The Falkirk FC Thread

21 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Bearing in mind that he's building a squad, not just a first 11, I don't see anything wrong with any of them. Would I rather we had better? Of course I would, but in the 3rd tier of Scottish football? Gie's a break man.

So what you're saying is it's OK for McGlynn to give out two year deals but it's not OK for Gary Holt to have done the same?  Gies a break with your hypocrisy.

13 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think we can all agree Holt’s disastrous signings have been a massive hindrance. However, Mcglynn has been backed to bring in 12 signings, you also have McCann, Morrison plus Nesbitt (who he has voluntarily played every week). So, for me, you can’t just absolve him of all responsibility and blame Gary Holt.

If the board’s view is that this season is effectively a write off due to Holt’s signings, then I’m struggling to see: 1. What the point of the 12 signings is meant to be, 2. Why additional funds were provided and 3. Why very little attempt seems to have been made to shift any of them.

Not to be entirely cynical, but if you are gifted 13 players that take 60% of your playing budget (or an average of 4.6% each) and allowed to bring in 12 that take 40% of the playing budget (or an average of 3.3% each), I don’t understand how you expect massive results from more than a few of them. Under those conditions, I’d expect the manager to focus on 2 or 3 “make a difference” players who would get 4-5-6%+ each…but even one of those would likely fail…and the remaining 9 or 10 would be “reaches”, getting 2-3% each, in the hopes of getting 3 or 4 “hits”.

That results in a team that can potentially succeed, if the right players are healthy AND if some of the reaches pan out. If they don’t, the second window become the critical one, where the manager has to be able to bring in a couple of difference makers, and pretty much needs to get that right. The problem there is the need for funding, which is an issue for FFC right now.

As it is, JMcG is had to root through the discount bin and try to piece something together in a League that has had two teams drop down from the Championship and two teams muscle their way up from League Two. Comparing this season to last ignores the 40% turnover and an overall strengthening of the League. Complaining about 8 wins, which is tied third best in the league, without noting the 4 losses, second best in the league, and 5 draws, also tied second best in the league, is also shortsighted.

JMcG’s Raith teams were all built around a couple of experienced defenders and a couple of bulldog midfielders (preferably one being a skillfully passing DM, so it’s no surprise he’s still trying to use the formula. Playing out from the back can be infuriating sometimes in League One, but it can and has worked. I’d assume that his prime target(s) for the January window will be whatever is missing on the team from two experienced defenders and a favorite pair of mids.

Guest Back Post Misses
12 hours ago, RC_Bairn said:

This.  Time we started questioning the 'agenda' of those posters who won't utter a single word of criticism in order to keep their mates on the board in a position of power.

Me or anyone else posting on a social media site and being supportive of the Board is hardly going to “keep people in power” FFS. 

This is the supporters Board. Elected by 25/26 Patrons and 600 odd FSS members

If you don’t like the way the club is being run join either organisation (if you have not already) and start questioning the people running the club and campaign openly against them and stand to have them removed when the next elections are. If you don’t want to join either organisation but want change go seek investment and remove the supporters from power. 

Don’t hide behind a user name on a forum. Bring what you have to the party. 

Guest Back Post Misses
14 hours ago, AGPar said:

Why? Why does someone making what seem fairly reasoned comments - whether you happen to agree with them or not -  about the performance of the manager to date mean they must have an axe to grind? Or "an agenda"? Or any of the other accusations that are routinely thrown in the direction of anyone who is not relentlessly pro-club/manager/board in every post they make on here. Bizarre.

People are entitled to criticise the manager if they want. The counter argument most see is that he was handed a difficult task and that 4 months was not going to sort things out properly. 

He has made some selection mistakes, no one can deny that. IMO however we are in much better shape than when he took over. 

Holy f**k.... I get Mackie maybe.... But we shouldn't have gave Yeats and Henderson 2 year deals? Henderson was a starter for a team that very nearly won the Championship last season. Not one person said anything other than he was a very good signing. 

Yeats is a versatile kid who has been very good so far. He's as close as there is in our squad to someone who might become a saleable asset, and when most of us seen him, we were all delighted at having unearthed someone like him. 

Some absolutely belting hindsight getting deployed there. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Holy f**k.... I get Mackie maybe.... But we shouldn't have gave Yeats and Henderson 2 year deals? Henderson was a starter for a team that very nearly won the Championship last season. Not one person said anything other than he was a very good signing. 

Yeats is a versatile kid who has been very good so far. He's as close as there is in our squad to someone who might become a saleable asset, and when most of us seen him, we were all delighted at having unearthed someone like him. 

Yeats needs to be in the team imo. Don’t have the stats but bet our win record with him starting games is far better than without 

Just now, bairn88 said:

Yeats needs to be in the team imo. Don’t have the stats but bet our win record with him starting games is far better than without 

This is what I was saying the other day. Our drop off in form and results, to my mind, sort of ties in with him dropping out. 

He wasn't always in midfield obviously, so I'm not sure McGinns form can be attributed also here, but it must be contributory. I want Yeats and Lawal in the team, I also think its time Alegria got the starting slot again to see if he can grab it. 

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The post that you are responding to is just nonsense, typical of the clueless whining fools who wouldn’t know a football if it hit them in the face.

It should also be remembered that Mackie was signed as a left back.

Hardly his fault that most of his appearances have been at centre back due to the huge resurgence in form from McCann.

16 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think if we missed out on the playoffs then serious questions would have to be asked but I'm still confident that we will make the playoffs comfortably and then Who knows. The main thing if we don't go up is that we have something to build on for next season and are heading in the right direction.

This is far too sensible for some to comprehend on here. 

Comparing a Jamie Wilson or seb ross 2 year deal with a Henderson or yeats 2 year deal, f**k me. 

4 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

This is far too sensible for some to comprehend on here. 

Comparing a Jamie Wilson or seb ross 2 year deal with a Henderson or yeats 2 year deal, f**k me. 

Looking forward to some "we should never have signed McGinn/Donaldson" content after one of them makes a mistake

I think it's clear McGlynn has steadied the ship and possibly the best we could get unless we unearthed a budding Pep (very, very unlikely). After the shambles of previous managers, he was as good an appointment as we could expect.

As DF stated, he is at best a L1 manager. I'm not convinced he would get us to the Premiership, but at the moment the priority is that we need to get out of L1. McGlynn has the capability of doing that.  

With respect to signings, I would say his have been way and above anything that we have seen for the last few seasons. We may not be setting the heather on fire, but there is now an optimism when we go to games that we will at least compete. I couldn't have said that over the last few years. 

Bottom line is that we know what we are going to get with McGlynn. My main worry is that whoever comes in next might be another Sheerin. 

I'm catching up with this morning's postings on here, and the overwhelming feeling is one of despair.

Not at FFC's squad or performances, but at the absolute twisted nature of some of our fans. It's completely depressing. You have the team you deserve. People used to slag off OneF as a negative environment, but my God, it is 50 times worse in here these days. And not even in a logical, constructive way. Just constant clueless bullshit.

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm catching up with this morning's postings on here, and the overwhelming feeling is one of despair.

Not at FFC's squad or performances, but at the absolute twisted nature of some of our fans. It's completely depressing. You have the team you deserve. People used to slag off OneF as a negative environment, but my God, it is 50 times worse in here these days. And not even in a logical, constructive way. Just constant clueless bullshit.

It was the same when the new strip manufacturers were revealed, folk just moaning for the sake of it. It’s the Falkirk way, first response moan like f**k.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

10 hours ago, RC_Bairn said:

So what you're saying is it's OK for McGlynn to give out two year deals but it's not OK for Gary Holt to have done the same?  Gies a break with your hypocrisy.

Don't talk such utter shite!

Holt gave two and three year deals to some folk who were substandard and that would seriously affect our ability to get out of this league. Most of them would have accepted a one season deal just to get a gig FFS. None of us would have had any problem with Holt handing out two year deals if they were to players that could actually benefit us. Mackie, Henderson and Yeats are as good as we could have got at this level and have shown this on the pitch this season.

Try a wee bit of positivity from time to time.

Merry Christmas BTW.

Yeats will be on peanuts compared to some of the dross on Holt's contracts. He's a young player playing his first ever season of football at this level and has done pretty well considering majority of his games have been at right back. My one criticism would be mcglynns idea of playing him in a more forward midfield role as he's better suited in a more defensive role for me.  

It certainly takes more than 4 months to build a side. I don't think mcglynn turned Raith into league one 'winners' in one season either of the times he got them promoted. We still look 3 players short to me. A rock in the middle a decent right back and a finisher. We have a lot of decent players up front but noone you'd bank on for 20 goals at this level. If we had McManus this season we'd win the league at a canter for example.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yeats will be on peanuts compared to some of the dross on Holt's contracts. He's a young player playing his first ever season of football at this level and has done pretty well considering majority of his games have been at right back. My one criticism would be mcglynns idea of playing him in a more forward midfield role as he's better suited in a more defensive role for me.  

It certainly takes more than 4 months to build a side. I don't think mcglynn turned Raith into league one 'winners' in one season either of the times he got them promoted. We still look 3 players short to me. A rock in the middle a decent right back and a finisher. We have a lot of decent players up front but noone you'd bank on for 20 goals at this level. If we had McManus this season we'd win the league at a canter for example.

I think both strikers would have more goals if we played 2 up front.  Burrell in particular.  

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I agree with the rest of the post but not this.

I left OneF when it was riddled with folk complaining about the number of Muslims pushing prams in the town, and claiming every shop had beggars in the doorway. It went to a very weird, dark place. There was even a user calling himself the "Turbanator"

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Don't talk such utter shite!

Holt gave two and three year deals to some folk who were substandard and that would seriously affect our ability to get out of this league. Most of them would have accepted a one season deal just to get a gig FFS. None of us would have had any problem with Holt handing out two year deals if they were to players that could actually benefit us. Mackie, Henderson and Yeats are as good as we could have got at this level and have shown this on the pitch this season.

Try a wee bit of positivity from time to time.

Merry Christmas BTW.

And who are those guys exactly?  McCann who has arguably been one of our best players? or McKay and Nesbitt who are keeping JM signings out of the team? Hetherington I'll give you is a waste of a jersey but there's an argument that McGuffie is a decent enough squad player.

Or are you talking about Ross, Wilson, Holt Jr who are/were likely earning buttons with us.

Try a wee bit of reality from time to time.

8 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

And who are those guys exactly?  McCann who has arguably been one of our best players? or McKay and Nesbitt who are keeping JM signings out of the team? Hetherington I'll give you is a waste of a jersey but there's an argument that McGuffie is a decent enough squad player.

Or are you talking about Ross, Wilson, Holt Jr who are/were likely earning buttons with us.

Try a wee bit of reality from time to time.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I think both strikers would have more goals if we played 2 up front.  Burrell in particular.  

Maybe but I don't feel finishing is eithers strongest point.  Creating chances of in games hasn't been out biggest issue in the main it's often been sticking them away.

Edited by Shodwall cat