The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Stainrod said:

The lack of progress of any players from the development squad is a concern . Although in principle I support the concept of developing our own young players I’m not sure of the financial value especially given that every penny is important in a very competitive championship. 
Guys I know who watch the shire and junior football locally say that none of our current youth loanees will cut it in the championship! Worrying !

Wow, after the near destruction job on our club by Campbell & Lang - closing an academy the envy of most of Scotland and diverting all money to useless below average journeymen with no sell on value some people have learned nothing.

Also expecting immediate results whilst trying to sniff out "every penny" when someone else is paying for it is a bit rich. 

Give it a chance man, it's a long road back.

2 hours ago, AJ1981 said:

sarcasm, understatement maybe irony?  IMHO name calling is usually the behaviour of insecure people trying to appear confident.

I am entirely secure in my ability to deliver withering sarcasm or stylish understatement depending on the occasion.

I am, of course, a supremely confident individual with a self deprecating sense of humour and a finely tuned sense of irony and whilst name calling is not usually my favoured response I am comfortable on this occasion in calling you a pompous p***k.

6 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I am entirely secure in my ability to deliver withering sarcasm or stylish understatement depending on the occasion.

I am, of course, a supremely confident individual with a self deprecating sense of humour and a finely tuned sense of irony and whilst name calling is not usually my favoured response I am comfortable on this occasion in calling you a pompous p***k.

^^totally unsure of himself^^

12 hours ago, SuperTuesday said:

Oh come on, that page would make Mother Theresa post telling them to stop being fkn t1ts.

Mother Theresa was a terrible human being so she would probably like it.   She deliberately prevented many of the seriously ill people in her institutions getting medication because she believed the more they felt the agony of their suffering the closer they were to her god.  Truly horrific.  Sorry to go on a rant, I have a thing about religious hypocrites. (not talking about the poster who was only trying to be funny, talking about the woman).

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

It’s clear to me over the last few days especially that to be successful or progress further we’re going to need investment. Just having the fans investment won’t be enough- especially when you see the likes of Hamilton giving out 3 year deals to Oli Shaw. The size of our club should make us investable with the potential we have.

Edited by Tea and Busquets

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Mother Theresa was a terrible human being so she would probably like it.   She deliberately prevented many of the seriously ill people in her institutions getting medication because she believed the more they felt the agony of their suffering the closer they were to her god.  Truly horrific.  Sorry to go on a rant, I have a thing about religious hypocrites. (not talking about the poster who was only trying to be funny, talking about the woman).

Aye, but she meant well.

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

It’s clear to me over the last few days especially that to be successful or progress further we’re going to need investment. Just having the fans investment won’t be enough- especially when you see the likes of Hamilton giving out 3 year deals to Oli Shaw. The size of our club should make us investable with the potential we have.

No as good as his faither!

17 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I think the money comes from fundraising by things like golf days, sportsmens dinners and sponsorship. It's notable that the academy has a different sponsor from the first team. 

I believe the sponsor only does youth football, used to be involved at the club and then pulled out in protest when the academy closed. So the money isn't coming out of the first team budget. 

I don't care about the opinion of guys who watch the Shire and junior football. TBH I'm not bothered about the opinion of many Falkirk fans  either, particularly when I read some of the stuff that goes up on COYB. I trust Tony Begg and John McGlynn though. If they think these guys are worth handing out apprenticeships to that's good enough for me. 

Aye but the actual modern apprenticeship scheme is govt part funded I think is it not? They also do a qualification alongside being footballers.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Hard to disagree with that, I also think investment will be needed to take us further and especially if we need to also replace the pitch.  

We're probably at (or close) to our peak in terms of ST sales and commercial income with the feelgood factor of last year.  A mid table finish this year could see both fall for 25/26 (same way Dunfermline are seeing this year).  

At the moment FSS money etc is keeping us in the hunt but would be amazing if we had investment to cover costs and that money was over and above rather than plugging a gap each year.  

Saw it said elsewhere and still agree with the point it made - Football has a cost control problem not a revenue one.

That we can excel in revenue generation off the park and yet still feel like we're poor relations to other, less supported clubs confirms that football will eventually annihilate itself.

Are we maybe just learning from our lessons of the past and not over spending ?

27 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Aye but the actual modern apprenticeship scheme is govt part funded I think is it not? They also do a qualification alongside being footballers.

I've no idea. The first academy game is next midweek so if Tony's there I'll ask him then. 

GQ8V301WgAALIXq.jpg

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

Definitely could do with the third leg of the stool being more active to help bridge the gap between other teams in the league but Hamilton signing Oli Shaw on a 3 year deal isn't exactly something we wouldn't be able to achieve in our current position.

Would have been on a good wage at Barnsley but he's just went two consecutive seasons not managing to a single goal in a league game so his stock won't have been high.

Edited by FFC 1876

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If it’s the same scheme as other trades and work places then yes. A grant is available towards equipment/tools or uniform/ppe needed for the apprentice, the cost of the day release or online college course is covered and there is money towards the first six months of the apprentices wage. Taking into account wages for apprentices are notoriously low combined with government funding the cost ends up pretty minimal to the employer in the first year. 

2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

We’ve had a brilliant season and to go unbeaten was just special. But as said we need to get further investment to go forward. Throw in the plastic new pitch rules, we either go with the original plans for promotion (with an added £1M to find) or plan B which I don’t think we have at present.