The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The signing of Barney Stewart a 6'2'' mobile centre forward explains the lack of movement in signing cover for MacIvor.

Don't think it does at all. Be amazed if this young lad features this season.  

Raw potential but very unlikely to be up to Championship football straight away. 

I know people will say 'Keelan Adams' but he had a chance pre season to get to the level he's at, and right back is a lot easier to play than centre forward. 

A loan to League One then let's see in the summer. I don't think this signing affects our aim to sign cover for Ross.

34 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Raw potential but very unlikely to be up to Championship football straight away. 

I know people will say 'Keelan Adams' but he had a chance pre season to get to the level he's at, and right back is a lot easier to play than centre forward. 

A loan to League One then let's see in the summer. I don't think this signing affects our aim to sign cover for Ross.

If he is training with the squad and playing for HW uni then the chances are he will be the one that replaces MacIver instead of Shanley, wouldn't be surprised if we saw Shanley out on loan in January with Stewart taking his place on the bench.

12 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

If he is training with the squad and playing for HW uni then the chances are he will be the one that replaces MacIver instead of Shanley, wouldn't be surprised if we saw Shanley out on loan in January with Stewart taking his place on the bench.

Yeah I'd have thought he'd just be staying at HW on loan till the summer and training with us  if we didn't think he was ready for this level.  

6 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Not much coverage at that level but you can always rely on Norrie. Barney's number 10 in red, gets a goal, two assists and plenty of involvement.

I think Barney has a poster of Ross McIver on his bedroom wall. You would (evidently) struggle to find a player more in the same mould.

1 well taken goal ✔️

2 assists showing composure and awareness ✔️

Looks to press ✔️

Looks to link play ✔️

Decent in the air ✔️

Decently quick ✔️

Edit: Gets in poaching positions ✔️

I'm excited to see what he can do. He'll definitely need time to adjust going from that standard of opposition to the championship. 

Edited by mic_17_uk
Additional point and spelling correction

Hopefully this lad turns into as good a signing as Adams and McIver. Since he will be available for January I would imagine John's hoping he will be good enough to feature off the branch by then. 

Edited by GMBairn

This lad does look a great prospect on paper. Notable that McGlynn has already mentioned him in the same breath as Keelan Adams, so I presume he'll be integrated in to the Club in the same way, with coordinated training at TFS with his new team mates, whilst out on loan at HW. At 6 2,  20 years old, and a proper unit (!), it's no surprise we've nailed him down til 2027. Well done to all involved in bringing this lad in, and no doubt we'll reap the benefits quite soon. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running like Keelan.

ETA: just watched the vid and the potentials there. Enjoys the physical side with goals and assists in his locker. Made a couple of blind side runs so reads the game. Raw and heres hoping a diamond unearthed.

Edited by GunnerBairn

9 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

He will be part of the squad come January, sure of it. Be understudy to Maciver for but looks like he is seen as a better back up to Maciver than what we have just now. Big step up for him but plenty were chasing him so he must have something about him. 

I think the signing of Barney and the good reception to his signing by our fanbase is a tribute to Keelan Adam’s and his performances . We as a support used to mock the thought of signing players from lower down the football pyramid but Keelan has shown us there are gems there. I’m not saying or expecting Barney to hit the ground running like Keelan has but I’m excited by his signing and I 100% trust the management team and their scouting staff on this call.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think the signing of Barney and the good reception to his signing by our fanbase is a tribute to Keelan Adam’s and his performances . We as a support used to mock the thought of signing players from lower down the football pyramid but Keelan has shown us there are gems there. I’m not saying or expecting Barney to hit the ground running like Keelan has but I’m excited by his signing and I 100% trust the management team and their scouting staff on this call.

I think its more the fact we have had more hits than misses with recruitment since we got a competent manager, when you look at some of the dross that Hartley managed to drag up not to mention Holt.  Though i do think Dowds got a hard time but that was again more down to Holt than the player himself.  He would have been a good fit in our current set up.

Sounds like Barney could be a promising acquisition.

To give some credit to the SPFL/SFA, it does show that the pyramid system is working by giving a pathway for young players who  haven’t come through the traditional route. It’s allowing promising footballers to gain a higher education first whilst also giving them an opportunity to gain worthwhile experience at a decent level.