The Falkirk FC Thread

I used to get the Edinburgh bus home after a game in the 70's and often Wilson Hoggan was on the same bus.  I was too shy to ever say hello.   Times have changed since then, not many players getting the bus home after a game.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I remember standing on the terrace at that game and shouting 'awe naw, we've nae chance noo' when we brought Tommy Traynor on at 6-0 down!

73-80 was the most miserable time I can remember as a fan. Made all the worse by the Willie Cunningham era being so fresh in peoples mind. Not helped later on when it became obvious if Willie Cunningham had been made director of football and Alex Ferguson his assistant made manager. What we could have kicked onto. Can you imagine what Fergie's coaching and man management could have done with the likes of Wheatley , Fowler , Somner , McLeod and Harley.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! what if ? what if ?

96-95 - 120 Appearances

Funny you should mention Tom McLeod, @HopeStreetWalker because here he is. A midfielder? Funnily enough he popped up on a FB page I was on the other day so he's still on the go!

Tom McLeod: 1971 to 1976, 8 goals.

He shares the spot with the man who gave me my best moment at a football match, and it's frankly never been the same since that day. I mind when he made his debut we thought he'd left his coat-hanger in his strip but he soon became a Bairns hero.

Peter Grant: centre half/warrior poet, 2014-2018. 9 goals.

11 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Even now I still can't believe we didn't go on and win that, only one team in the game, I thought if we equalise we win even if it took extra time, they were dead on their feet 😥 . Peter Grant one of those players if he'd avoided injury would've played at a far higher level.

JUST FUCKING BRING HIM DOON CRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

96-95 - 120 Appearances

Funny you should mention Tom McLeod, @HopeStreetWalker because here he is. A midfielder? Funnily enough he popped up on a FB page I was on the other day so he's still on the go!

Tom McLeod: 1971 to 1976, 8 goals.

He shares the spot with the man who gave me my best moment at a football match, and it's frankly never been the same since that day. I mind when he made his debut we thought he'd left his coat-hanger in his strip but he soon became a Bairns hero.

Peter Grant: centre half/warrior poet, 2014-2018. 9 goals.

Remember Tom McLeod's debute when we put the whinging cheats 11 out the cup at Brockville. Textbook Aberdeen, negative, offside trap, claiming for everything. Little wonder they are despised by everybody to this day.

3 -1 to the bairns and a great display. Anybody else remember it ?

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Remember Tom McLeod's debute when we put the whinging cheats 11 out the cup at Brockville. Textbook Aberdeen, negative, offside trap, claiming for everything. Little wonder they are despised by everybody to this day.

His debut was indeed against Aberdeen, but it was in a drab 1-0 end of season league win in April 1971.

He didn't play in the 3-1 LC win in September 1971.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I remember the 3-1 game in the Cup. One of the best nights ever. Seem to remember after Aberdeen went 1-0 up they were playing for offside everytime we crossed the halfway line. Geordie Miller kicked the ball high in the air, ran right through them and got onto the ball as it came down, if I remember correctly wee Tiger went with him and forced the ball over the line. A quick double from Fergie finished them off.

45 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Anyone recall a game against Aberdeen when one of their supporters ran on the pitch at Brockville and tried to take a swing at Davie Weir ?

Was that in 1995 when they won at Brockville to stay up? Knts.

48 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Is an age thing but I always remember the 3-3 draw with Aberdeen when they equalised around 10 minutes into injury time, the ref was going to play until they scored that day.

Remember it well. Absolutely robbed by a referee who was never going to let them lose. Joke penalty in 94th minute.

13 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

I remember the 3-1 game in the Cup. One of the best nights ever. Seem to remember after Aberdeen went 1-0 up they were playing for offside everytime we crossed the halfway line. Geordie Miller kicked the ball high in the air, ran right through them and got onto the ball as it came down, if I remember correctly wee Tiger went with him and forced the ball over the line. A quick double from Fergie finished them off.

The goal you recall was from the kickoff after half time. Aberdeen were playing the high line offside trap and Fergie knocked the ball back to Miller who was in the penalty box. Aberdeen rushed to the half way line but Falkirk did not bite and stayed in their own half. Markie took of full pelt with McLaughlin behind him. Miller chipped with that magic left foot a paced over the top pass with backspin. Markie was about 4-5 yards clear when the ball dropped dead in front of him. Whole outfield 10 were on the halfway line with their arms up. As Markie was in line when Miller kicked the ball he was so well onside the ref had no choice but to grudgingly  wave play on. Markie shot Clark parries and Tiger scored.

Aberdeen collapsed, they could no longer trust the offside trap and did not have a clue what to do. Watching these cynical cheats loosing the plot was brilliant. Harper near throwing tantrums up front. Young and Buchan all over the place. With Hermiston running about like a headless chicken. Reverting to type they moaned at the referee for everything ( that has not changed ) Turnbull was purple with rage on the sideline. Cunningham had outthought him tactically and he knew it.

Remember the papers the next day headlining ' The team everybody is talking about ' Oh the days of the Cunningham era were something to savour. 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Amazing day great post bud. 

12 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Remember it well. Absolutely robbed by a referee who was never going to let them lose. Joke penalty in 94th minute.

8th October 1986. The most disgraceful display by individuals I have ever seen on a pitch. They were not footballers they were cheats.

Everything nasty about the game they had in abundance - spitting - punching/kicking off the ball - simulating injury - diving - claiming for everything - pressurising referee in groups that switched round every 10 minutes. Not off the cuff stuff it was too co ordinated and could only have come from the training ground.

It was the nearest I have ever seen Brockville having a riot.

Did not like that mob anyway but after that game I made a solemn oath to myself. That I would loath and despise that football club with all my passion for the rest of my life. It is with great pride that I abide by it to this day.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

His debut was indeed against Aberdeen, but it was in a drab 1-0 end of season league win in April 1971.

He didn't play in the 3-1 LC win in September 1971.

You could be right ! Was it maybe his debut when we cuffed Hibs when Cunningham turned down the Scotland job ? Another great midweek game.

12 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Even now I still can't believe we didn't go on and win that, only one team in the game, I thought if we equalise we win even if it took extra time, they were dead on their feet 😥 . Peter Grant one of those players if he'd avoided injury would've played at a far higher level.

Aye, Houstie was a hero of mine but I still blame him for Grant's demise because he played him at Ibrox when clearly struggling after being injured the previous week v Livi. He was out for a while after that.

Would love to be proved wrong though.