The Falkirk FC Thread

I’m pretty sure ‘free’ loans are a thing of the past now. Even if you get them from the Old Firm/Aberdeen/Hearts.

Every club will be paying a wage percentage for loanees imo. 

Guest Back Post Misses
25 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m keen to get a right back in tbh. I like Yeats but his best position is midfield. I also don’t want to see McKay play there again.

He won’t play then 

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

I suppose we need to remember they tried Leahy at LB and how that turned out so you never know. Yeats at least looks competent at football, Leahy was a horrible midfielder. 

Yeah, that ended up a master stroke by Houstie. If McGlynn thinks Yeats can be converted to a right back we just need to trust him.

Guest Back Post Misses
52 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I suppose we need to remember they tried Leahy at LB and how that turned out so you never know. Yeats at least looks competent at football, Leahy was a horrible midfielder. 

But now captains Shrewsbury playing there

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

There's no way to defend prioritising a 2 year deal for Nesbitt over a right back. 

Also sounds like Spencer, Miller and Lang have been given deals they couldn't refuse. 

Let's hope they're worth it. 

What an odd take. 

Unless you've a crystal ball it's impossible to question the reasoning of re-signing a player the manager rates and who clearly wanted to stay, after the revolving door of years gone by.

We could have let Nesbitt go (or he opted to leave) and still be without a RB of the desired quality - which McGlynn says he has prioritised - and the others gone elsewhere.

You're ignoring the work and effort to possibly persuade those who did sign and the fact they were available. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

There's no way to defend prioritising a 2 year deal for Nesbitt over a right back. 

Also sounds like Spencer, Miller and Lang have been given deals they couldn't refuse. 

Let's hope they're worth it. 

Jesus wept!

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats pretty unlikely in my experience. A loan player is likely cheaper than he would be to sign but not by as much as you're suggesting. They'll be close to a first team wage if they are any good. And the only way you might get one for buttons / free is if you guarantee him starts. 

Well my experience is very different from yours, that’s for sure. For example, we were paying 10% of Stokes salary, and in money terms, we will be offering up less than that now……significantly less.

8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Well my experience is very different from yours, that’s for sure. For example, we were paying 10% of Stokes salary, and in money terms, we will be offering up less than that now……significantly less.

The percentage of his wage is completely irrelevant however. The percentage of your typical first teamer is. Anthony Stokes from Arsenal about 20 years ago is hardly a typical loan example.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But not QoS? We're 12 miles from Annan.

For StuartA’s Hillman Avenger, that 12 miles is probably a 2 hour journey add on, so Dumfries is still a “get home on the same day” journey.

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I believe Kai Kennedy was on 1500 at Rangers. We didn’t pay anywhere like that amount for him. Most loans are close to free at this level as the loaning clubs just want their players involved on a Sat. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

The percentage of his wage is completely irrelevant however. The percentage of your typical first teamer is. Anthony Stokes from Arsenal about 20 years ago is hardly a typical loan example.

He was a loan player though. You cannot set it aside as irrelevant. There are many examples throughout the clubs. Do you think Stirling Albion were paying the majority of a young Jay Rodriguez salary? Not a snowball’s chance in hell.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But not QoS? We're 12 miles from Annan.

Is it not more like 16?

Either way, it won't take any longer to get from Falkirk to Annan, than to Dumfries, because with Annan, you stay on the motorway until you're much closer to your destination.