The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Thing was though that the short-term signings that Hartley made all looked not too bad. Nelson, Jakubiak and Longridge were all very good, Tumilty and Blair did a job and even Welsh added something. I think it was reasonable then that most of us assumed that he could spot a player and further assumed that the new signings would all be decent. It's mind boggling that they're all as poor as they are!

What did Welsh add?

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

This is a common error made by fans.

Players don't always fit nicely into brackets like this (the type good enough to win you the league, the type you might get a playoff with, the type that'll keep you in the division etc).

Different players perform differently with other players, managers, and systems in place.

It's not just a case of bringing in certain standard of player (let's sign him because he's a championship winner), it's about building a team. Livi showed that you can make two promotions in two years, and ayr are doing fairly well this year with a very similar team which came very close to bottling league 1.

Two years ago Ayr signed Gary harkins and we all got carried away - and then he turned out to be one of the worst signings in recent history. He's a very, very good player but he didn't fit our team.

Not many of the players we were happy to see bugger off have actually won promotion for their clubs either though .  Craigen and Longridge and hippo  are playing in a piss poor Dunfermline outfit and Aird and Watson are playing in a stinking United team.  Peter Grant hasn't kicked a ball for Plymouth and whilst Ayr are doing well with Kerr in their side I doubt they'll end up in the top flight come April. Austin is still in this league  too. Like's of Miller and Taiwo are doing well but most of us would've kept them given the choice.  Bob McHugh and John Baird havent done much since getting punted either. With Baird now in the seaside leagues.  None of the players we've been happy to let go have set the heather on fire.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Not many of the players we were happy to see bugger off have actually won promotion for their clubs either though .  Craigen and Longridge and hippo  are playing in a piss poor Dunfermline outfit and Aird and Watson are playing in a stinking United team.  Peter Grant hasn't kicked a ball for Plymouth and whilst Ayr are doing well with Kerr in their side I doubt they'll end up in the top flight come April. Austin is still in this league  too. Like's of Miller and Taiwo are doing well but most of us would've kept them given the choice.  Bob McHugh and John Baird havent done much since getting punted either. With Baird now in the seaside leagues.  None of the players we've been happy to let go have set the heather on fire.

Players will come and go, managers in and out but nothing will ever change one simple fact. No one will ever replace Will :bairn

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

Neither is it really any worse.

One thing in its favour, is that they've recently come together. Last seasons squad had blown a chance of the play off final, only three months previous.

I'd say it's significantly worse. You'd struggle to find any position which isn't a substantial downgrade.

A Watson and Grant combo at the back for example is light years ahead of Dallison and Harrison.

The squad we had last season was very very poor when Hartley took over. Very poor.

This lot are a substantial downgrade on them.

11 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

I agreed with the decision to get rid of Peter Grant at the end of the season due to his massive slump since the injury. But he was still an average championship player at worst and it's crazy to release a player like him if you don't know if you can bring in better.

The team Houston left us with didn't have no points from 5 games and wouldn't have gone down like the current team will. It's absolutely incredible that we have a worse team than this time last year, and and all of those responsible will be remembered for a long time at this club.

It's also utterly ridiculous for people to blame the board for signing decisions that were made by Hartley and Mitchell.  Many posters were wanking themselves into a frenzy at the prospect of us signing players released by Truro City, Hartlepool and Motherwell(and most have disappeared since). I tell you what, I'd much rather have Houston's 'lazy' signings from Hibs and Hearts than these jokers.

Tell that to Olaf Thom

14 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I still have a problem with this. For it to be based on fact rather than wishful thinking, there has to be a case for saying that if properly managed, our guys are better than the opposition players who presumably, are already being well coached. Of what we have seen so far, many of our players aren’t better than anyone. I would even go so far as to say that there are better players plying their trade in L1 who are better than Fasan, Harrison, Dallison, Lewis, Turner, TOE, and even Kidd.

I don’t know all of those who are out there and available. I am sure none of us do. I am certain from what I have seen that way too many of our signed players are way out of their depth, and cannot be coached to the required standard. There is no Mighty Ducks or Mean Machine story in the making at TFS.

The Elvis season with academy players, he individually coached many of them through the games, Mark Stewart especially was like he was playing fifa 18 with him and controlling him by control pad, the likes of Celtic and Rangers getting to European finals in the last 15yr wasnt because they had the best players, they had an effective way of playing more so the Rangers team.

We have seen the so many managers come in and save clubs from relegation when rooted to the bottom when it seemed like relegation was impossible to avoid, fuk the season we stayed up Hughes dropped McBride for the 6 out of our last 7 games and we lost only once and saved ourselves from the drop.

I am not expecting miracles to go from looking like the worst FFC team I have seen to promotion challengers, a simple bit of organistion via coaching during the week, playing players which makes that organistion glue together match day and we may get somewhere.

If you want to stick to doom and gloom and claim coaching doesnt work, where it does well thats your choice. I seriously would give up with Falkirk Fc if I reached your level of doom and gloom tho.....

14 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

You can 'coach' players till you're blue in the face but most just aren't good enough for this level and never will be. No amount of coaching will turn Scott Harrison into a championship level player. I'm almost positive we could re-sign David McCracken tomorrow and he'd do a better job for us.

Coaching a formation and tactics can even make the shittest player look half decent tho

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

This is a common error made by fans.

Players don't always fit nicely into brackets like this (the type good enough to win you the league, the type you might get a playoff with, the type that'll keep you in the division etc).

Different players perform differently with other players, managers, and systems in place.

It's not just a case of bringing in certain standard of player (let's sign him because he's a championship winner), it's about building a team. Livi showed that you can make two promotions in two years, and ayr are doing fairly well this year with a very similar team which came very close to bottling league 1.

Two years ago Ayr signed Gary harkins and we all got carried away - and then he turned out to be one of the worst signings in recent history. He's a very, very good player but he didn't fit our team.

Mark Millar effect for us under Holt a prime example of similar of above, we had Ollie Durajoiye in the centre of midfield who was never a centre mid or footballer for me, we bring in Mark Millar and we go from the rollercoaster team with results to challengers at the top end, one player can make all the difference and get the best out of the team and it doesnt have to be a Ronaldoesque type player

56 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The Elvis season with academy players, he individually coached many of them through the games, Mark Stewart especially was like he was playing fifa 18 with him and controlling him by control pad, the likes of Celtic and Rangers getting to European finals in the last 15yr wasnt because they had the best players, they had an effective way of playing more so the Rangers team.

We have seen the so many managers come in and save clubs from relegation when rooted to the bottom when it seemed like relegation was impossible to avoid, fuk the season we stayed up Hughes dropped McBride for the 6 out of our last 7 games and we lost only once and saved ourselves from the drop.

I am not expecting miracles to go from looking like the worst FFC team I have seen to promotion challengers, a simple bit of organistion via coaching during the week, playing players which makes that organistion glue together match day and we may get somewhere.

If you want to stick to doom and gloom and claim coaching doesnt work, where it does well thats your choice. I seriously would give up with Falkirk Fc if I reached your level of doom and gloom tho.....

Coaching a formation and tactics can even make the shittest player look half decent tho

Mark Millar effect for us under Holt a prime example of similar of above, we had Ollie Durajoiye in the centre of midfield who was never a centre mid or footballer for me, we bring in Mark Millar and we go from the rollercoaster team with results to challengers at the top end, one player can make all the difference and get the best out of the team and it doesnt have to be a Ronaldoesque type player

I doubt Eden hazard could get us going with the dross we have. We were probably midtable mince before Millar came back.  Id' take mid table mince the now any day.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Thing is the new signings were largely down to "Mitch" whoever the f**k he actually was.  I can honestly say out of the omnishables we have Mitch needs kicked squarely in the nuts.

Aye as long as its none of the current squad doing it. The chances of any of them hitting the target are slim to say the feckin least.

I was in the south stand last game of last season and I was a few feet away from  Peter Grant as he took off his top and handed it to a youngster at the end of the game.   I could see in his face how much Falkirk meant to him as he was on the verge of crying.   Yes, he was never the same after his long-term injury but I was gutted when he was let go.   He has his faults but I would take him back in a heartbeat.  He gave everything he had - how many in our current team does that?

Also, am I the only one who can't stand Muirhead?   I wish he had been let go, not made our captain.  I have no confidence in him at all, except when taking penalties.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
add a bit

I personally think there is still a bit of improvement to come. All these new players have been trained for months by a little buffoon acting like a tyrant.  The improvement in 2 weeks under McKinnon has been promising.

Now I'm not saying we are world beaters but I think we will be able to field an 11 that will be strong enough to win some games. 

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I was in the south stand last game of last season and I was a few feet away from  Peter Grant as he took off his top and handed it to a youngster at the end of the game.   I could see in his face how much Falkirk meant to him as he was on the verge of crying.   Yes, he was never the same after his long-term injury but I was gutted when he was let go.   He has his faults but I would take him back in a heartbeat.  He gave everything he had - how many in our current team does that?

Oh I think the majority are giving all that they have. Unfortunately, they don’t have that much to give. A lot of them are now very rattled individuals who are becoming very institutionalised into defeat being the outcome every time they play. Saturday was the best example, where second half, there was absolutely zero belief that they could go on and add more goals. They were scared, and the outcome was just a self fulfilling prophecy that in their heads, many accepted as being inevitable. They have an established losing mentality that coupled to their limited ability, is something that is going to be near impossible to break.

6 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I personally think there is still a bit of improvement to come. All these new players have been trained for months by a little buffoon acting like a tyrant.  The improvement in 2 weeks under McKinnon has been promising.

Now I'm not saying we are world beaters but I think we will be able to field an 11 that will be strong enough to win some games. 

Its how quickly we can start doing that though. Not any truly awful teams in the league this season apart from perhaps us unfortunately. Getting the likes of Ralston in  would've made a big difference but the feckwits in our bod took too long to get things sorted out.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

What did Welsh add?

I thought that there was a player in there somewhere. He at least provided some competition for places and I think he would have done a decent job if he had ever got fit. As things stand I would have last season's Welsh in the team right now!

21 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Its how quickly we can start doing that though. Not any truly awful teams in the league this season apart from perhaps us unfortunately. Getting the likes of Ralston in  would've made a big difference but the feckwits in our bod took too long to get things sorted out.

What did they take too long to sort out?

McKinnon praised them for managing to bring in Rudden at the last minute.

32 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It had nothing to do with the board.

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

But you are resorting to teams being down and out and avoiding relegation as the norm. How many times do teams that are down and out and look rotten NOT have an amazing turnaround under a new manager and end up getting relegated. Let me tell you....every single season in every league in the world.

You want to give us your sage wisdom that a bit of coaching will fix this,then fine. It might work, but it’s likely to fail. Of course, you will take the path that if it fails, it’s because they weren’t being coached properly. Please don’t tell me when to support and not support FFC. I have been doing that for longer than you have been alive, and that’s certainly a bit of your sage advice that’s well worth ignoring.