The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Rumours is he ain’t the hardest worker

Given that McKinnon was unhappy with the fitness levels and as he's introduced a tougher training regime there may well be something in that.

It might be a bit early to be speculating on why folk haven't been involved or people being frozen out like they were last year. Maybe the guys rays picking have just been performing better in training than the others, he can only go on what he had seen in the last month with his own eyes.

He needed a start point there no sense in having as many players and rotating them constantly to find out who is better in what position and who can work with who.  We needed to get a settled starting 11  get them playing in a certain way and work with them that way they will start to know how each other works, the rest can work on formation and fitness and come in as and when players dip in form (although with the current crop it would be easier to notice who was on form).

or that would be my take on why certain players arent player, with Froxy i def think there is a player in there but needs to get a bit fitter

Edited by AL-FFC

28 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am from the era of early 70’s onwards but to not have Latapy in there and have Jim Shirra is bizarre

Different style of player, every side needs a ball winner. Shirra is the hardest worker I have seen play for Falkirk. Hard as nails but could play a bit and add a few goals. No rights or wrongs and you have a fair point.

41 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

He needed a start point there no sense in having as many players and rotating them constantly to find out who is better in what position and who can work with who.  We needed to get a settled starting 11  get them playing in a certain way and work with them that way they will start to know how each other works, the rest can work on formation and fitness and come in as and when players dip in form (although with the current crop it would be easier to notice who was on form).

or that would be my take on why certain players arent player, with Froxy i def think there is a player in there but needs to get a bit fitter

Aye, I highly doubt McKinnon feels he has done enough of drilling the basics, and establishing a solid base to allow a luxury player like Froxy to start. His time will hopefully come as long as he works hard presumably. Same with Greenwood. I guess he's to work his way ontot eh bench, then hope to get a chance from there

For anyone born after 1980 Latapy has to be in their team. The most naturally gifted player I have seen at Falkirk who made football look easy. Crunchie gave more and was consistently our best player in the early 90's and then latterly after Hibs and though I didn't see it I'm sure he was in his first spell , Simon was flamboyant and provided pure entertainment and amazing moments in the most exciting team I have seen at Brockville. Latapy was more often than not the best player on the park in the games he played and we were very lucky to see him.

Aye I went to my first game in 1995 and Latapy is by a considerable distance the best player I’ve seen play for us. He was fucking brilliant.

He even made Alan Gow look good.

Aye I went to my first game in 1995 and Latapy is by a considerable distance the best player I’ve seen play for us. He was fucking brilliant.

He even made Alan Gow look good.

Alan Gow was good but could have been much better if he had put the effort in.

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Going in another direction. Best Falkirk XI from players seen. Here is mine Whigham , S Kennedy , Mclaughlin . Markie , Miller , Gibson . McAllister , Stainrod , M Johnson , Shirra , Stokes. I acknowledge there are better individual players than Markie Miller & Gibson but as a unit I have never seen a better 4,5,6 play together. Manager of course Mr W Cunningham.

How can you only have 1 player from the squad that achieved our 2nd highest league position in 50 years and leave out the best player from that squad ? Very bizarre.

Krul, Uras, Aafjes, Barr, Kingsley, McAllister, Arfield, Riera, Latapy, Stainrod, Stokes

Edited by EdiBairn

9 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

How can you only have 1 player from the squad that achieved our 2nd highest league position in 50 years and leave out the best player from that squad ? Very bizarre.

Because it's a personal choice which is very possibly heavily loaded with nostalgia, just like mine was.

Krul, Uras, Aafjes, Barr, Kingsley, McAllister, Arfield, Riera, Latapy, Stainrod, Stokes

The 70-71 season we finished 7th.... HSW and shaggers team contain a few from that era.
Considering that we had a strong league at that time with Celtic and Rangers doing well in Europe... bigger acheivment in my eyes.

Just read on the club website that "random searches" will be carried out before tommows "derby. If the guys find a right back can they please take him immediately to the home dressing room. 

Edited by Stainrod

11 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Just read on the club website that "random searches" will be carried out before tommows "derby. If the guys find a right back anywhere could they please take him immediately to the dressing room. 

I would go for looking for an on form starting 11 or a decent 11 as i am pretty sure ours went missing at start of the season

Thinking outside the box. - our odds are now 250 - 1 to win the league. If the board were to stick 10k on at these odds then back Ray big time in the Jan window we could have a hellova party in April. But I guess  that would take balls! 

6 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Worst shout ever. Olejnik was a fine keeper. 

In all fairness he wasn't by far the worst, although his coming out for cross balls was a worrying one. His standout game was the remembrance Sunday game against Celtic he played an absolute blinder, pen save as well was there not ?

This is bloody grim when your having a sh*te season you can always rely on nostalgia to keep you going.

10 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Different standards of football in different eras.  Standard of Scottish football when we were in the top flight under Hughes was brutal compared to the standard when Jefferies had us in there. I reckon our side we got promotion with including Stainrod, May etc would be top 4 in the top flight in this era,