The Falkirk FC Thread

What I said was, on current form, he is not good enough for the SPL, and probably not good enough for us. However, I didn't state he wouldn't get back to how he has played in the past. He's clearly got talent, he just hasn't applied it at all really this season bar 1 or 2 games.

Jay is undoubtedly a talented player, and in a midfield four where the other three guys were aggressive ball winning types, Jay would an absolute superstar. However, these past two seasons, the guy has been expected to compromise the stuff that he does well (the creative stuff), I order to to contribute to the stuff he does badly (the defensive/physical stuff). That in turn has led to the lad being far less effective than he would be in a better balanced midfield. There is absolutely no doubt the guy is good enough........probably good enough for any club in Scotland, that's for sure. With the right blend of maturity and aggression to support him, he could be spectacularly good.

The fact we haven't even seen McCracken in the U20s yet (as 1 if the allowable over age players) I'd be surprised if he's in the squad on Saturday.

Unless he has played in bounce games.

According to his twitter, only started to train this week

Was hearing yesterday that Lyle Taylor hasn't scored in over 30 appearances in league 1. Obviously early days for him at Sheffield, but I think it's fairly safe to say he's not good enough for that level. I think we've done very well to get as much as we did.

Edited by Just a bairn

Was hearing yesterday that Lyle Taylor hasn't scored in over 30 appearances in league 1. Obviously early days for him at Sheffield, but I think it's fairly safe to say he's not good enough for that level. I think we've done very well to get as much as we did.

I had a look on a Sheff Utd forum today and he hasnt set anything on fire yet.....well the fans think they have set fire to 200k + on signing him. A whole topic called Taylor and 4-2-3-1, claiming he cant play as the lone striker....

Very surprising, as he played it majority of the season well last season, I really thot he would do well. There is still time for him to turn it around, but when I did see him play on Tv, I thot he was trying to hard.

On other former bairn in Weir, looks like we have dodged a bullet, if he was interested in our manager role. Another manager who favours the 4-2-3-1 formation wouldve killed me, we dont have money in the squad that Elvis had this season, but at least we are playing two up and going for it most weeks...

Jose Mourinho favours the 4-2-3-1 formation. We played with 2/3 strikers yesterday and still lost. This perception that 1 up front is negative sums up people's football know how

Jose Mourinho is a negative manager tho.....

A few of our goals we have scored this season wouldnt have been scored in the 1 up front set up, yes 1 up front can be attacking if you have the right players, most cases you dont and hand a thankless task to the 1 up front.

Scotland have just told a 6 million pound player that it aint gonna happen for him and he has scored around 100 goals in 3 or so seasons, Fletcher apart, I think he is the biggest transfer in the Scotland squad from Friday night

The big problem with managers that do favour the one up front, usually focus solely on this formation and wont budge from it. I wouldnt mind seeing us playing 3 at the back at times, game depending...tho Ive always said that it tends to become 5 at the back.

Thinking on it, 3-5-2 would probably favour us at the moment with the players available, still feel our usual diamond is to wide spread between Ollie and Fulton and having two right footers in the centre of defence when Flynn is playing there

I would take a negative Jose Mourinho over any manager in the world if it brings winning football like he has over the years

The game has evolved over the last 10 years and there's certain formations and positions which have faded from the game. I prefer to see fast wingers who take on full backs and put crosses in the box but it just doesn't happen nowadays. A lot of it is to with the coaching

Jose Mourinho favours the 4-2-3-1 formation. We played with 2/3 strikers yesterday and still lost. This perception that 1 up front is negative sums up people's football know how

Exactly, the rubbish that gets talked about formations from fans just fills Internet space that's all. Saturday was awful, long ball to a rabbit up front. We are getting found out, and very quickly. Ollie should have played. FFS he won't have played for two weeks when he trots out next week. Our midfield was posted missing yet again.

Apart from 20mins v Morton and 45mins v Livingston we have been little more than average this season.

The "maverick" type player has almost gone from our game due to latest coaching practices. These players get looked upon as lazy by their managers.

Obviously more emphasis is being put onto the team playing as a unit as opposed to one or two individual's strengths.

Look at Mata this year, after doing what he did last year, he hasn't had a sniff at Mourinho's team due to his philosophy of playing as a complete unit.

At my own club, we didn't have the players to play the 4.2.3.1 or 4.1.4.1 formation but Elvis insisted on it.

This season we do have the players to do it, but Holt seems to want to play the diamond formation with no flexability. That leaves us open down the flanks if a team flood their midfield.

From what i've seen of the players so far, Bingham, Alston and Fulton sitting behind either Loy or Roberts would be the ideal option.

Ollie and (i would have sais Faulds based on last seasons performances but he seems to be out of things) or Sibbald who has played that role well before. None moreso than the Ramsdens final.

Nice use of the English language there Boaby.

Sibbald played a couple of games there 2 seasons ago as well as last season.

I was giving a suggestion as per the discussion.

No, just no. Offers no protection whatsoever.

A large part of our problem is the only box-to-bx midfielder we have of any quality is McGrandles, who is still very inexperienced. Olly is clearly defensive mid, and everyone else - Fulton, Sibbald, Alston, Roberts, Bingham, Loy - are pretty much attacking midfielders. We've loads of people to play "in the hole" but naebody to be around them! No CM, no wingers.

Every game I've seen this season has seen us be very narrow, with absolutely no cover for the full backs meaning that we've had to deal with loads of crosses.

I think Holt's formation at the weekend was an attempt to address this, but it ended up with the same problem as Bingham and especially Roberts were never going to track back.

I can't help thinking an answer is to play a back 5 with Turnbull/Kingsley and Duffie in more advanced positions. It would give us a bit of width. Something like:

------------------------McGovern--------------------

-----------Flynn------Vaulks------Kingsley--------

--Duffie--------------Olly---------------Turnbull--

----------McGrandles-------Alston----------------

--------------Roberts---------Loy-------------------