The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Just listened to The Terrace podcast lower-league preview and the Falkirk section was a roller-coaster! 🎢

Began nodding along in agreement and ended up settling on the pair of them are talking sh*te 😆

Overall, I think their final prediction is about right but the preamble to get to that conclusion was a mix of pre-conceived BS and 3rd-hand knowledge. I couldn't do the full 7+ hours 😩

This is spot on. They got Yeats and McCann mixed up. The attempt to say McGlynn had fallen out with his medical team because he allegedly did that at Raith is just bizzare.

9 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Goodness knows the money wasted on yearly signings and clear outs of players and managers post 2015 final.

The pressure on clubs to spend is immense, especially the way prize money is distributed. It encourages teams to live beyond their means chasing the cash. And fans buy into it - look at folk even on here saying “give him more” with the argument that it’ll result in greater returns.

I don’t blame folk, but then when it goes wrong, a club spirals. It happened to us. Several managers, revolving door in the boardroom, over 100 players.  The high human turnover was a major part of the problem but every year, it was hard to resist burning cash trying to fix it. I’m watching Dunfermline with interest. Their owners seem to have said genug ist genug given the cash bleed they’ve experienced. If they stabilise and live within their means without spiralling, then that’s a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

This is spot on. They got Yeats and McCann mixed up. The attempt to say McGlynn had fallen out with his medical team because he allegedly did that at Raith is just bizzare.

Think the segment was decent. That said I don't share the dislike of some for the Terrace boys. 

Let's remember they are football fans talking football not some authority on the game and the extent of coverage they give the lower leagues will never be a bad thing. 

And also, let's remember as they said, on this very thread there are wildly contrasting opinions, eg on Maciver. 

7 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Feel like allowing some form of standing should be explored.

The experience of Edinburgh City and what they've been allowed to get away with could allow some extra capacity without too much permanent infrastructure being required.

If we can stand at the edge of the pitch at Kelty, Montrose, Edinburgh City etc then I don't see why this would not be allowed. Would love us to open the east side up to even just a couple hundred standing people. Get in some food vans/portaloos and it would be a not bad fan experience. Its probably not been necessary and I imagine costs would outweigh the income if we weren't already selling out the stadium. But if we were to get to the premiership could be something to consider before building a 4th stand.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

If we can stand at the edge of the pitch at Kelty, Montrose, Edinburgh City etc then I don't see why this would not be allowed. Would love us to open the east side up to even just a couple hundred standing people. Get in some food vans/portaloos and it would be a not bad fan experience. Its probably not been necessary and I imagine costs would outweigh the income if we weren't already selling out the stadium. But if we were to get to the premiership could be something to consider before building a 4th stand.

Not seen the Ayr hybrid/terracing-stand but it looks good. As for terracing what does that entail? Rubble, hardcore, concrete, slabbing, roof, crush barriers, certification add the facilities you mentioned. That would add 1,000 - 1,500 capacity

Didn’t have much to disagree with the Terrace boys segment tbh, even if they got a couple of players mixed up. The chat on MacIver was good and they’d obviously looked into it. They touched on the strength of our attacking options and our ability to really hurt quality teams. The observation that a large number of our squad is comprised of people with previous Championship experience, but who failed to set it alight during past spells, is pretty accurate, if we’re being fair. However, they also recognised that our team as a unit is more than the sum of its parts; a lot of these players will have improved since they last played in this division, and there is also the galvanising effect of last season.

Finally, McGlynn’s ability to build a squad with solid recruitment while playing exciting, attacking football that is often successful and good to watch is something we’ve witnessed. Similarly, his primary shortcoming, which is struggling to change games where it’s not working, is something we all already know too. A decent season, pushing for play-offs but ultimately finishing about 5th is one I feel most of us would be satisfied with. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

28 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

finishing about 5th is one I feel most of us would be satisfied with. 

So would the majority of fans. Going to stick my head on the blocks, would be greatly disappointed if we didn’t make play offs. 

Just now, Springfield said:

So would the majority of fans. Going to stick my head on the blocks, would be greatly disappointed if we didn’t make play offs. 

I agree but I think they key difference in expectation is disappointed rather than angered. 

50 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

When I or any fan on this forum wins the euro millions I’m sure a fourth stand will be top of the agenda. 

A fourth stand with safe standing yes. With that amount of money in the bank, I’d stick the lot in a super high interest savings account and transfer the monthly interest in to the Club’s operational and player budget. Effectively free money keeping the Club going. Oh to be a billionaire!

44 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Didn’t have much to disagree with the Terrace boys segment tbh, ...

Aye that's where I found myself and certainly in regards to my current view on McKenna but the sway towards all the ex-Rovers boys being muck and the subtext that Ian Murray is a tactical genius in comparison to someone like McGlynn had me miffed.

I can concede that I and McGuigan probably have our blinkers on!

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Think the segment was decent. That said I don't share the dislike of some for the Terrace boys. 

Let's remember they are football fans talking football not some authority on the game and the extent of coverage they give the lower leagues will never be a bad thing. 

And also, let's remember as they said, on this very thread there are wildly contrasting opinions, eg on Maciver. 

Have to say, fair play to the pair of them, I listened to the full championship section over the last couple days and to go into that amount of depth for every team is fantastic. Getting a couple players mixed up isn't the end of the world for me, and I only ever notice it if it's our team. 

You'll not get that level of detail or type of analysis on the Scottish Lower leagues anywhere else. 

I quite like the terrace, I also quite like open goal (shoot me). You don't have to agree with everything they say all the time. Like Bairnardo says, they're just fans at the end of the day.

4 hours ago, StuartA said:

I’m watching Dunfermline with interest. Their owners seem to have said genug ist genug given the cash bleed they’ve experienced. If they stabilise and live within their means without spiralling, and get relegated then that’s a good thing. 

FTFY

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I’ll go further and say I want us to be aiming to finish top this season.

We have all pointed out how open it is this season, so that opens the door to us getting up if we perform to the levels we appear to exhibit on occasion. We may not be so lucky if we stay down as it’s unpredictable re who will come down from the Premiership and it may be another big name meaning that opportunity is lost.

We also now have the noose round our neck that is a grass pitch. If we go up we have 12 months of Premiership level cash to put grass down. If we don’t go up we don’t have that cash and have a predicament re what to do about needing a grass surface with its additional costs to go up but potentially bankrupting ourselves to have something that may take many years to be of value if we get stuck in the Championship or below for years to come…….

6 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

We have all pointed out how open it is this season, so that opens the door to us getting up if we perform to the levels we appear to exhibit on occasion. We may not be so lucky if we stay down as it’s unpredictable re who will come down from the Premiership and it may be another big name meaning that opportunity is lost.

We also now have the noose round our neck that is a grass pitch. If we go up we have 12 months of Premiership level cash to put grass down. If we don’t go up we don’t have that cash and have a predicament re what to do about needing a grass surface with its additional costs to go up but potentially bankrupting ourselves to have something that may take many years to be of value if we get stuck in the Championship or below for years to come…….

I think when you look at the losses the last few winners of this league have racked up I think to say we should be aiming to win the league on break even is a very very tough ask. 
Money, I know, is not everything as many a club has spunked cash and failed (look at us in L1). However I think it is a huge ask to do it without further investment in the squad before the end of August. Love to be surprised however. 

6 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I feel the same way though it's probably hard to say until we've seen more of the teams at this level in the first set of games. We've been away so long I don't know who half the players are. 

The advantage of L1 was that there were easy games. Quite a lot of them. 70% performance was getting us wins by a couple of goals. That likely won't cut it this season. 

When you see how promoted teams have done recently though anything other than top half would be hugely disappointing. 

Winning the league is entirely possible.

I am hanging a lot of optimism on the fact we have, at the moment, one of the unquantifiable factors that make teams successful - Momentum.

Hoping that can be sustained over the league campaign as much as possible and see where we shake out.

13 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

FTFY

Nah, happy with the original version tbh 🙂

It’s in FFC’s interest for more clubs to live within their means as otherwise the market is distorted and we’re less likely to be priced out of players we should be able afford if there was less financial doping/irresponsibility.

And specifically on DA, as much as I like beating them, which we’ve not managed for a while, I enjoy the rivalry. I’d rather play them than most others, not least because of crowds.

Edited by StuartA

4 hours ago, Blame Me said:

I am hanging a lot of optimism on the fact we have, at the moment, one of the unquantifiable factors that make teams successful - Momentum.

Hoping that can be sustained over the league campaign as much as possible and see where we shake out.

False dawns have been all to common for Falkirk over the years. Sound stewardship and a manager that knows what they are doing has been so welcome hence the optimism and we have good reason to be optimistic.

There will be pitfalls this season and that is where the support have to support. If a player is having a stinker they know it so if we back them to play their way out it rather than get on their back then the better it is for everyone involved.

50 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

False dawns have been all to common for Falkirk over the years. Sound stewardship and a manager that knows what they are doing has been so welcome hence the optimism and we have good reason to be optimistic.

There will be pitfalls this season and that is where the support have to support. If a player is having a stinker they know it so if we back them to play their way out it rather than get on their back then the better it is for everyone involved.

Nice sentiment…..never going to happen!