The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

McGlynn played an attacking midfielder up front instead of Shanley at the weekend which isn’t exactly the biggest vote of confidence, and Oliver can fill in there but we all know he’s not a lone striker. I understand and appreciate you’ll raise the issue of quality, but there’s been loads of us banging on about the need for another striker since the season began. This isn’t breaking news. It’s just come to a head because Ross is now injured. 

I said at the time we needed back up. I am certainly not changing my mind on that. But no point in bringing someone in who is no better than Oliver or Shanley. We all know McGlynn gets more right than wrong so if his judgement that there is no one that is better in our price bracket he has certainly earned my trust 

52 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

The right quality should’ve been brought in at the beginning of the season when we weren’t restricted to just Scotland. David Blunkett could’ve seen Shanley wasn’t a suitable backup.

If you are bringing players from down south you have a lot more extra cost with accommodation. I would give Shanley a run if he can’t get anyone. 

31 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yes Saturday highlighted the fact that even mcglynn doesn't really see shanley or oliver as the answer with McKenna starting instead despite looking like a fish out of water.  Could be a long 8 weeks if the next few hours prove fruitless unfortunately.

Maybe he was trying McKenna out. It didn’t work. Shanley looked ok when he came on TBF. 

IF we get to the end of the season and just miss out on the title, playoffs etc whatever it may be and we end up having a poor run of form coinciding with the injury to MacIver it will be a massive missed chance and annoyance which the management will need to take the blame for.We’ve needed a striker since day dot and here we are scrambling for one hours before the deadline. Shanley should never have been given another deal, was bang average in league 1 never mind the championship. His wages plus a little extra should have went onto a more suitable option for us. 

26 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

None of our current options are suitable. Oliver is fine but not in MacIvers position. Shanley done a lot better than McKenna but the 2 of them are not suitable replacements. 

There probably isn't any quality available so late in the day but we've known for weeks this was going to be an issue at some point. Could really hamper our season 

Well no we didn’t know for weeks it was going to be an issue as Maciver has played a full season last year and started this really well. Most of us thought it COULD be an issue if Maciver got injured and McGlynn rolled the dice and has been caught out. It is an issue because Maciver has got injured. That wasn’t guaranteed to happen. 

3 minutes ago, BPM said:

If you are bringing players from down south you have a lot more extra cost with accommodation. I would give Shanley a run if he can’t get anyone. 

I’d like someone else in but if it doesn’t happen I would give Shanley a run, I’m not for one minute saying he’s the answer but he looked better in the position on Saturday than McKenna. Who knows how he would be if he got a couple of goals.

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’d like someone else in but if it doesn’t happen I would give Shanley a run, I’m not for one minute saying he’s the answer but he looked better in the position on Saturday than McKenna. Who knows how he would be if he got a couple of goals.

Thats my take on Saturday too. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Get that everyone is looking for a CF. However don’t think theres anyone that thought going with who we had, was going to be enough. The loss of MacIver until what looks like the new year is massive. Appreciate that finances are tight, but if what’s being muted that we’ve lost out due to wages, would be so disappointing considering the momentum and form the squad has continued throughout the past fourteen months. 

6-8 weeks is not Christmas and who is muting that wages are an issue? Some random poster on P&B? I am with the club not to pay stupid money. Surely we have all learned from Griffiths? 

Edited by BPM

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree with this. Give him 2/3 starts now and see where it takes us. After all McGlynn resigned him I suspect for this very reason. 

11 minutes ago, BPM said:

Well no we didn’t know for weeks it was going to be an issue as Maciver has played a full season last year and started this really well. Most of us thought it COULD be an issue if Maciver got injured and McGlynn rolled the dice and has been caught out. It is an issue because Maciver has got injured. That wasn’t guaranteed to happen. 

That's not how you build a squad. Coll played every minute until his suspension at the end. Yet we needed, and went and got CH cover, even though we already had loads of flexibility there. 

We have loads of midfield and winger cover. Ross Maciver is the only unique player in our squad. The only one without whom the system can't work as it is intended. He runs himself into the ground every week, and is in a tougher league now where he can't come off with the game sewn up on 60 mins anything like as often. 

It was and is utter madness to be in this scenario. It would be madness even if he wasn't injured, it would just be dormant madness until the inevitable happened. And more injuries are 100% stonewall inevitable this season. A simple function of having to play harder, for longer, more often. 

Edited by Bairnardo

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's not how you build a squad. Coll played every minute until his suspension at the end. Yet we needed, and went and got CH cover, even though we already had loads of flexibility there. 

We have loads of midfield and winger cover. Ross Maciver is the only unique player in our squad. The only one without whom the system can't work as it is intended. He runs himself into the ground every week, and is in a tougher league now where he can't come off with the game sewn up on 60 mins anything like as often. 

It was and is utter madness to be in this scenario. It would be madness even if he wasn't injured, it would just be dormant madness until the inevitable happened. And more injuries are 100% stonewall inevitable this season. A simple function of having to play harder, for longer, more often. 

Spot on. Adequate cover in every position bar CF, which in the formation and style we play, is the most crucial.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think we can all agree that McGlynn has an eye for a player. 

In the 3 summers since he's been here McGlynn has signed Oliver, Alegria, Burrell, Wright, Allan, MacIver & Shanley to play the lone striker role. Arguably only Alegria and MacIver have excelled at it so far. And both signings were heavily criticised by many of our fans when they were made. 

Which suggest that finding someone to play the role within our price bracket is extremely difficult. Particularly as almost every other club is after the same thing and many of those can probably outspend us. An obvious example is Ayr getting Dowds & Oakley. 

I don't think it's madness to bide your time until the right player becomes available. 

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I think we can all agree that McGlynn has an eye for a player. 

In the 3 summers since he's been here McGlynn has signed Oliver, Alegria, Burrell, Wright, Allan, MacIver & Shanley to play the lone striker role. Arguably only Alegria and MacIver have excelled at it so far. And both signings were heavily criticised by many of our fans when they were made. 

Which suggest that finding someone to play the role within our price bracket is extremely difficult. Particularly as almost every other club is after the same thing and many of those can probably outspend us. An obvious example is Ayr getting Dowds & Oakley. 

I don't think it's madness to bide your time until the right player becomes available. 

I admire your mindset. We're beyond the point of cutting it fine though. 

However, I won't ask you if your last sentence is a hint, il choose to be optimistic and remove my trousers in preparation of the 👀

I dont know which miracle tree  McGlynn was going to pluck this like for like replacement for MacIver from but i know of a few clubs that are looking for that tree. It is a rare commodity in Scotland if you are not loaded with cash .

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He states specifically ‘nothing tonight’ so does that perhaps mean an out of contract player could still come in ?

Yeah could well be. Free agents can sign whenever so could be waiting a while for that to happen, but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what we were holding out on