The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Yeah, the Miller criticism is well harsh. He's effectively being played out of position. Miller's choices are to play on the right or sit on the bench because, as you say, Ross has been on fire this season and simply can't be dropped. Can Ross play on the right though, I wonder?

I actually think McGlynn is being really sensible here RE the striker position. Bringing someone in for the sake of it would placate the fans, but what's the point if they aren't good enough or don't fit into the system that you want to play? 

McGlynn is clearly playing a them on separate wings to allow space to get his full backs forward. It has not been in every game but most of the time they has been the case. I am sure the lad Adams (think that is his name) may have set up the odd goal so far overlapping an inverted winger. 

Edited by BPM

Anyone who thinks McGlynn is playing Miller on the right just for the sake of it is kidding themself, the reality is Morrison being injured and Alfie blowing hot and cold Miller is a better option on the right as he is consistent enough on the right than Alfie (although you could put that down to a lack of game time, confidence in Alfie). McCann plays better down the left with Miller but hasn't got that same level of understanding with Ross.

As for Shanley few takes on it yes he was the cheap option and he was there he may still offer something but Gary Oliver is still the better option, its only because of injuries that we have to make do with what we have and there was no sense in signing a player to take up a wage and sit on the bench on top of what we already have and if you look at Livvy and Morton both of them have had to delve in the free market to get them past their issues. The players are free for a few reasons either they were injured or deemed not good enough cant afford to wait around a few weeks on a player gaining match fitness only for MacIver to return albeit it adds competition for that spot though.

2 hours ago, choirbairn said:

He's not. Everyone can see that, apart from it seems the manager and those people who think the manager always knows best. With Morrison fit for 20 minutes, Alfie should have started on the right.

As above, Miller hung out to dry on the right, Alfie did okay when he first came on, then he was hung out to dry on the left when Morrison came on. Shanley obviously not good enough last season, so why anybody (the manager) thought he'd be good enough up a level is beyond me.

As above, hung out to dry by a very poor tactical choice.

Correct, and every point dropped is on McGlynn. Most of us said in the summer that we needed back-up for him. Either McGlynn somehow thought Shanley would be good enough (he clearly isn't) or that McKenna could fill in (he couldn't at Raith, although to be fair he wasn't the only one who had an off-day), or that Oliver, who stunk the place out at centre-forward in the first 40-odd of his 101 appearances could do it when he can't but is very good in midfield. He didn't need to get someone of MacIver's calibre - they are thin on the ground - but he did need to get a better option than any of those mentioned. I'm in the 'give Alfie a try' camp. He couldn't be any worse than Shanley, who I haven't commented on (even after his Awfulview horror show) before but he really annoyed me on Tuesday. He's spent a year watching MacIver and he should be thinking, what does he do that I don't that will make me better. MacIver's injury should have been the chance for him to say to himself I've got eight weeks to give this everything and show my critics that they're wrong and I do have what it takes. Instead, the first thing he did was get Hendo booked. He failed to track his man, Spencer couldn't bring the boy down on halfway because he had already been booked, so while Spencer berated Shanley for his piss-poor lack of effort, Hendo had to take one for the team and pull the guy back. The weakest link in our squad put two of our best players at risk of suspension. He should have been punted in August (I'd rather have kept Jordan Allan), even on loan , but should definitely be punted in January.

The freshening-up should have taken place from the start. Tait has been below his best for a few games, so Yeats could/should have played from the start. Miller on the right just doesn't do him or us any favours, so with Morrison able to play 20 minutes or whatever, Alfie should have started on the right with Miller or Ross on the right and then swapping after 65-70 minutes as per usual. That McGlynn said in his Thistle preview yesterday that he fears some players could be 'sluggish' today because they've had two hard games is just mental. He chose to give at least three of our players those two hard games when he could have given them a rest - and had a better-balanced team against Livi.

Speak for yourself. He seems to think Shanley can cut it at this level, for a start, and I was one of many who could see last season that he couldn't/can't. As well as Miller on the right, Alfie on the left, Oliver at centre-forward and all his other stupid choices over the past couple of years.

Only three of them were fit. I haven't seen a lot of Honeyman but I have liked what I've seen of him every time. I'd have kept him as an option, which would also have freed Alfie to have a go through the middle as cover for MacIver. I'm not sure it would have worked but I am sure it would have been a better option than some that we have seen tried.

You have every right to defer to the opinion of someone else but I'll back my judgement on football against literally anyone. I've been to over 1000 games, from the Juniors to the Champions League and World Cup, and you will have been at as least as many. I honestly don't get why you think we should all just trust the manager, unless you've learned nothing from all the games you've watched. It's like when players-turned-pundits refer to people 'in the game' or 'who have played the game' people to protect their own positions. It's utter nonsense. Football is a simple game - I've never been a chef but I don't need a chef to tell me if my toast is burnt. Serious questions - do you think he's correct to hang players out to dry by playing them in positions that are not natural to them, or that Shanley should be anywhere near our team or, going back, that Oliver was a better option at centre-forward than Burrell? Were you so happy to trust him after he was schooled over a season by James McPake and then humped in the play-off by Airdrie? By all means, give any manager credit where and when he deserves it but you also have to criticise and call them into question when it is merited.

As above, with an added 'he signed Ryan Shanley, and Gary Oliver as a lone centre-forward'.

You were right then and wrong now. 'Will probably do' just doesn't cut it. I also said in the summer that we were a striker short and, in the same post the day after we (unluckily) lost at Ayr, that I didn't fully trust McGlynn, while mentioning that someone else had questioned his subs in that game. The fact that he didn't get adequate cover for MacIver is criminal and every point dropped while he is out (five so far) is on McGlynn. Swinney said on Falkirk Daft before the last League Cup section game that if we got through, that the prize money alone would give us a budget for another player. We've since had a sold-out home match against Hearts and a hefty crowd at Parkhead so the money was there to sign someone and extend contracts, unless there is something in the stuff that was on here last week about the finances not being as healthy as we're being told (I didn't read it all because the politics and behind-the-scenes stuff has never interested me in the slightest). He's still getting his subs and, on Tuesday, his team selection wrong. 

Bit of a rant.

Did you burn your toast this morning?

26 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

the reality is Morrison being injured and Alfie blowing hot and cold Miller is a better option on the right as he is consistent enough on the right than Alfie (although you could put that down to a lack of game time, confidence in Alfie). 

Not sure I’d agree with that. Alfie did well coming on as a sub and for me then had 3 good games when he started against Stenny, Airdrie and Celtic. A good number were saying then that Morrison would struggle to get back in the team over him.

He wasn't great at Raith (as were a good number tbf) and was then dropped. With respect no winger is going to build confidence if one below par performance after a number of good ones results in being immediately dropped.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

8 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not sure I’d agree with that. Alfie did well coming on as a sub and for me then had 3 good games when he started against Stenny, Airdrie and Celtic. A good number were saying then that Morrison would struggle to get back in the team over him.

He wasn't great at Raith (as were a good number tbf) and was then dropped. With respect no winger is going to build confidence if one below par performance after a number of good ones results in being immediately dropped.

Not sure how you can say he did well on Tuesday.

He had one of his games where he was tripping over the ball or making the wrong choices.

I do think that he offers us something different as an impact sub but too inconsistent to be a regular starter.

58 minutes ago, BPM said:

McGlynn is clearly playing a them on separate wings to allow space to get his full backs forward. It has not been in every game but most of the time they has been the case. I am sure the lad Adams (think that is his name) may have set up the odd goal so far overlapping an inverted winger. 

Adams really should have another assist to his name, but I won't get into that again. Miller has been pretty good at drifting inside and allowing Adams the space to put balls into the box, in all fairness, even if Miller hasn't exactly been at his best of late.

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

He had one of his games where he was tripping over the ball or making the wrong choices.

I do think that he offers us something different as an impact sub but too inconsistent to be a regular starter.

That was pretty much my thoughts, a consistent Miller on the right as much as its not his preferred position is better than an inconsistent Alfie (a bit of a Forrest Gump life is like a box of chocolates moment) you never know what you're going to get.  In fairness to Alfie I do like him as a player and agree he offers something different, as pace alone is frightening trouble is he can be a world beater one moment and the next even manages to beat himself.

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

That was pretty much my thoughts, a consistent Miller on the right as much as its not his preferred position is better than an inconsistent Alfie (a bit of a Forrest Gump life is like a box of chocolates moment) you never know what you're going to get.  In fairness to Alfie I do like him as a player and agree he offers something different, as pace alone is frightening trouble is he can be a world beater one moment and the next even manages to beat himself.

Consistency is Alfie's biggest issue. It looked like he was turning the corner with the performances against Morton and Celtic in particular. Celtic supporters at my work were all asking me about him, such was the impact and impression that he made. Defo a player in there, just needs to stop overthinking it.

We've created a lot of chances so far this season with the simple Tait > Adams > low cut back. Miller coming inside is creating the space for us to do that.

Obviously Miller is better on the left and I have no doubt he'll be back across there when Morrison is fit but until then it's not exactly the worst problem to have 

25 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I didn’t say he did well on Tuesday (although he was causing problems on the right before Morrison came on).

He was dropped after one poor performance at Raith.

McGlynn has players he trusts and if they are fit, they start. Miller is in that category, Aiden Nesbitt is another, that is why I was sure he would start last week. You can’t really blame him as these players more often than not deliver the goods and are consistent.