The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, east fife for life said:

I hope Nathan Austin can get over his injuries and start banging in the goals for Falkirk. I genuinely thought he would be a great signing but hopefully he will come good. Can we have him back on loan to get his match sharpness back please? Didn't think so....

If fit he should be our first choice striker based on what I've seen. He was incredible for East Fife last year when I watched him and has improved in his fleeting appearances this season. I'd be looking at him + one of Baird/McHugh with Miller used as the primary game changing sub.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jesus. Have Loy. Please take him. Your desperation deserves him. He's Colin Mcmenamin junior. I've no idea why you lot are so keen to get him back in. He's not exactly a creative genius that you seem to be craving for. Sounds like you and us both need a Gary Harkins type rather than a Rory Loy. Someone to feed the strikers and give them the opportunities.

Each player has their level. Loy was excellent for us in the championship scoring at nearly a goal every 2 appearances. Obviously the step up was perhaps too much for him. Something similar could be said of hemmings and Stewart who were goal machines in the premier but have only managed 4 between them since moving down south. Whether loy is the player we need right now is the main question.

Losing Vaulks was massive, I can't even remember if we sold him or his contract was up. If it was the former, I wish the board had gambled and kept him till the end of his contract. The league is so poor this season, with Will we probably would of been right up there.

31 minutes ago, BudBairn said:

Losing Vaulks was massive, I can't even remember if we sold him or his contract was up. If it was the former, I wish the board had gambled and kept him till the end of his contract. The league is so poor this season, with Will we probably would of been right up there.

We got around 180k for him.

18 minutes ago, BudBairn said:

We sold him. Had we not done so he would have been free to sign a PCA with someone else five months afterwards.

While only the player will know the difference between his Rotherham salary and Falkirk one, you could perhaps guesstimate that over the course of a season, the difference would have been around a quarter of a million pounds. 

If your employer denied you the chance to earn that kind of money, how much effort would you really give them? 50% of what you gave before maybe? 60%?

That's all speculation of course. Though given that we rejected bids for Alan Gow in the last year of his contract and he was invisible after signing a PCA with Rangers, you can understand why we let him go. I think Gow was actually the last player we kept at the club when he wanted to be elsewhere and at the time I thought it was obvious that he wasn't trying a leg for us. 

Gow was always hot and cold and from memory I am sure he only really turned it on when contract renewal time was closing in. I've no idea why Rangers signed him. However, that's old news, in regards to vaulks we will never know if he would of tried harder or not. It was always gonna be hard to replace Will but the panic buy of Rankin was not the answer.

14 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Any chance of us signing someone who can hit a decent set-piece?

Gotta love those floaty dinks.

I really like the way FFC completely ignores that we've been doing this for years and they just don't work. Let's keep doing it.

If I were on the Board I would not part with anymore cash until we put a new manager in place. I think Houstie has had his chance and has made a right mess of things. His signings have been ordinary at best and he needs to wheel and deal to get shot of his many mistakes, trouble is no one may be interested. I have listed the players IMO that should be offered out to free some of the wage bill up

There's 7 for starters...
Don't see the point of spending money on wages for players that have mage little impact.
Muirhead - has lost his way since the rugby park fiasco
Watson - little contribution this season.
Rankin- Not his fault he was signed to replace Vaulks but we are well covered in this position and he offers nothing in terms of drive or creativity.
Shepherd - we need more than an odd flash here and there. He may have bulked out a bit but has hardly had a shot on goal this season
Craigen - Biggest disappointment for me, I think there is a player in there somewhere but hides during games and I don't think Houston has been able to get the best out of him
Baird - Plenty of effort here but I'm afraid effort does not get you enough points in a season. I think he's too slow and he is getting in a bit. Pace is everything in the modern game and he doesn't have enough. The odd good appearance does not mask his failure to put the ball in the net on a regular basis considering he has been our main striker for the last 2/3 seasons.
Austin - Injury prone, needs to get his scoring form back and even if fit he is unlikely to get a chance. We have all these spare players kicking about wasting valuable funds yet we are shipping goals right left and centre, add to that with all our strikeforce we are hardly getting value for money. We need quality not quantity.
Maybe better saving some money to release Houston from his contract earlier than term, this could be another option

We sold him. Had we not done so he would have been free to sign a PCA with someone else five months afterwards.

While only the player will know the difference between his Rotherham salary and Falkirk one, you could perhaps guesstimate that over the course of a season, the difference would have been around a quarter of a million pounds. 

If your employer denied you the chance to earn that kind of money, how much effort would you really give them? 50% of what you gave before maybe? 60%?

That's all speculation of course. Though given that we rejected bids for Alan Gow in the last year of his contract and he was invisible after signing a PCA with Rangers, you can understand why we let him go. I think Gow was actually the last player we kept at the club when he wanted to be elsewhere and at the time I thought it was obvious that he wasn't trying a leg for us. 

Or you can take the view. The money we will gain from promotion is much bigger than the 170k we got for arguably the best midfielder in the Championship last season.

At some point that is a route Falkirk will have to take ifwe keep producing players if we actually want promoted which you could debate.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Or you can take the view. The money we will gain from promotion is much bigger than the 170k we got for arguably the best midfielder in the Championship last season.

At some point that is a route Falkirk will have to take ifwe keep producing players if we actually want promoted which you could debate.

Or at least invest the cash back into the team instead of pocketing it and using his wages only to sign a player whose shot. That for me sums up the fact they have no interest in promotion.