The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

If you look at the sports management company they list a UK address and postcode in Wales. If you look there you will find four companies in total. Three of which, coincidentally with ‘Bell’ in the name but no sign of the sports management company....

So no relevance then. Bell Sports Management are a US registered company. 

11 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Well ! The reason why not is reality of what it is like on the pitch. You could put together 11 players that are great in their individual positions but playing together their limitations expose the limitations of the great players beside them and its a disaster. Here is the scenario. Midfield player good allrounder but if ball player in behind him he is slow on the turn. This exposes the good all rounder centre back  that is slow for his first 3 - strides. Result big hole in the middle of the park and games lost. What do you learn from that ? The best players don't make the best teams,sometimes conditions determine who gets a game, and sometimes the opposition can be exploited by a less talented player but with a game winning attribute. Get a grip Shadwell ! 

Who said anything about just flinging any old 11 players together.  I very much doubt the plan is to turn up on the 31st of August with 11 new players that have never met and stick them on the park.  We have a team just now.  We will always be looking for better players especially if we get promoted. John Park would be finding these new players.  They would then be funnelled into the side just like any other club does it.  The idea  is that they play well are then worth a few bob.  Its no rocket science ffs.  Its in both the clubs and owners interests that these players are good enough to play for falkirk and then be worth a transfer fee. We would still have a manager involved in picking the team to ensure there are no centrebacks slow in his first 3 strides behind slow turning good allrounders. Jesus christ.

11 hours ago, mic_17_uk said:

Having tendered a replacement pitch recently I can confirm it's not cheap.

Rule of thumb seems to be the pitch should last 5 years. Cheap sock pad 5 years also and a good one 10 years. Given the relatively light use our pitch gets, we might expect more than that.

There's plenty of variables, particularly the type of fill material, but you're looking at £275-400k to replace the pitch. If the shock pad (layer below the turf) needs replaced then you can add the best part of £100k to that.

I seem to remember that the money to replace was factored in to the financial plans when it was purchased so you would hope this is still the case but knowing our mob they will have made a cant of this too.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I seem to remember that the money to replace was factored in to the financial plans when it was purchased so you would hope this is still the case but knowing our mob they will have made a cant of this too.

In theory you could ringfence a percentage of the revenue from pitch hire so that each year you gradually build up a nest egg to pay for a replacement.

In reality, I suspect that nest egg was spent as a result of managerial changes and squad rebuilds over the last few years. I doubt they would have kept money back when we were staring into the abyss of League One.

15 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

In theory you could ringfence a percentage of the revenue from pitch hire so that each year you gradually build up a nest egg to pay for a replacement.

In reality, I suspect that nest egg was spent as a result of managerial changes and squad rebuilds over the last few years. I doubt they would have kept money back when we were staring into the abyss of League One.

You could well be right mate and that is my fears too. 

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who said anything about just flinging any old 11 players together.  I very much doubt the plan is to turn up on the 31st of August with 11 new players that have never met and stick them on the park.  We have a team just now.  We will always be looking for better players especially if we get promoted. John Park would be finding these new players.  They would then be funnelled into the side just like any other club does it.  The idea  is that they play well are then worth a few bob.  Its no rocket science ffs.  Its in both the clubs and owners interests that these players are good enough to play for falkirk and then be worth a transfer fee. We would still have a manager involved in picking the team to ensure there are no centrebacks slow in his first 3 strides behind slow turning good allrounders. Jesus christ.

I can't see the likes of John Park shopping at the likes of Morton or QOS for players so where will he be looking to find players. At Celtic he trawled the European leagues and signed absolute gem but for transfer fees , and a promise of a shop window to the EPL - that's not gonna happen at Falkirk, well not until (if) we get to the top league.

Unscrupulous dodgy types (Hiya Mark) have been known to use innovative finance models i.e other people's money to fund player purchases - like high interest sale-and-leaseback arrangements which allow the club to spread the cost of buying a player over the length of his contract. These are very risky and can only work well if the player stays injury free and can be sold for more than the initial transfer fee and interest. I hope MC's sports company isn't looking at this model to fund his great plan.    

4 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I can't see the likes of John Park shopping at the likes of Morton or QOS for players so where will he be looking to find players. At Celtic he trawled the European leagues and signed absolute gem but for transfer fees , and a promise of a shop window to the EPL - that's not gonna happen at Falkirk, well not until (if) we get to the top league.

Unscrupulous dodgy types (Hiya Mark) have been known to use innovative finance models i.e other people's money to fund player purchases - like high interest sale-and-leaseback arrangements which allow the club to spread the cost of buying a player over the length of his contract. These are very risky and can only work well if the player stays injury free and can be sold for more than the initial transfer fee and interest. I hope MC's sports company isn't looking at this model to fund his great plan.    

You would need to ask John Park himself why he's getting involved and were he would be looking for players. Certainly the plan would only work if we got out of league one anyway. You're not going to get it working in the seaside leagues.  Anyway we're discussing the where with alls of this kind of idea whoever was in charge . I'm not really wanting to get into all the pishy in the know chat/ google trawling  about Mark Campbell. 

41 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I`m almost certain I read an article a few years back saying that they had the money laid aside to renew the pitch when the time came. However as you say, that` will most likely have been frittered away over the past two seasons of calamities.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You would need to ask John Park himself why he's getting involved and were he would be looking for players. Certainly the plan would only work if we got out of league one anyway. You're not going to get it working in the seaside leagues.  Anyway we're discussing the where with alls of this kind of idea whoever was in charge . I'm not really wanting to get into all the pishy in the know chat/ google trawling  about Mark Campbell. 

It won't work in the Championship either. JP was riding the MC train , assured of the Sunderland gig - now that's gone he's left with Falkirk. I actually think he will work well with the new academy if it ever happens.   

And you're wise not to get involved , let's just let Mark get on with it. 

If any of you fancy an early go with Falkirk in League One, on FM, then I've made an updated database.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1839962895
Let me know if anythings wrong with it pls.

Few wee changes Brett Young, Kyle Mitchell and Cieran Dunne are all gone.

Not so much you but few positional issues and Gary Millers wages of £1200 per week is mental. Finding it difficult to punt him.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Few wee changes Brett Young, Kyle Mitchell and Cieran Dunne are all gone.

Not so much you but few positional issues and Gary Millers wages of £1200 per week is mental. Finding it difficult to punt him.

I resolve those three tonight.

And aye, wasnt sure about players wages so just left the majority of them, what bracket of earner do you think Miller will be? I'll change his to be in line with your squad.