The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Russ said:

I absolutely love Will Vaulks and I would completely agree we are badly missing his presence and energy in the middle of the park this season.

However Mark Kerr was better than him over the course of last season.

I think kerrs form last season was partly down to Vaulks.  He did all the running allowing Kerr to break up play and play the simple pass. Kerrs been a shadow of the player he was last season as there's no one along side him with the legs or drive of Vaulks. 

Kerr was our most consistent player last year but playing along with Vaulks brought the best out of his game.

The problem with Vaulks leaving is that he was effectively doing the work of two midfielders with the amount of distance covered and contribution in attack and defence. Very rare to find players at this level capable of that to replace him, yet we play the same shape expecting the same results.

Or at least invest the cash back into the team instead of pocketing it and using his wages only to sign a player whose shot. That for me sums up the fact they have no interest in promotion.

I've been saying this for years, we are happy where we are, we are comfortable, we show no real desire to get to the top league irrespective of the MD's comments re completing the stadium, getting back to the top tier blah blah blah.

We went up in 2004/5, severely got our fingers burned on the way back down, focused on the next level etc and crashed spectacularly through piss poor management philosphies and total lack of clear strategy and contingency plan. All in all, our manager at the time was more interested in enhancing his own CV... Maybe just maybe, if the BOD's were to throw a fraction of that funding at the start of the season, with genuine real interest of actually trying to win this league, who knows?

Why are we waiting shit scared to invest in our team? Firstly it was Rangers/Hearts, then Rangers/Hibs, now it's DU/Hibs and who knows only 1 may go up this year. Next year it could be Hibs/Partick Thistle, when will this stop and see a team trying to get up to the top league instead of hoping to do it on the cheap, league reconstruction or the hope that one of the better funded teams have a bad season?

I don't think it will be happening any time soon!

We are a championship team with a championship mentality/attitude. We have a BOD's that constantly fail to recognise that the most important thing in a Football Club are the teams results on the park every game, week in week out. Sometimes it appears as if we are happy existing, I know there will be quite a few season ticket holders that will think twice about paying with £250 at the start of next season's

The whole club needs to be shaken from the top to the bottom...

Folk always manage to get a dig in at Hughes eh. Of course he wanted to enhance his own CV. Give me that over a manager who can't be arsed scouting or some twat looking for a platform to write open letters starting "Dear Scottish football" while floundering in the middle of the second tier.

Folk always manage to get a dig in at Hughes eh. Of course he wanted to enhance his own CV. Give me that over a manager who can't be arsed scouting or some twat looking for a platform to write open letters starting "Dear Scottish football" while floundering in the middle of the second tier.

I think people under estimate the damage Yogi left, a legacy that held the club back for possibly a decade, we are probably still suffering as part of his era?
Although I must add at that time he did search the country scouring for talent and he wasn't afraid to give youth a chance and that was good at the time.

I do feel however, that our current board have seen the aftermath left after he resigned to join Hibs and they are scared to take that plunge again. So the damage has been irreparable and one of the reasons were are where we are at this time. What blueprint was left for May, Pressley and even Holt? Nothing only grassroots, fielding kids in an effort to compete - I must add here that we had some great memories during this time and also earned some decent transfer money along the way.

There is no doubt that Yogi did temporarily raise the profile of the club at that time but deep down it was all part of his plan to get a crack as a manager in England which has come and gone.

Look what happened at ICT when they imposed spending restrictions. He couldn't get his arse down that A9 quick enough.

How did the Board at that time rubber stamp all his acquisitions yet the current situation we find ourselves in have seen us go from one extreme to the other, we just need to strike some balance.

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think kerrs form last season was partly down to Vaulks.  He did all the running allowing Kerr to break up play and play the simple pass. Kerrs been a shadow of the player he was last season as there's no one along side him with the legs or drive of Vaulks. 

Was just gonna say something like this. Kerr has been missing and folk still talk like he's the messiah. It seems to stick out to me that he frequently misplaces 2,3,4 passes in games where he's having an issue with concentration. Far too casual about and rarely drives forward. 

I need to keep up BPM, thought we could have got rid in the summer.

How much would it cost to give him a deal, let's face it, no one is going to try to prise him away... It's time for change!!!

I would have thought well over 100k to clear him out. They are not going to do it. A bleaching today would ramp up the pressure in he Boardroom and Managers office

Calling for Houstons head is a bit extreme for me. A scottish cup final then an above expectations league campaign last season... I think he has earned the right not be hounded out the club in fucking January because of a few bad games.

No earlier than summer for me or I will be disappointed in the club.

Fantastic getting there I agree but it was a cup final that we should have won on the day and by reaching it covered a pretty average season at best!

And yes I agree 2nd last season was above expectations but we achieved that more by pushing our luck to be honest. Don't get me wrong I loved it but it was not achieved by convincing performances.

When combined with some pretty poor signings and a failure to address some glaring frailties then the case for the prosecution looks pretty strong. I won't even mention some spectacularly poor performances this season.

However saying all that I still wouldn't want a change just yet but I'm not as generous as you & don't think his credit that good.

The board on the other hand!!!

I think looking at Houston's record over the 3 seasons means he does deserve a bit more time. However, even last season we were getting results from games without playing well, that's gone to an extent this year, less than 3rd place and that'd be 2 of the 3 seasons below target for league finishes.
My worry is that Houston will plug the gaps with some journeymen in January which doesn't really help us this year. Much as it's not ideal our club needs to be investing in potential to sell on as we do actually seem successful in that area. The best way for us to balance the squad is to invest in a good starting 11 and use the youth players as squad members coming off the bench.

I think looking at Houston's record over the 3 seasons means he does deserve a bit more time. However, even last season we were getting results from games without playing well, that's gone to an extent this year, less than 3rd place and that'd be 2 of the 3 seasons below target for league finishes.
My worry is that Houston will plug the gaps with some journeymen in January which doesn't really help us this year. Much as it's not ideal our club needs to be investing in potential to sell on as we do actually seem successful in that area. The best way for us to balance the squad is to invest in a good starting 11 and use the youth players as squad members coming off the bench.

This season has been really bad, as bad as it's been over the last decade. I have lost confidence in Houstie now. We are a poor team, no drive, energy or direction. The football is utter guff, more often than not relying on long throws, punt up the park etc.

We have too many players and that is eating away at our budget. If I'm honest PH appears lost, I've listened to his most recent interviews on FTV and it appears he and some of the players are watching a different game from me. It's excuse after excuse about being unlucky, ref had a howler, every single game.

We need change now to give us a lift to ensure we make the play offs but then again, is this ambition so important? For me if we scrape through it will give us an extra couple of games at best because there is no way this team are capable of achieving promotion.

Maybe not making the play offs is the best option for the club, long term it may bring about change.

Alan Maybury for new head coach? It's the type of appointment that could happen if PH goes[emoji3]