The Falkirk FC Thread

Be interesting to see how young Adams gets on tomorrow although he'll be covering in the wrong position.

We don't have a lot of injuries but missing 3 of our first choice back 4 obviously isn't great so I think that will make things more difficult in the league cup but hopefully the guys are all fit for the start of the season. 

7 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Be interesting to see how young Adams gets on tomorrow although he'll be covering in the wrong position.

We don't have a lot of injuries but missing 3 of our first choice back 4 obviously isn't great so I think that will make things more difficult in the league cup but hopefully the guys are all fit for the start of the season. 

Whilst only going on seeing him last Saturday for first time “Young Adams” reminds me of another 20 something who came in left field in a close season after university & lower league football. That guy went on to have a stellar career, & just so happened to be a, local boy from Shieldhill too.  

10 hours ago, bairn88 said:

In agent terms we’re still very much in the middle of pre season, I would be absolutely stunned if we don’t make 2 possibly 3 loan signings before the close of summer window. 

Clubs and managers have relationships with mutual goodwill and cooperation. If McGlynn decides he needs a Center Back he will have had the feelers out already. He has a good reputation and as shown with Tait the loan player is looked after and improved. So for the first time in many a season we are shopping a bit up market.

McGlynn's use of the loan market over the last two seasons has been excellent. Tait, Ross, Long, Bisland, Alegria, Rowe, Hogarth, Kinear, Kennedy, Kucheriavyi (to replace Meekison) and Wright. 

A few who havent quite hit the mark but I'd be confident he can bring in a defender of similar quality to Lang/ Donaldson and a similar striker to MacIver. If he can manage that and our defensive injuries clear up I reckon we'll be in a very good place 

12 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Murray was in the press today saying he feels we're about 3 bodies short. Hannah and Nicholson will be fringe players. 

Ok so 23 players then 

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

Ok so 23 players then 

22 if we're being pernickety as Montagu's also essentially a modern apprentice.

We're still short on the quality front imo. A couple of loans would sort that but it'll probably depend on how we do in the league cup.

42 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Just went in to buy a couple of tickets for todays game and surprised (even allowing for holidays) how many seats are available. 

Many contributing factors, main holidays, many still feeling the effect of monies spent on the last three weeks supporting our home nation, a lot spent on merchandise, middle of the month and many counting down till month end. Many don’t rate this cup now. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

22 if we're being pernickety as Montagu's also essentially a modern apprentice.

We're still short on the quality front imo. A couple of loans would sort that but it'll probably depend on how we do in the league cup.

What part of the team? The only place I see is CF, only if MacIver is injured though 

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

McGlynn's use of the loan market over the last two seasons has been excellent. Tait, Ross, Long, Bisland, Alegria, Rowe, Hogarth, Kinear, Kennedy, Kucheriavyi (to replace Meekison) and Wright. 

A few who havent quite hit the mark but I'd be confident he can bring in a defender of similar quality to Lang/ Donaldson and a similar striker to MacIver. If he can manage that and our defensive injuries clear up I reckon we'll be in a very good place 

Why would we need another CH if let’s say even one is injured? We have 3 CH’s and two fullbacks who can play there. I see Hendo as a CH now who can play CM if Tait or Spencer are not available. Bringing in a CH is a waste of money, unless Donaldson AND Laing are out for three months at the same time. 
CF is the only pressing area for me. 
could cover at GK, FB, CH, CM and in wide areas. 

20 minutes ago, BPM said:

What part of the team? The only place I see is CF, only if MacIver is injured though 

Agreed. A few folk have said that we're short on quality, but I just don't see it. As you say, a back up to MacIver who's a similar type would be good. I think Shanley's a good enough player, but doesn't exactly fit our style of play. I think we've got quality on the bench as well as in the first eleven.

3 minutes ago, BPM said:

Why would we need another CH if let’s say even one is injured? We have 3 CH’s and two fullbacks who can play there. I see Hendo as a CH now who can play CM if Tait or Spencer are not available. Bringing in a CH is a waste of money, unless Donaldson AND Laing are out for three months at the same time. 
CF is the only pressing area for me. 
could cover at GK, FB, CH, CM and in wide areas. 

Agreed again.

IF Donaldson and Lang are going to be missing for a while, then we probably need to bring in a loan CH. If there's a chance that they'll be available in the early weeks of the league season though then we'd have 6 players that could play CH, if we bring another one in, which would indeed be a waste of cash.

McGlynn should have an idea of time scales though, hopefully.

5 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

Whilst only going on seeing him last Saturday for first time “Young Adams” reminds me of another 20 something who came in left field in a close season after university & lower league football. That guy went on to have a stellar career, & just so happened to be a, local boy from Shieldhill too.  

David Weir ?

Just now, Bigbrbairn said:

An attacking right back at CH

Good luck young man. Bet he did not imagine that when he signed

Disagree with the idea on the thread that we are nicely covered at CB. Donaldson and Lang are obviously the first choices, but after that you’ve got two utility men in Mackie and Henderson who might well be needed in other areas of the park (As Mackie is today, and as Hendo would be if Spencer/Tait weren’t available).

Still think there’s room for one more, perhaps a versatile player who can cover one of the full back positions or midfield.

Also personally with the constraint that the current back four are the players available, I wouldn’t play Adams at CB. Think I’d rather prioritise having the two more natural CBs play there and let the inexperienced player start in his more natural position. That would mean playing Finn Yeats at left back, but given he likes to invert into midfield anyway I think that would be a valid option. 

Think today will be a tough test for us. Clearly Lang, Donaldson and McCann are big misses but today’s line up might not be far off the one that starts the league.

Good to have our first choice midfield and front 4 all available.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Think today will be a tough test for us. Clearly Lang, Donaldson and Mackie are big misses but today’s like up might not be far off the one that starts the league.

Good to have our first choice midfield and front 4 all available.

Mackie’s starting