The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Football is a game of wheeling and dealing. Owing to a few factors such as McGlynns contacts, reputation, style of play, the season we've just had and the fact we are #massive, I am certain the way it works is that McGlynns phone will be going nuts with loan offers come August. 

I'd be amazed if, in mid June, he was happy to close doors and say "il be saying no to loans that come my way."

There's absolutely zero point in speculating on here whether this is the squad we go forward with because we've seen many, many times over the years, football in summer is an agile business. 

At present i totally trust JM and i am sure he knows better than anyone on here what we do and dont need and will use any cash wisely

3 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

The higher up the Championship we finish, the prize money would help towards some of the cash required for a new grass pitch. A roundabout way of paying it off fully is get promoted to the Prem then relegated again (!) using the parachute payment to clear it. Any Cup runs, increased  FSS subscriptions, increased ST sales, and improved commercial and hospitality numbers (hopefully) makes us well placed to ride out the unexpected cost of a new grass pitch. A wee bit of luck would also be nice. I’m no expert on business bank loans, but surely the Club could arrange a bank loan for the installation of a new grass pitch, so say we needed £1.5m in total, if the Club could stump up £750k (half) then we would only need to borrow £750k for the remainder. Like a ‘mortgage’, the higher the deposit the more likely the loan would be granted?

Another loan to help fund the club?  Imo investment is what is needed.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

Obviously squad size has been spoken about before with numbers being quoted but simply put, if we are doing better commercially than expected then the BOD will give McGlynn the funds to bolster the squad

As the lady said size does not matter its what you do with it!

On 15/06/2024 at 20:06, Bainsfordbairn said:

He lost 9 to MacIver, so 7+2 = 9 or at least that's my guess. Michael Gillen from the Falkirk Herald was there today so more pics will appear over the coming days. 

I don't think squad numbers mean much but if anyone's interested I'll put them up. Everyone will see them once the games start anyway. 

I’m a nerd for things like squad numbers. 😂 would you be able to put them up?

12 hours ago, WHW said:

I’m a nerd for things like squad numbers. 😂 would you be able to put them up?

• Adams, Keelan
  • Agyeman, Alfredo
  • Allan, Jordan
  • Donaldson, Coll
  • Hayward, Owen
  • Henderson, Liam
  • Hogarth, Nicky
  • Honeyman, Scott
  • Lang, Tom
  • MacIver, Ross
  • Mackie, Sean
  • McCafferty, Flynn
  • McCann, Leon
  • McCrone, Caelan
  • McKenna, Michael
  • Miller, Calvin
  • Morrison, Callumn
  • Nesbitt, Aidan
  • Oliver, Gary
  • Ross, Ethan
  • Sinclair, Logan
  • Shanley, Ryan
  • Sneddon, Jamie
  • Spencer,Brad
  • Tait, Dylan
  • Walker, Rhys
  • Yeats, Finn
Edited by Bainsfordbairn
error.

Swinney said we'd have the 3rd or 4th biggest budget in the league. And that was before selling 500 season tickets more than our target by June. I reckon that will be 2 clubs from Livingston, Dunfermline, Raith and Partick. 

Ayr are investing a bit of cash and will no doubt be a much better side than the terrible one we played in the cup over the last couple of seasons but can't see them as being one of the leagues big spenders or title challengers. They have managed to trebuchet that big dumpling McGinty over to Hamilton though so who knows 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

The squad numbers are a bit all over the place so it would be daft to look too much into them.....

So as a dafty, I wonder if there's anything in Scott Honeyman being no.20 while the other outfield apprentices are all in the 30's. 

Edit: just looked at the squad numbers again and Honeyman is 30. I am a dafty right enough. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by One off poster

16 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Ayr have signed 6 players including Scott McMann today who had a very good season for Dundee United last season.

They appear to have one of the bigger budgets in the league.

He was god awful that night at TFS mind you when we could've put 7 or 8 past them.

There might still be some budget available, but I wouldn't be expecting anything to change in the squad (other than maybe JA going out) until the last week of August and beyond now.

A lot can happen in the early part of the season though. One of the young guys could really prove themselves and knock a suspected first team player down the pecking order who then wants away for game time, a player McGlynn didn't expect to be available suddenly is, a bid comes in, or (fingers crossed it doesn't happen) serious injury/poor start means that reinforcements are required.

Think it is a wise tactic to have almost everything done now, but keep a little bit of something back just in case.

4 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

There might still be some budget available, but I wouldn't be expecting anything to change in the squad (other than maybe JA going out) until the last week of August and beyond now.

A lot can happen in the early part of the season though. One of the young guys could really prove themselves and knock a suspected first team player down the pecking order who then wants away for game time, a player McGlynn didn't expect to be available suddenly is, a bid comes in, or (fingers crossed it doesn't happen) serious injury/poor start means that reinforcements are required.

Think it is a wise tactic to have almost everything done now, but keep a little bit of something back just in case.

Aye Bisland signed on the 31st of august and Ross the 14th of September. So loads of time yet.

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Aye Bisland signed on the 31st of august and Ross the 14th of September. So loads of time yet.

so cos we won 3-0 in the opening game last season we're going to do it again this season? i hope you're right but the reality is its all guesswork 

I think it's wise to see how this team copes in the championship before spending much of the additional ST money. That'll only bring a bit of parity to us and the budgets of the other teams in the division.

I think we should look at a top half finish as a real success this year and if that's not looking likely we should save some budget for January.

Edited by ilostmyself

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Can’t read too much into squad numbers but it doesn’t look like Allan’s part of the plans going by his number.

Hopefully there’s interest in him and that will free up some funds for an additional striker (possibly on loan).

3 hours ago, One off poster said:

The squad numbers are a bit all over the place so it would be daft to look too much into them.....

I can't work out why Allan has number 72 when 15, 16 and 17 are all available. Even the apprentices have lower numbers! 

It's either a Rangers thing or he is that far out the picture he is only training because he's still under contract 

41 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I can't work out why Allan has number 72 when 15, 16 and 17 are all available. Even the apprentices have lower numbers! 

It's either a Rangers thing or he is that far out the picture he is only training because he's still under contract 

Think it's been mentioned before (speculatively, but also probably correctly in my opinion) that 7 + 2 = 9 and it's 72 as opposed to say 81 or 63 because it used to be a rangers thing and he's as in denial as much as their other supporters. 

Edited by One off poster
Correction

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

A lot of the loans from the top league generally happen August onwards.

We will have had around a dozen games in by the middle of August to see if our squad needs a loan in to cover a specific position, Bisland and Ross were exactly that.

Can we still get loans in September in the championship?

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

A lot of the loans from the top league generally happen August onwards.

We will have had around a dozen games in by the middle of August to see if our squad needs a loan in to cover a specific position, Bisland and Ross were exactly that.

Can we still get loans in September in the championship?

Yeah, it's everyone outwith the premiership. Just how they like it.