The Falkirk FC Thread

33 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously with Hartley you've got winning the title with Dundee

This was a brilliant achievement after the mess 'Bomber' left. First game in he got everyones confidence up and we destroyed Hamilton and then went on a great run. Will do well here. IMO.

56 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously with Hartley you've got winning the title with Dundee then taking them into the top six counting in his favour, but if we're purely talking about his time at Alloa I'm not buying that the job he did there was as good as the job Aitken is doing at Dumbarton.

Aitken has his flaws, but keeping a part-time team in the Championship is harder than winning promotion from League One through the playoffs and Aitken has done that twice. Hartley took Alloa up - which was obviously deserving of praise - then enjoyed a decent start to the season, but he had a tantrum and rage quit as soon as they had a bad run of results, leaving them in eighth. Aitken has persisted through bad runs, doing enough to turn Dumbarton round from those spells and keep them up, whereas Hartley didn't have the temperament to stick it out with Alloa in that situation and chose to leave it to another manager to salvage.

Hartley has proven he can work at a higher level and has won the league before. I'd rather take a punt on him than aitken who has done a decent job at Dumbarton and stranraer but would be a bit more of a gamble. He'd also cost us some cash while hartley is free.

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Got a feeling we are going to get a left field appointment like we got with Holt TBH

Looking at some of the names mentioned I'd take a left field appointment before a lot of them. Main worry is that our bod have shown before that they know feck all about football which is why we ended up with the likes of may, Pressley and Holt.

43 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously with Hartley you've got winning the title with Dundee then taking them into the top six counting in his favour, but if we're purely talking about his time at Alloa I'm not buying that the job he did there was as good as the job Aitken is doing at Dumbarton.

Aitken has his flaws, but keeping a part-time team in the Championship is harder than winning promotion from League One through the playoffs and Aitken has done that twice. Hartley took Alloa up - which was obviously deserving of praise - then enjoyed a decent start to the season, but he had a tantrum and rage quit as soon as they had a bad run of results, leaving them in eighth. Aitken has persisted through bad runs, doing enough to turn Dumbarton round from those spells and keep them up, whereas Hartley didn't have the temperament to stick it out with Alloa in that situation and chose to leave it to another manager to salvage.

If Aitken had taken Stranraer from 3rd division to championship in two seasons then on paper it would be similar to Hartley.  A lot of us laughed at his fitness regimes pre games and half time with Alloa but it didnt look funny when they were in the top half of the table for a spell. He had took Alloa as far as he could, the general consensus was that if he stayed longer, he would only harm his reputation after taking them up two leagues and riding high first half of the season, tho getting the Dundee job just over two weeks from quitting, suggests something was whispered in his ear.

Murray and Ross did a better job than Aitken for me (obviously Ross the brains behind the operation) Dumbarton are a bigger club than Alloa which made Hartley's achievements with them a bit more for me.

Historically there has always been one or more full time club to go tits up to help part time clubs to stay up in recent times, cant actually recall the last time there wasnt a part time club in this league