The Falkirk FC Thread

He did, aye.

Mind their keeper getting pelters when he was at the other end.

There was a photo going about with the goalie on the deck, and Higginbotham turning away happily after scoring, but unfortunately it got ruled out for offside. I got my mug in the photo among the celebrating fans which was a nice memento of a smashing away day.

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

In our current circumstances the ideal would be to have a Manager who is capable of operating without a DoF ie is experienced and capable of identifying players and conducting the negotiations.

In terms of setting up a structure your scenario would mean we re-start from close to 0 as soon as the manager leaves. The DOF should be tasked with preventing the complete 180 we have performed from manager to manager, changing out entire squads at a time. Someone implementing a long term philosophy and at least forcing a manager to sign players within that framework could do us a world of good.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

In terms of setting up a structure your scenario would mean we re-start from close to 0 as soon as the manager leaves. The DOF should be tasked with preventing the complete 180 we have performed from manager to manager, changing out entire squads at a time. Someone implementing a long term philosophy and at least forcing a manager to sign players within that framework could do us a world of good.

We would not start from zero if the CEO is doing his job properly.

31 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He did, aye.

Mind their keeper getting pelters when he was at the other end.

There was a photo going about with the goalie on the deck, and Higginbotham turning away happily after scoring, but unfortunately it got ruled out for offside. I got my mug in the photo among the celebrating fans which was a nice memento of a smashing away day.

Wouldn`t be this one was it??

KHigginbothamvAnnan.jpg

10 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

After games I go off on a rant about the management team and by midweek I have calmed down a wee bit and see things more reasonably. I think apart from possibly ATS what Rennie has brought in during January does appear to be a better calibre from previous transfer windows and with that in mind I’m swayed to give him the summer if that’s what the board decide.

On the other hand as Bainsford Bairn posted recently we could still have 13 players in our squad from next season from the Holt/Sheerin debacle. Rennie and Miller have shown they can’t improve them so I’m not sure a summer window would matter if they don’t have the funds to punt a large number of these players.

I would be looking to offload McKay, Ompreon, Wilson, Miller, Dixon, Holt, Ross. I would also offload either Mutch or Martin and bring in a new No.1 with the remaining of that pair being back up keeper and I would only keep 2 of Telfer, Nisbett, McGuffie and Morrison as they are too alike for a squad our size. 

Thats the perfect scenario and in an ideal world the new players coming in would be a better quality and have more fight and a stronger spine about them. I would not be against a hybrid model being used to achieve this. We all however know that things never materialise like that for us.

Pretty much agree. If we are lumbered with the majority of players then next season won't  be any better. Rennie can't get a tune out them currently he won't next season either. IF he's still here, he's done nothing to merit a new contract imo. 

Just received Nigel’s monthly press release. It’s certainly consistent and suggests the club has a fair bit of ongoing debt and the budget will be reduced for next season.

Can the new clubs BOD now drop the consistent how much is wrong with the club, we get it and don’t need a reminder every month, and especially the fitness part. FFS how long is it going to take to get players fit ?

We’ve seen PT teams that look far fitter than ours, surely we can get this right over a couple of weeks ?

On 08/03/2022 at 16:53, Springfield said:

Don’t take too much notice of other leagues, but if things don’t improve quickly for Yogis lot, its see you soon.

At least four games to get half excited about…….

Oh aye, I'm about 80% certain we'll be in League One next season. The nightmare scenario is you make the play-offs and beat us in the semi-final (which I know you guys will say won't happen). I'd maybe agree that it would mean some half interesting games but I don't think any Pars fan fancies a third tier battle with Falkirk and Kelty Hearts next season as the potential for some epic banter years style disasters is far too high.

10 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Oh aye, I'm about 80% certain we'll be in League One next season. The nightmare scenario is you make the play-offs and beat us in the semi-final (which I know you guys will say won't happen). I'd maybe agree that it would mean some half interesting games but I don't think any Pars fan fancies a third tier battle with Falkirk and Kelty Hearts next season as the potential for some epic banter years style disasters is far too high.

Don’t lose any sleep we’ve been absolutely shite and the play off spot, yes we can mathematically still make it…….

Trying to make some sense of Rennie’s achievements, and it does indeed look as though his improvements happen in his first season before a tail off in the second season.

His achievement with the Whitecaps was to get them to their post season, but not to the play offs. The first three in the league proceed to the play offs proper, fourth and fifth play a knock out game to see who gets to the play offs proper.  So he got Whitecaps to the knock out game where they were beaten, so they didn’t actually make it to the play offs. They came fifth in a nine team league. The following year they regressed to seventh, and he was fired.

I don’t see anything that points to someone coming in mid season and turning things around, so FFC might be his first go at something like this.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Just received Nigel’s monthly press release. It’s certainly consistent and suggests the club has a fair bit of ongoing debt and the budget will be reduced for next season.

Can the new clubs BOD now drop the consistent how much is wrong with the club, we get it and don’t need a reminder every month, and especially the fitness part. FFS how long is it going to take to get players fit ?

We’ve seen PT teams that look far fitter than ours, surely we can get this right over a couple of weeks ?

It does beg the question of what the £718k that was in the bank at the time of the last accounts has been spent on as it can’t all have gone on paying off managers.

It also makes it even more crazy that Griffiths was signed when a) we seemingly have no money and b) it would’ve taken a miracle for even a fully fit Griffiths to get us to the playoffs given the other deficiencies in the squad.

It’s a total mystery to me how the bod can have looked at those circumstances and thought ‘that’s £1500 a week well spent’.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

Remember the meeting that was supposed to be held in a room in the Main Stand, but so many turned up, it had to be held in the stand itself with Martin Ritchie and the tent salesman trying to let us know how bad it was?
I think that’s the sort of ground we are occupying once again.

As to “where did the money go”, there will be ill defined stuff like “LMs (or was it AT or both?) facilitation of a settlement fee with Morton”. It’s deals like that which would have seen the money disappear chunk by chunk with little or no explanation.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

17 hours ago, TedCrilly said:

Would Rennie be better suited as a DoF type figure? His recruitment and knowledge of building an infrastructure seems pretty impressive.

Maybe that was the plan all along. With Miller stepping up as manager and Rennie going upstairs.

That would be assuming it all went well in those preceding 6 months   

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Remember the meeting that was supposed to be held in a room in the Main Stand, but so many turned up, it had to be held in the stand itself with Martin Ritchie and the tent salesman trying to let us know how bad it was?
I think that’s the sort of ground we are occupying once again.

As to “where did the money go”, there will be ill defined stuff like “LMs (or was it AT or both?) facilitation of a settlement fee with Morton”. It’s deals like that which would have seen the money disappear chunk by chunk with little or no explanation.

Never quite understood the finances for the last few years, third tier of Scottish football, no meaningful cup runs, no player sales, increased management (DOF) management pay offs, player pay offs, Covid and the 700K.

Always had more than a suspicion the club was needing an urgent injection of cash (hence the Rawlings investment)however reading between the lines, looks like we’re in a right financial mess.

Griffiths is (was) appears to be the last throw of the dice and simply a gamble which has backfired so far, which is further hurting the club financially. What a bloody mess.

9 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Ahh the McCracken handball lol

Wonderful stuff, although my favourite game that season was the 2-2 game at Easter road when we were 2-0 with 10 men with 10 minutes to go.    That team was brilliant overall and had everything. Not all superstars by any means but guys like McCracken, Taiwo and McHugh made that team. A tragedy they didn’t get more from the season. 

Edited by Just a bairn

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Never quite understood the finances for the last few years, third tier of Scottish football, no meaningful cup runs, no player sales, increased management (DOF) management pay offs, player pay offs, Covid and the 700K.

Always had more than a suspicion the club was needing an urgent injection of cash (hence the Rawlings investment)however reading between the lines, looks like we’re in a right financial mess.

Griffiths is (was) appears to be the last throw of the dice and simply a gamble which has backfired so far, which is further hurting the club financially. What a bloody mess.

I would wager we hardly spent a penny in January outside Griffiths with Rennie getting some out the door as well as others in. Why don’t you go the the FSS meeting or one of the pub meetings. It may fill your knowledge gap?