I know only after 4 games) so we may need Yeats in at some point.

Morrison and Nesbitt if fit can come on later to get minutes but no point in risking from the start in this one.

29 minutes ago, One off poster said:

I'd be tempted by 3 changes for Saturday,  nothing wholesale. 

Alfie because he deserves it but I'm pleased it's not my call who drops out for him.

Shanley because this is the game to see what he can do and whether we need another forward on loan, if it's possible (and Maciver needs wrapped in cotton wool).

Yeats in for Tait to get him minutes as Tait is averaging a booking every other game (I know only after 4 games) so we may need Yeats in at some point.

Morrison and Nesbitt if fit can come on later to get minutes but no point in risking from the start in this one.

Agree 100% but I’d also start with McKenna in the #10 role. 

The strength of the squad means any rotation would likely see 2 guys who were integral to our invincibles last season and made it to League 1 team of the year (Yeats and MCcann) coming in, plus putting in one or two of Morrison, Mckenna or Agyeman. We are in a very good spot at the moment

13 hours ago, Sarah67 said:

First half he was pretty poor. McGlynn obviously gave him a roasting at half time and he did much better second half. 

Tait and Hendo were best we all thought. 

Christ Ross's brilliant run and pass created our equaliser. 

I’d put Yeats, McCann and Alfie in. I also wouldn’t necessarily be averse to giving Shanley a start, but unsure if McGlynn will do that.

I’ve always liked the Challenge Cup and realistically, besides a lower league title, it’s the best chance we’ll ever get to win something. That, along with the increased prize money, we should definitely be giving it a good go.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

26 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

The strength of the squad means any rotation would likely see 2 guys who were integral to our invincibles last season and made it to League 1 team of the year (Yeats and MCcann) coming in, plus putting in one or two of Morrison, Mckenna or Agyeman. We are in a very good spot at the moment

Would like to see more of McKenna since I've stated I'm not wholly convinced by him. However, would also like to get Nesbitt minutes as I think his work rate will be needed against Celtic.

I think Rodgers won't want to be seen to disrespect McGlynn following his praise and so we'll see a fairly full strength team from them to start and get the game won before he introduces any fringe players wholesale. Bit of a double-edged sword in that one 😬

McGlynn has surely learned his lesson from Edinburgh City. I would agree with others that 3-4 changes would be fine for freshness and keeping the team competitive. Same shape as usual and try to limit the rotation to player per area of the pitch. 

McCann -> Mackie

Yeats -> Tait

Alife -> Miller

Shanley -> McIver

Edited by lanky_ffc

35 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

McGlynn has surely learned his lesson from Edinburgh City. I would agree with others that 3-4 changes would be fine for freshness and keeping the team competitive. Same shape as usual and try to limit the rotation to player per area of the pitch. 

McCann -> Mackie

Yeats -> Tait

Alife -> Miller

Shanley -> McIver

I agree. I think our biggest problem this season will be squad depth if we get an injury or two and we need to have the backups as sharp as possible.

Aside from Shanley I think we can be pretty sure about those players coming in. Shanley will want to make his mark too and I don't see when else he'll start.

58 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

McCann -> Mackie

Yeats -> Tait

Alife -> Miller

Shanley -> McIver

Much stronger squad to choose from than the Edinburgh City game.

As I have already posted we should be more than capable of taking care of this match even with a few changes to the team.

OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:95 LIFE, THE UNIVERSE & EVERYTHING

🔵 Review the 3-2 win over Greenock Morton with Ray Wilson Furby! ⚽
⚪️ Falkirk Daft LIVE tickets on sale soon! 🎟️
🔵 @FalkirkWomen_ Hit Airdrie for SEVEN! 7️⃣
⚪️ Preview the Stenhousemuir (A) cup tie with @terracepodcast own Craig Telfer! ⚔️
🔵 PLUS All of the latest FFC news! 🗞️

Episode Sponsor: Falkirk District Tartan Army 🤝🏼

Headline Sponsors Falkirk FFIT T8’s & Behind The Wall

A894B2C0-ABFC-4525-BEDC-6BD67F86CDD4.thumb.jpeg.2e761eeab437a6ec33195ad8f3b8b471.jpeg

It’s actually very hard to maintain a deep squad of 18-20 players if you don’t rotate. If you take as being 38 league games and at least 7, but hopefully several more in the cups, that’s 45-50 matches plus potential playoffs at the end.

Players like Yeats, McCann and McKenna might be happy with 10-20 starts over that period, but if they’re only ever coming off the bench or filling in for injuries and suspensions then they’ll get pissed off and want away. If that happens then bench spots would be taken up by youth players and an injury to Adams, Mackie or Nesbitt becomes a catastrophe rather than just an annoyance like it is now.

It’s probably the one criticism I have of McGlynn right now. “Never change a winning team” makes sense as a short term strategy but in the long term is can really hurt the overall squad dynamics.

Finn Yeats, Leon McCann and Michael McKenna are way too good to sit on the bench all season and we’re going to struggle to keep them if they aren’t rotated in. Same with Tom Lang once he is back from injury.

I think an Edinburgh esque wholesale change would be a poor move (although the depth this year is significantly better than last year imo) but I think making 1-2 little tweaks every few games is absolutely healthy. 

1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s actually very hard to maintain a deep squad of 18-20 players if you don’t rotate. If you take as being 38 league games and at least 7, but hopefully several more in the cups, that’s 45-50 matches plus potential playoffs at the end.

Players like Yeats, McCann and McKenna might be happy with 10-20 starts over that period, but if they’re only ever coming off the bench or filling in for injuries and suspensions then they’ll get pissed off and want away. If that happens then bench spots would be taken up by youth players and an injury to Adams, Mackie or Nesbitt becomes a catastrophe rather than just an annoyance like it is now.

It’s probably the one criticism I have of McGlynn right now. “Never change a winning team” makes sense as a short term strategy but in the long term is can really hurt the overall squad dynamics.

Finn Yeats, Leon McCann and Michael McKenna are way too good to sit on the bench all season and we’re going to struggle to keep them if they aren’t rotated in. Same with Tom Lang once he is back from injury.

I think an Edinburgh esque wholesale change would be a poor move (although the depth this year is significantly better than last year imo) but I think making 1-2 little tweaks every few games is absolutely healthy. 

They'll be disappointed not to be starting but we've been winning every week so they'll understand they need to bide their time and take their chances when they do get on the park. Just like Agyeman has done in his last few sub appearances.

If McGlynn rotates the squad at Stenny then they'll have a chance to show they deserve to be starting exactly how it should be.

Edinburgh away he also changed shape completely and players spent the first half looking like they didn’t know where they were playing. Doubt McGlynn will make the same mistake again (although that being said, he does seem to have one game a season where he just decides to have a total brainfart - Kelty away, Edinburgh away - must admit I’m a little intrigued as to when it’ll happen this year!)

Edited by 18BAIRN76

42 games unbeaten in the league, Saturday was our 8th time coming back from a losing position in that run.

Cove (A) August 2023 2-2

Montrose (H) September 2023 3-2

Edinburgh (H) November 2023 2-1

Edinburgh (A) January 2024 2-2

Stirling (A) March 2024 2-1

QOS (A) March 2024 4-1

Alloa (H) April 2024 2-2

Morton (A) August 2024 3-2

Edited by FFC 1876