The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Be great if there was a system already in operation to allow younger players to develop at the appropriate level for their skills and abilities.

Like if a team at that level could..... borrow them for a while and give them back.

Image result for sarcasm meme star wars

8 minutes ago, AGPar said:

The subsidy is a pittance and comes nowhere close to covering the costs of travel/accommodation etc.

That's just not true though:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/fears-as-irn-bru-cash-fizzles-out-of-scotland/

In the competition, teams who have to travel from Scotland, England or Wales to Northern or the Republic of Ireland or vice-versa receive a £10,000 travel subsidy.

While sides who don’t have to cross the Irish Sea, but still have a round trip of more than 500 miles receive £3,500.

It's really not the tournament organisers' fault if Falkirk were either too incompetent or deliberately chose more expensive options and went over the sum given to them at that time. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

Falkirk lost money a few years ago with the trip to Sligo Rovers, you get a set fee and if it doesn't cover the travel costs, tough.

Teams are given £10k if travelling to Ireland. Surely thats more than enough for say 30 people to travel by ferry and a couple of nights accomodation?

8 minutes ago, champions said:

Teams are given £10k if travelling to Ireland. Surely thats more than enough for say 30 people to travel by ferry and a couple of nights accomodation?

It wouldn't have been as much at that time but the sum was still significant enough. Plus you then get ~40% of the gate receipts as usual from the cup match played, which seems to have been forgotten about by those expressing concern about the costs of it all. 

There are some valid reasons to complain about or dinghy the Challenge Cup entirely, but complaining about travel costs when it is in fact the only competition in Scottish football to support clubs on that front - including long distance trips within Scotland as well - is ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

It’s been a diddy Cup for the right reasons though, gives smaller sides a chance of winning something, I’m pretty sure that’s the whole point of it. Adding the colt sides brings absolutely nothing to what is already a pretty rubbish cup, the whole reason why they’ve been brought in is to see if they can play well against the lower tier clubs, and you are the one being extremely naive to think that this isn’t being looked at as a gateway to entering colt sides into the league structure in Scotland.

People not attending these games, even with the cheaper tickets, gives those in charge absolutely no evidence that supporters want these glorified reserve sides in any senior competitions in this country.

The argument whether the foreign teams should be in it is another one altogether though, they bring f**k all other than a decent away trip.

If it's about giving the smaller teams a chance at winning something then you'd be as well limiting the tournament to leagues 1 and 2.  Out the 29 winners about 3 have come from teams out with the championship.  Personally I'd rather they just ditched it altogether.

The only potentially attractive tie in the diddy biscuit cup would be another home tie against that Welsh mob we had last year and that would be on the proviso that McKinnon sent the team out with the sole aim of maiming and crippling as many of the sheep worrying cluggers as possible.

The only potentially attractive tie in the diddy biscuit cup would be another home tie against that Welsh mob we had last year and that would be on the proviso that McKinnon sent the team out with the sole aim of maiming and crippling as many of the sheep worrying cluggers as possible.
I think leathering a few of McCarts wonderboys is up there tbh. Not that it excuses attendance.

It’s why we need an academy,if BTB fails to be involved why don’t we use that enthusiasm and direct it towards a new standalone academy. A BTB run academy with a proper structure and contracts in place with the club whereby the entity were properly rewarded with a share of fees sell one etc could work . What is the real cost of an academy I’m certain local business would support an academy and former players who and competent local coaches / fans might just give their time for free. We might only need a good figurehead/ mentor to attract the right caliber of boys + we are in the ideal location with great facilities. Worth a thought !

13 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

It’s why we need an academy,if BTB fails to be involved why don’t we use that enthusiasm and direct it towards a new standalone academy. A BTB run academy with a proper structure and contracts in place with the club whereby the entity were properly rewarded with a share of fees sell one etc could work . What is the real cost of an academy I’m certain local business would support an academy and former players who and competent local coaches / fans might just give their time for free. We might only need a good figurehead/ mentor to attract the right caliber of boys + we are in the ideal location with great facilities. Worth a thought !

I'd love this to be the case, at the time I went along with the idea of the academy costing too much money and using that cash to get into the top tier but not having an academy or a youth team has really robbed the club of its identity. I think it's embarrassing tbh.

I'd welcome anything we can do to bring it back in a sustainable form.

Crunch1e at the head he gave us everything let’s give him something back .
Plenty of local business experience to help run it negotiate contracts with the club etc . I’m sure stakeholders who were going to put money into the club would find it just as exciting to deliver a regular supply of young talent to the club. Difference would be that the BTB owned academy would reap the rewards which could be 100 % reinvested. It’s a win win the club gets better players the academy is self supporting and the fans get a better product !

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

Crunch1e at the head he gave us everything let’s give him something back .

Birthday caird pish. 

I love Crunchie but does he even want to be involved in running an academy? Has he been in the past? He wpuld waltz into a job with the club if he wanted one. Has he? Not to my knowledge. Maybe the wee man is happy just being a fan. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Birthday caird pish. 

I love Crunchie but does he even want to be involved in running an academy? Has he been in the past? He wpuld waltz into a job with the club if he wanted one. Has he? Not to my knowledge. Maybe the wee man is happy just being a fan. 

Whats he doing these days not heard of him being involved in football since was it Albion Rovers with Scott crabbe ?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Birthday caird pish. 

Pretty sure he was paid during his time as a player. Does he even have the skills to carry put such a role? Probably not otherwise he would be involved somewhere.

19 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Whats he doing these days not heard of him being involved in football since was it Albion Rovers with Scott crabbe ?

Pipefitter. Good interview here.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/falkirk/interview-kevin-mcallister-still-grieving-end-of-brockville-1-4002614