The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

You need to adapt over time though to compensate for that and yet Hughes never did. Every season was the same . In our first season in the top flight we won 4 out of 16 between 1st of Jan and the split. Second season up 5 out of 14 one win being Berwick in the cup. Third season up 3 out of 15 which cost us top 6 completely. Even our promotion season we only won 7 games after Christmas having won 22 before that. God knows what would've happened if latapy had got injured early one of those seasons. You can't keep relying so much on one player without having a plan B for when he's not performing.

Having a quick look and Jefferies January onwards stats don’t look much better. At the end of the day both were great managers.

Yogi got us promoted and kept us in the top flight for 4 seasons. Played some great football under him too and had some brilliant players come through. Not much to deride other than the last season but he still kept us up. 

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Latapy was a maverick type though who liked a fag and a beer and probably got away with a lot more than others did at us aslong as he did the business on match day. He was a big fish in a small pond at us, he wouldn't have got it as easy at Rangers or any of the other bigger clubs, probably too regimented for him hence why he maybe didn't do aswell as he should have. 

Latapy is one of the very few players that got you on your feet in anticipation of what they were going to do.

Stainrod and McAllister also had that little bit of WFT is he going to do.

One thing they all had in common their talent was not coached they did their own thing learning their craft the way it used to be done in bounce games with your mates and school football and that's what made them so difficult to play against.

Sadly that individuality is now coached out of youngsters 

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Latapy is one of the very few players that got you on your feet in anticipation of what they were going to do.

Stainrod and McAllister also had that little bit of WFT is he going to do.

One thing they all had in common their talent was not coached they did their own thing learning their craft the way it used to be done in bounce games with your mates and school football and that's what made them so difficult to play against.

Sadly that individuality is now coached out of youngsters 

Nailed it, I’ve watched a couple of Sunday games that are probably U15/16. Apart from some of the abuse coming from parents, soul destroying to hear coaches giving young guys hell for breaching coached training “roles” 

10 hours ago, Springfield said:

Nailed it, I’ve watched a couple of Sunday games that are probably U15/16. Apart from some of the abuse coming from parents, soul destroying to hear coaches giving young guys hell for breaching coached training “roles” 

Seen that as well over the years and it's appalling. The amount of extraordinary talent that was lost to the game will never be known as the child goes F**k it will do something else on a Saturday.

Put it this way would Jim Baxter or Jimmy Johnstone make it now? No chance - no work rate without the ball - can't tackle = no game.

When was the last time you saw 5-10-15 pals with jerseys down on the grass just playing football - you don't.

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Seen that as well over the years and it's appalling. The amount of extraordinary talent that was lost to the game will never be known as the child goes F**k it will do something else on a Saturday.

Put it this way would Jim Baxter or Jimmy Johnstone make it now? No chance - no work rate without the ball - can't tackle = no game.

When was the last time you saw 5-10-15 pals with jerseys down on the grass just playing football - you don't.

It's a fine balance though.

I've watched my son come through the levels at his football for years and for every kid who can dribble, feint and score repeatedly without a thought for a pass or doing the donkey work it has the opposite effect on the players around them.

Why should they run, tackle or find space when that kid isn't going to give you it or track for the good of the team and not just himself 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

It's a fine balance though.

I've watched my son come through the levels at his football for years and for every kid who can dribble, feint and score repeatedly without a thought for a pass or doing the donkey work it has the opposite effect on the players around them.

Why should they run, tackle or find space when that kid isn't going to give you it or track for the good of the team and not just himself 🤷‍♂️

But in the past the teammates were more than happy to carry them because they knew they more than compensated for their lack of work rate team spirit and camaraderie saw to that

As you said its a matter of balance but it's gone too far the other way. Still, hold to my post Johnstone and Baxter would not make it today for the good of Scottish football and the enjoyment of the game that has to be addressed.

15 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Having a quick look and Jefferies January onwards stats don’t look much better. At the end of the day both were great managers.

Yogi got us promoted and kept us in the top flight for 4 seasons. Played some great football under him too and had some brilliant players come through. Not much to deride other than the last season but he still kept us up. 

Under Jeffries we only lost two games from January onwards 90/91 and didn't lose any 93/94.  In every season under Hughes our results  were poor  from January on.

15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

No Coverage - the new guys apparently getting some familiarity with what goes on. 

I could be proven wrong, but I'm not certain this is accurate. If they're going though to get experience then as long as they record what they see then brief highlights may be possible. There's definitely not a live stream though. 

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Hamilton sign Joe McGlynn, were we not rumoured to be  in for him last year?

The rumour was we were signing him on loan in January but he had already been registered with too many clubs so we had to pull out the deal.

Edited by FFC 1876

41 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Their signings haven't been any better than ours IMO

I think it's fairly close, but having watched their playoff games they start from a higher base than us. Plenty of time left yet, with the best loans available often a couple of league games into the season 

17 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I think it's fairly close, but having watched their playoff games they start from a higher base than us. Plenty of time left yet, with the best loans available often a couple of league games into the season 

Wouldn’t like to go into the new season without a RB, unless McGlynn has someone set in stone to come in.