The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Well the manager didnt come out and say that wasn't the case so I would like to think that he did go and ask them for more money and they provided it until  either the share issue gets agreed or the club is sold. I would hope that this will be clarified on Friday one way or the other. I'd hate to think what the original budget was like if the increased one has us working with only 18 players. 

the manager won't know or care where the money is coming from, the club had some cash in the bank, money from 2000 season ticket sales and the vaulks money, i find it very hard to believe that any of the MSG put their hand in their pocket to boost the budget, they haven't in nearly a decade, why would they start now?....your right though this does need to be clarified on Friday.

13 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

the manager won't know or care where the money is coming from, the club had some cash in the bank, money from 2000 season ticket sales and the vaulks money, i find it very hard to believe that any of the MSG put their hand in their pocket to boost the budget, they haven't in nearly a decade, why would they start now?....your right though this does need to be clarified on Friday.

As far as we are lead to believe last seasons debacle has reduced our cash in bank to basically nowt.  Our prize money has dropped 300k in the last two seasons and I'm sure the accounts for this financial year will show a sizeable loss.  Season ticket income will be down considerably and yet we are still signing players on championship wages .  We perhaps may get an idea of how much the vaulks cash actually was on Friday.  I'm no fan of the board far from it but I certainly think some investment has been needed to allow Mckinnon to sign the players he has.  Yes they havent invested in a while but their hand has been forced this season by the desperate need to get out of this league asap.  Will be interesting though to find out what happens to this extra investment if they have to go back to the btb option and no club sale occurs. I for one will not be paying ten  quid plus a month to fund these cretins mistakes over the last decade. One sniff of them getting any of that 800k and I'm out I'm afraid.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

As far as we are lead to believe last seasons debacle has reduced our cash in bank to basically nowt.  Our prize money has dropped 300k in the last two seasons and I'm sure the accounts for this financial year will show a sizeable loss.  Season ticket income will be down considerably and yet we are still signing players on championship wages .  We perhaps may get an idea of how much the vaulks cash actually was on Friday.  I'm no fan of the board far from it but I certainly think some investment has been needed to allow Mckinnon to sign the players he has.  Yes they havent invested in a while but their hand has been forced this season been the desperate need to get out of this league asap. 

As far as am aware the clubs bank balance has went from 1.2m(after the scottish cup final) to 200k at the end of last season, so even though they have wasted 1M of our money there was still some left, i believe with that, season tickets and vaulks money it would be enough to to what we are doing player wise this season, the squad budget will still be significantly down on last season, only 18 players and local ones at that. I think the club had a couple of rented flats in Kinnaird Village last season, that's another saving on last year but as you said hopefully all clarified on Friday.

3 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

As far as am aware the clubs bank balance has went from 1.2m(after the scottish cup final) to 200k at the end of last season, so even though they have wasted 1M of our money there was still some left, i believe with that, season tickets and vaulks money it would be enough to to what we are doing player wise this season, the squad budget will still be significantly down on last season, only 18 players and local ones at that. I think the club had a couple of rented flats in Kinnaird Village last season, that's another saving on last year but as you said hopefully all clarified on Friday.

Not sure how much was left in the bank at the end of last season as the accounts for that year wont be out till this years agm.  Had 500k still left at the end of the previous financial year thanks to tony gallacher and kingsley.  But that will have been hit hard by player turnover costs and fines, compo in the mckinnon case etc. If its 200k you really dont want to be putting all of that into the players budget and having hee haw left for a rainy day fund.

Thought Gomis was outstanding last night and got to agree on pretty much all comments made, Good few shouts from Doyle looking for the ball on the right when he was unmarked by the time he was looking to get the ball he was marked.  I think the one thing with last night its difficult to judge a team when your opposition has 10 men behind the ball and sitting in to defend its trying to break that down and punish them for any mistakes which fortunately for us McManus did.  Their keeper made a couple of outstanding saves.
Get used to that pattern of play. Even in the season we were utterly rank, teams set up with a back 4 or 5 and 5 or 4 midfielders with one striker, and we had to try and break then down for 90 minutes. Sometimes it works and you get an early goal (we started our promotion season by winning 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 then 7-1) but more often than not it's a slog. I know you lot don't like MT but I agree with him in a sense that winning the league can be boring - either through a series of non-contests or by having 85% of possession and only coming away with a 0-0 or maybe a scrappy 1-0 win.

30 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Get used to that pattern of play. Even in the season we were utterly rank, teams set up with a back 4 or 5 and 5 or 4 midfielders with one striker, and we had to try and break then down for 90 minutes. Sometimes it works and you get an early goal (we started our promotion season by winning 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 then 7-1) but more often than not it's a slog. I know you lot don't like MT but I agree with him in a sense that winning the league can be boring - either through a series of non-contests or by having 85% of possession and only coming away with a 0-0 or maybe a scrappy 1-0 win.

Much as I can see that might get tedious after a while, I don't think you guys are getting just how traumatised we are from last season. Anything that even remotely resembles a football team is like giving a dying man water at this point. Watching us actually pass the ball last night was such a strange feeling after an entire season of hoofball and hoping somehow Rudden could scramble it into the net. A season of slowly winning games against 10 men defending will be like a year long spa break in comparison.

So if everyone is fit and healthy, assuming we only make 1 more signing for LB cover, we're likely to line up something similar to

Bell

Doyle Durnan Buchanan Dixon

Gomis

Telfer Tidser

Connolly

Sammon McManus

Subs: Mutch, Toshney, (New LB), McShane, McLean, Leitch, Johnstone

with Laverty carrying an injury.

Are we 100% out of the reserve league then? Feels a bit mad not having a u19s or reserve side but hopefully that can change as time goes on. I know we signed up a load of random players last season to make up the numbers in the reserve side.

I think it would be sensible to stop the reserve side this year. Hopefully if we’re promoted first time of asking we can start it up again next year.

Cant actually believe Ohara has found a team never mind one in the championship.
Mrs O'Hara thrashed out the terms IMO

3 hours ago, printer said:

Alloa have signed Kevin O'Hara.

Just noting it FYI, in case you weren't aware. Not looking for any opinions on what he's like. Know that already. emoji846.png

Never knew you were looking for folk to man the pie stall.

If we do only sign another one then injuries and suspensions will hamper us IMO and would be the only reason if we don’t win the league. A club the size of us shouldn’t be having less than 20 first team players. I would have guessed around 22, leaving 4 missing out the match day squad.

17 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

So if everyone is fit and healthy, assuming we only make 1 more signing for LB cover, we're likely to line up something similar to

Bell

Gomis

Telfer Tidser

Connolly

Sammon McManus

Are we 100% out of the reserve league then? Feels a bit mad not having a u19s or reserve side but hopefully that can change as time goes on. I know we signed up a load of random players last season to make up the numbers in the reserve side.

This would appear a squad (sic) that is assembled to mount a challenge for top 4 in the Championship.

Giving Ray the benefit of the doubt, he had little chance of bringing in this type of player in January, hence the relegation that followed. Ironic that Sammon turned down a move then, if he had agreed he may well have been playing a division one above the one in which he now plays.

Anyway, I digress. Falkirk have the largest budget in Div 1 and Ray is using the money on quality (less than 20 players) rather than quantity.  I don’t see any detractors regarding the squad make up on here, and McManus is a superb capture. (Edited to add - spoke too soon, as Shodwall below has commented).

Ray’s own future is on the line here. I do like the man, and the season should go well. But then again, we are Falkirk - expect the unexpected 

Edited by HonestAl

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Bell

Gomis

Telfer Tidser

Connolly

Sammon McManus

Thats the team that gives me the utter fear.  Can see a lot of low scoring games like last night as we try to pass our way through ten man defences.  Dixon and Doyle running up to the opposition fullbacks and then lumping aimless balls into the box being the only other option.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
5 hours ago, AL-FFC said:
Thought Gomis was outstanding last night and got to agree on pretty much all comments made, Good few shouts from Doyle looking for the ball on the right when he was unmarked by the time he was looking to get the ball he was marked.  I think the one thing with last night its difficult to judge a team when your opposition has 10 men behind the ball and sitting in to defend its trying to break that down and punish them for any mistakes which fortunately for us McManus did.  Their keeper made a couple of outstanding saves.

We have McKinnon as manager so 2-0 for him is a humping !!!

16 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If we dont win the league he surely will be getting the bullet. Would be just about as incompetent as the current board.

If it's a slow/poor start, he won't see October