The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Brockvillenomore
14 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

It’s probably pretty clear to most which two you are referring to however I’m happy to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment and just presume they have overtly cynical personalities or maybe have more of the pessimist about them than some but reading through a lot of the stuff they have posted it is consistently one track so I really cant blame you or others for drawing those conclusions. If your suspicions are correct then yes, it is indeed pretty sad. 

I agree with all this, but FWIW I think there at least three regular posters that fall into that category.....

21 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Christ, lecturing me on reality?! :rolleyes:

McCann is the ONLY one of his signings that he got right and has given us value for money.

McKay, Williamson, Hetherington, Ross, Wilson and McGuffie have all been various shades of shite. Nesbitt turns up sometimes and is the only other Holt signing that should be considered for a first team slot, however we've got to suffer them all until at least the end of the season and beyond in McKay's case. I don't think any of them will be offered a new deal other than possibly Nesbitt, depending on his form from here on in and, believe it or not, possibly Hetherington who McGlynn uses in a very specific way as a substitute.

The McKay and Nesbitt keeping McGlynn signings out of the team bit doesn't really stack up. Presumably you're talking about Yeats and Lawal being the signings that aren't getting a game? McKay is playing full back in front of Yeats because Yeats isn't a full back and I think he favours experience in the position. He also likes height in the team and sees McKay as a goal threat at set pieces (which he is). Nesbitt in front of Lawal I'll give you however, it was suggested to me that Lawal wasn't doing the defensive bit of the game and needed a bit more coaching in that regard. He's also prone to picking up a booking or two with some rash challenges but he's young and raw and I think McGlynn will improve his game in both regards. He'll certainly be in front of Nesbitt in time IMO.

I wouldn't be offering any of Holt's remnants new deals bar maybe trying to get McCann to sign an extension.  Clear the decks time again and let McGlynn bring his own players in.

Thing is, McCann is probably the one player who was signed with the backing of the fan base. 
He was identified as a player we should have been trying to sign long before Holt signed him.

I really can’t think of any of his other signings being met with anything other than “aye, ok I suppose” or “wtf is going on”, with Holt justifying McKay’s 3 year deal as being “what we had to offer to get a player of his calibre to sign”.

Holt led a pretty charmed life as a  coach/manager, and definitely had the knack of jumping ship before he was pushed. Sadly, FFC were the club where he eventually ran out of road, and it was FFC that paid the biggest price for entertaining him for the second time.

50 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I wouldn't be offering any of Holt's remnants new deals bar maybe trying to get McCann to sign an extension.  Clear the decks time again and let McGlynn bring his own players in.

I don't disagree with the majority going as we'd hopefully still have PJ :unsure2: (not too sure about him TBH), Donaldson, Henderson, Mackie, McCann, McGinn, Yeats, Lawal and Burrell forming the start of the squad. If we could somehow replace the McGuffies and Hetheringtons etc with first picks we'd be in pretty good shape.

I think McCann's an excellent player and I'd be trying to give him an extension right now if we can. I think he's signed to the end of the 2024 season anyway though.

1 hour ago, Brockvillenomore said:

This ⬆️ and the suggestion from @RC_Bairn that a failure to criticise the board on P&B keeps them in power is the best entertainment I've seen here for ages. 

Incredible that these moonhowlers think that anyone actually gives a stuff about rants (even mine) posted on a wee football forum used by a tiny proportion of the fan base.

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thing is, McCann is probably the one player who was signed with the backing of the fan base. 
He was identified as a player we should have been trying to sign long before Holt signed him.

I really can’t think of any of his other signings being met with anything other than “aye, ok I suppose” or “wtf is going on”, with Holt justifying McKay’s 3 year deal as being “what we had to offer to get a player of his calibre to sign”.

Holt led a pretty charmed life as a  coach/manager, and definitely had the knack of jumping ship before he was pushed. Sadly, FFC were the club where he eventually ran out of road, and it was FFC that paid the biggest price for entertaining him for the second time.

What needs to be remembered also, is that although mccann was a good signing on paper at the time, Sheerin somehow managed to knock the stuffing out of him and we weren't seeing the player we thought we had signed, many would have been happy to see him replaced and was hounded on occasion. Not until Mcglynn coming in this season have we seen him hit the form he had us hyped up for from Airdrie. He is like a new signing under McGlynn. 

I must admit I was one who thought we should have got rid of him, but happy to eat humble pie he's like a totally different player. I did think he'd struggle to keep his place after McGlynn signed Mackie to play left back but if anything it's only made McCann better. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't disagree with the majority going as we'd hopefully still have PJ :unsure2: (not too sure about him TBH), Donaldson, Henderson, Mackie, McCann, McGinn, Yeats, Lawal and Burrell forming the start of the squad. If we could somehow replace the McGuffies and Hetheringtons etc with first picks we'd be in pretty good shape.

I think McCann's an excellent player and I'd be trying to give him an extension right now if we can. I think he's signed to the end of the 2024 season anyway though.

Think McGinn doesn't have another season in him but agree with the rest you would keep.

But again the club is dumping another squad and building another and our player churn is one of the reasons we are in the position we are.

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Think McGinn doesn't have another season in him but agree with the rest you would keep.

But again the club is dumping another squad and building another and our player churn is one of the reasons we are in the position we are.

Aye but the point I'm making is that, if we can keep a hold of the players I've mentioned, we won't be dumping a squad and having to rebuild because we'll already have the nucleus. It would be a matter of adding half a squad with the new guys hopefully seen as starters. We'd need to be offering deals to Burrell and Lawal very soon though as I'm sure there would be interest in them from others. 

As was said previously Simon plays up to his persona. I've no doubt that when he's with family there will be a much different side to him. All the great players have that touch of arrogance about them. That swagger and confidence to do what ever they want on a football field. He was always great company when I met him and I'm sure the houstie boys that played with him in the 5 a side tournie only have great things to say about him. I certainly would never have seen him as a p***k that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

What needs to be remembered also, is that although mccann was a good signing on paper at the time, Sheerin somehow managed to knock the stuffing out of him and we weren't seeing the player we thought we had signed, many would have been happy to see him replaced and was hounded on occasion. Not until Mcglynn coming in this season have we seen him hit the form he had us hyped up for from Airdrie. He is like a new signing under McGlynn. 

As much due to Rennie following up Sheerin’s man management blunders by applying a wedge of his own, and rarely playing the guy.

There's still a good few under contract beyond the end of this season, Mackie, Henderson, Donaldson, McCann, Yeats, Morrison, McKay, and I think a few with year options Oliver, PJ,  so the nucleus of a squad is there. You'd assume Hogarth will be away back to Forest in January. I doubt we'll sign anyone in January unless we can shift a few which I don't see happening. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Now,the analogy isn’t a direct one in terms of skill, ability or any other football criteria bar one…………relationship and work rate.

What Vinicius Jr. is to Benzema (the water carrier if you will) is what we need (and may already have) for McGinn in the form of Yeats, but it might be next season before the youngster is fully capable of fulfilling the role.

Benzema is a fabulous player, but it’s Vinicius Jr who has the legs to do much of the donkey work that Benzema did in his younger days. I think McGinn has another L1 (or even Championship) season in him, but not the legs to cover the ground that he used to cover….……that’s where a new(ish) role to do those things for him might be the perfect bit of development for Yeats.

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Now,the analogy isn’t a direct one in terms of skill, ability or any other football criteria bar one…………relationship and work rate.

What Vinicius Jr. is to Benzema (the water carrier if you will) is what we need (and may already have) for McGinn in the form of Yeats, but it might be next season before the youngster is fully capable of fulfilling the role.

Benzema is a fabulous player, but it’s Vinicius Jr who has the legs to do much of the donkey work that Benzema did in his younger days. I think McGinn has another L1 (or even Championship) season in him, but not the legs to cover the ground that he used to cover….……that’s where a new(ish) role to do those things for him might be the perfect bit of development for Yeats.

Get what you are saying legs and mobility beside him will help. But if these players are being deployed to make up for McGinns shortcomings then they in turn are less effective.

It's a difficult call.

Think it will hinge on promotion. If we stay in the division then he could well be kept on. If promoted think he will be let go.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Get what you are saying legs and mobility beside him will help. But if these players are being deployed to make up for McGinns shortcomings then they in turn are less effective.

It's a difficult call.

Think it will hinge on promotion. If we stay in the division then he could well be kept on. If promoted think he will be let go.

A midfield “destroyer “ type (Taiwo) would be an enormous benefit quite apart from enabling McGinn to dictate play.

On 13/12/2022 at 22:42, 60`s bairn said:

KMcA.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

I actually put this forward as a suggestion for a strip to mark the opening of the KM Stand however the strip had been chosen before then. Still think it would make a cracking top and as next year marks the 20th year since leaving Brockville it would be a fitting memento. 

On 15/12/2022 at 22:55, MrDust said:

A good listen, he obviously has no love for Totten and don't think he mentions Crunchie at all, I'm sure he is on record as saying the stand should've been named for him years ago tho.

FB_IMG_1671104514617.jpg

Did speak well of Crunchie when I spoke to him during the campaign. Saying the stand should have been named after him was a bit tongue in cheek. 

13 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I actually put this forward as a suggestion for a strip to mark the opening of the KM Stand however the strip had been chosen before then. Still think it would make a cracking top and as next year marks the 20th year since leaving Brockville it would be a fitting memento. 

The bottom image looks waaaay too much like Kenny Sansom in an Engurland strip for my liking.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The bottom image looks waaaay too much like Kenny Sansom in an Engurland strip for my liking.

Just the home top that I was meaning. A modern version of that would be mint.