The Falkirk FC Thread

Grrrr - all, and I really do mean just about every rebuilding job needs to be built on a solid defence. I'd be far happier having the defence and goalkeeper see out a full preseason with late additions up front if need be.

Call me a cynic but I don't think scoring goals is going to be our major headache next season....

I do not know much about Bowman however loosing 5 against United does not fill me full of confidence. I would like to see a realiable keeper brought in asap and anything else is a bonus. Yes goals wins games however conseeding them will make it even tougher to get results.

Yep, I think keeper is a much underrated position. A bad keeper can cost you games on their own. A shit left back usually needs help (I'm looking at Scobbie here)That said, it's probably the easiest position to get a loan signing from England in or a free agent looking for a club before the start of the season. As Hughes showed a number of times, with varying success. I'd expect one to arrive the week before the first league game at the latest. More alarming to me would be the lack of goals and creativity. Look how bad Pressley did last season with the (and it's all relative) better resources at his disposal, with Deuchar, Finnigan, McManus, Stewart, Flynn. I think we could have a comedy low goalscoring tally this time round, with such a negative manager, and such a poor list of options up front.

I'm going to assume Bolton will be paying all of his wages, otherwise what is the point in signing another defender when the budget is so tight? He sounds quite promising but I suppose we'll just have to see how he does in the navy blue.

Flynn will be a huge loss. Even in the games where he was quieter he still had 3 players on him every time he got the ball, the rest of our players will have less time to play short square balls in their own half now.

Yep, I think keeper is a much underrated position. A bad keeper can cost you games on their own. A shit left back usually needs help (I'm looking at Scobbie here)That said, it's probably the easiest position to get a loan signing from England in or a free agent looking for a club before the start of the season. As Hughes showed a number of times, with varying success. I'd expect one to arrive the week before the first league game at the latest. More alarming to me would be the lack of goals and creativity. Look how bad Pressley did last season with the (and it's all relative) better resources at his disposal, with Deuchar, Finnigan, McManus, Stewart, Flynn. I think we could have a comedy low goalscoring tally this time round, with such a negative manager, and such a poor list of options up front.

I fear you could be right. Its early pre season and we have scored 6 however with Stewart, Finnegan and Deuchar gone along with Flynn pretty much gone ( still hoping we can hold onto McManus) you have to wonder who our regular, recognised goal scorer will be.

Heres hoping we have a fan wins the lotto between now and August and injects mega bucks...... Messi would do for starts!!!!

It's pretty much impossible to say at this stage what the team who trots out for Game 1 will be anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 3 at least in that side who aren't even at the club yet.

I'm not sure it matters either. In some ways having no strikers will just encourage the useless clownshoes in the dugout to play 1 up front and pass the ball aimlessly around the back. Which of itself may help limit the goals against.

Anyone going to the two games up north? My folks stay up that way and I'm heading up for the weekend. Hoping to catch both games but Peterhead is quite an awkward place to get to.

Also, any idea of what our team might look like on Friday and Saturday? The report for the Dundee Utd game says we only had two subs.

Anyone going to the two games up north? My folks stay up that way and I'm heading up for the weekend. Hoping to catch both games but Peterhead is quite an awkward place to get to.

Also, any idea of what our team might look like on Friday and Saturday? The report for the Dundee Utd game says we only had two subs.

We've had the same team for both games so far and barring any more transfers between now and Saturday I'd imagine we'd line up like this:

Bowman

Duffie

Wallace/Bennett

Scobbie

Kingsley

French Trialist

Millar

Murdoch

Trialist (Winters)

Higginbotham

Good French trialist

The only other options we have are Compton, Alston and possibly McManus although he was nowhere to be seen against Dundee Utd.

Does anyone know what's up with Dods and why he's not featured so far?

Having heard eye gouging rumours (probably bollocks) of Mark Twaddle and Scobbie's wage, I'm wondering how much Flynn is on.

More than either I would expect. It's really no wonder we are financially fucked. Absolute idiots in charge. Eddie May paying money for Twaddle looks even more comedy in hindsight than it did at the time.

I'd like to see Scobbie go too. Really start from scratch with no one on SPL wages.

Yeah, there was some real mind-boggling SPL contracts for distinctly average players.

We've had the same team for both games so far and barring any more transfers between now and Saturday I'd imagine we'd line up like this:

Bowman

Duffie

Wallace/Bennett

Scobbie

Kingsley

French Trialist

Millar

Murdoch

Trialist (Winters)

Higginbotham

Good French trialist

The only other options we have are Compton, Alston and possibly McManus although he was nowhere to be seen against Dundee Utd.

Does anyone know what's up with Dods and why he's not featured so far?

You've got to feel for Murray Wallace. With the arrival of Bennett and with Dods and Scobbie, that makes him fourth choice centre half. He looks too good to be a fourth choice.

That would be the same donkey who has just had his contract extended

Very possibly.

I'm surprised you can hold a pen with hoofs. An absolutely woeful player, as we saw.

Yeah, there was some real mind-boggling SPL contracts for distinctly average players.

You have to wonder who negotiated Twaddle's contract. He was being signed from Partick in the First Division, where he can't have been on more than say £700 a week? Possibly not even as much as that.

And I know there was some competition for his signature (alarmingly) but even so, what absolute clown decided to give him a 3 year contract on closer to 2K a week than 1K?

I'd always imagined Twaddle was on about £800-£1k tops, no real basis for that, I just didn't think anyone was stupid enough to pay him more. My eyes almost popped out my heid when I seen someone say he was actually on around £2k.

You would have thought after the debacle of Hughes' last season that we'd stop handing out fucking stupid money for average players. Utter madness.

You've got to feel for Murray Wallace. With the arrival of Bennett and with Dods and Scobbie, that makes him fourth choice centre half. He looks too good to be a fourth choice.

Surely given our squad, Scobbie will be at left back. That's if he's even with us at all? You're forgetting we signed Darren Dods. If Murray Wallace is any good he'll get plenty of games.

Whats Michael Andrews like?

No idea. Don't think he's ever made a first team appearence for us. The only time I've seen him was in a friendly against Sunderland where he made a fantastic point blank save from Kenwyne Jones. Other than that...unless there's folk here who watched the U19s on a regular basis, then I don't think you'll get much info for him.

Maybe better asking The 'Shire supporters, as he was on loan there a couple of times.

Bowman

Duffie

Wallace/Bennett

Scobbie

Kingsley

French Trialist

Millar

Murdoch

Trialist (Winters)

Higginbotham

Good French trialist

Interested to see him as there were some positive comments about his performance against Alloa. A decent striker can make all the difference in this league.