The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

So nothing positive since 2009? 2 Scottish cup finals and competing equally with 2 of the best teams in the country in rangers and hibs. I won't disagree if you say nothing positive since housties last season.

Virtually nothing =/= nothing.

Neither Hibs nor Rangers were two of the best teams in the country at that time.

54 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Okay there’s maybe some merits to the tweet re marketing but just the wording makes me fear we have no plan here. “The very best players” 😂😂 even anyone up to a level of “good”, never mind “very best” is already at a club...they’re not swanning around doing nothing waiting to be picked up by basket case Falkirk 

Are you expecting him to ask for "anyone who's shit and been dumped by other clubs?"

What a strange bunch of fans. It's fairly common for coaches etc., to use social media to recruit youth players.

Guest Peter LaFleur

What’s the rush with the Crunchie initiative? I know very little about it as a project as I’m not on social media but surely a better time to kick this off would be when fans are back inside the stadium? Selling lots of memorabilia at games to raise money then have a fans event for the official renaming? Great initiative btw, I just don’t understand the timing of it. 

I reckon we should be looking for young players through every possible avenue. If one of those is Twitter then why not? If just one person out of the hundreds that turn up is a gem then it makes the whole thing worthwhile. As has been said we're starting from scratch here and we have a lot of bridges to build  with the local community  after the academy debacle.  I'm sure once the close season hits there will be a lot of youngsters on the soccer scrapheap that can be looked at but no.point in sitting doing nothing till then.

6 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

What’s the rush with the Crunchie initiative? I know very little about it as a project as I’m not on social media but surely a better time to kick this off would be when fans are back inside the stadium? Selling lots of memorabilia at games to raise money then have a fans event for the official renaming? Great initiative btw, I just don’t understand the timing of it. 

It's be on the go for ages now. Most of the  cash required has been raised as far as I know  and plans created for the branding.   I would've thought you would want to get it done when the place is empty so it's ready for the return of fans would you not but to take it in from here they need a firm commitment from the numpties on the bod.

That statement is typical of the bod.  It's obvious they are trying to take over the project  instead of just letting the guys get on with it.  'WE will be working with the crunchie initiative to keep fans updated on how plans are developing over the summer' I'm sure they are quite able to do that themselves to be honest.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you expecting him to ask for "anyone who's shit and been dumped by other clubs?"

What a strange bunch of fans. It's fairly common for coaches etc., to use social media to recruit youth players.

He’s not just some coach though I don’t think - he’s our main head coach of the youth team (not yet created) and recruiter. I presumed him and holt had been working in the background for months drawing up shortlists, making plans, identifying teams/regions etc. When I saw this I thought wow is he just starting all that now with a tweet “if you’re a great player contact us”? I’m probably being harsh. But can you blame our fan base for the skepticism given the current state of us? Come on. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No-one's got a problem with using social media to recruit players. Sticking a Tweet out (with the wrong years) asking for "the very best" players looks amateurish.

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

He’s not just some coach though I don’t think - he’s our main head coach of the youth team (not yet created) and recruiter. I presumed him and holt had been working in the background for months drawing up shortlists, making plans, identifying teams/regions etc. When I saw this I thought wow is he just starting all that now with a tweet “if you’re a great player contact us”? I’m probably being harsh. But can you blame our fan base for the skepticism given the current state of us? Come on. 

They'll use more than one method. He'll be contacting clubs, agencies etc., but there will be players who left clubs at the start of Covid and nobody will have any idea whether they want to return to the game or move on. This is a way of catching those people and bringing them in for a trial.

It's more bizarre folk to be raging about it than anything tbh.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They'll use more than one method. He'll be contacting clubs, agencies etc., but there will be players who left clubs at the start of Covid and nobody will have any idea whether they want to return to the game or move on. This is a way of catching those people and bringing them in for a trial.

It's more bizarre folk to be raging about it than anything tbh.

Okay, you know best what he’s been up to at Falkirk FC for the last 4 months. I bow to your knowledge and judgement. Looking forward to the roaring success of our recruitment 

Guest Peter LaFleur
26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's be on the go for ages now. Most of the  cash required has been raised as far as I know  and plans created for the branding.   I would've thought you would want to get it done when the place is empty so it's ready for the return of fans would you not but to take it in from here they need a firm commitment from the numpties on the bod.

That statement is typical of the bod.  It's obvious they are trying to take over the project  instead of just letting the guys get on with it.  'WE will be working with the crunchie initiative to keep fans updated on how plans are developing over the summer' I'm sure they are quite able to do that themselves to be honest.

I see, I wasn’t even aware tbh. I was more thinking it would be good to have some sort of build up in the ground on the lead up to a fan event for the unveiling date. Surely a 2 week period between home games would be enough to get the stadium ready for what they’re planning. Crunchie was my first love in the navy blue so definitely approve of the player selection! With the chaos happening at the club just now I’d probably prefer this to be happening at a happier time, in behind the goals with a cold pint in hand! 

I do agree with your general sentiments regarding the board. Nothing is ever straightforward.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Okay, you know best what he’s been up to at Falkirk FC for the last 4 months. I bow to your knowledge and judgement. Looking forward to the roaring success of our recruitment 

*shrugs*

It's fairly standard practice for start ups etc., and I know St Johnstone regularly advertise for kids to attend trials over the Summer.

No doubt you're one of these "there's a poison at this club!" types, who simultaneously goes and rips into literally everyone and everything at the club.

2015/16 scottish cup final was hibs v rangers. Any idea how these 2 teams have done since? But we were playing nobody back then apparently, utter rubbish on here to pretend it's been all downhill since Eddie May! At any other time we would've walked the championship by 20 points, our team with Valks and the rest was as good as almost any falkirk side in the last 50 years.

Anyway roll on Thursday :thumsup2

10 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

2015/16 scottish cup final was hibs v rangers. Any idea how these 2 teams have done since? But we were playing nobody back then apparently, utter rubbish on here to pretend it's been all downhill since Eddie May! At any other time we would've walked the championship by 20 points, our team with Valks and the rest was as good as almost any falkirk side in the last 50 years.

Anyway roll on Thursday :thumsup2

Very positive post mate. Totally agree that some of the good times we had under Houstie are forgotten about due to the malaise that onset during his last season until now.