The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He didn’t snap at me Tbf. We debated, our opinions differed and we had a bit banter.

I don’t know @Back Post Misseshowever we do occasionally interact on other social media platforms and imvho he’s a good guy that loves Falkirk.

We all get a bit carried away on here at times but the one thing we all have in common is a love of Falkirk Football Club.

So, when we are writing that harshly worded response to a fellow Bairn on here, that’s fine, however if any of us think it’s getting rude, abusive or personal then think before hitting submit and I’d suggest just delete it.

As an outsider looking in at your exchange with BPM it came across as if he was talking down to you, if you didn't see it that way then I was obviously wrong.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Now who's being precious? Although I don't think that you will cancel your account, time will tell.

Ok, which of these will happen first…?
1.  Back Post Misses will cancel his Forum Account

2. Nadine Dorries will resign as an MP

3. Christmas 2023

Edited by HonestAl

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

We defo had a blow up around the ayr game but we actually won 3 out of 5 before the playoffs and only 1 loss out of 8..:it wasn’t a capitulation ala M&M. But who cares really - we completely failed thereafter and can see no repeat this year 

A win against a Montrose team that we could've beat with 9 men on the park, a win against Alloa who had play offs in their minds, the other against Montrose who were in no man's land.

We couldn't again beat Edinburgh, Kelty or Clyde and threw away 2 goal leads against Dunfermline and Airdrie.

13pts a quarter ain't good enough for play off place nevermind league title challenges. I struggle to find how you suggest it wasn't a capitulation.

We had enough to seriously challenge for the league last season, I don't buy the McGlynn was hampered by the previous squad, a good or even lucky manager gets the job done.

The same above applies to this season for me, I go into every game thinking we can win(even the 2nd play off game v Airdrie 😶) my glass ain't half full or half empty, it's usually a bottle of beer and I know a full one is waiting.

The buck will fall towards the manager as always for me, every manager since Houston's last season has been backed by whoever the board was to complete the job.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

We couldn't again beat Edinburgh, Kelty or Clyde and threw away 2 goal leads against Dunfermline and Airdrie.

From memory didn't Burrell score to equalise late on v Airdrie to make it 2-2? I don't remember us being 2 up in that game though my memory isn't as good as it was so I'm OK to be told I'm wrong

7 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

From memory didn't Burrell score to equalise late on v Airdrie to make it 2-2? I don't remember us being 2 up in that game though my memory isn't as good as it was so I'm OK to be told I'm wrong

My mistake....led both Airdrie games at home and ended up with 2pts out of 6.

These scenarios and Edinburgh, Kelty and Clyde type results will need improvement this season or it's a play off lottery again.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lottery?

That would imply you were merely out of luck.

A game of chance.... Not if you finish 5th as we both know.

I wouldn't say Airdrie were lucky against us maybe against Hamilton..... definitely not against us

Guest FFC1965

Interesting last few pages

Got my ticket for Spartans and Im looking forward to a wee trip across Edinburgh to see the boys.

The way I see it for a title challenge is that there are three types of team 

1.  Those who we should beat every time (Stirling Annan Kelty & Edinburgh).  OK we will slip up somewhere but the aim should be to take 10 points off each.  This 40 pts would be the bedrock of a title challenge.  Ruthless and relentless winning home and away is required

2.  Teams where we'd take a win at home and a draw away or otherwise 8+points from each across the season (Id say Montrose Alloa & Cove) so thats 24 points

3.  Teams where wed take a home win and away defeat (QOS & HAFC) so that's 6 points from each across the season for a further 12.

If my arithmetic is right that's 76 points (W22 D10 L4).  DAFC got 81 last season.  Anything less than 72 puts it in the lap of the gods  

Sorry if BPM has gone.  Played amateurs with him back in the day and he was a cultured centre back - like a poor man's Stuart Burgess. 🤣

Seriously, imho he's been treated unfairly on here as a bit of an Aunt Sally proxy for the new Board.  

9 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The amount of negativity gets me down tbh. The place is polluted with it. 

I think it’s fairly balanced to be honest. I don’t think many with a critical opinion are being totally unfair.

Don’t think there is much criticism against the board as sure they can understand that backing McGlynn for this season is probably the wisest move given the impact the cost of sacking him would have. I  don’t see the issue with people sharing any reservations they may have though. When people say we all need to pull together then it can’t just be to suit a particular agenda. If we’re a fan owned club then there has to be an understanding that will involve many varied opinions and you can’t just shut down others because it may not be what you want to hear. 

I’d say quite a few posters probably have been overly negative by already writing us off before a ball is kicked, If you scroll back you’ll find plenty comments of that ilk, can see BPM’s point. Comments along the lines off our new signings being no better or worse than the players that left despite us yet to properly see them. Or comments along the lines of the squad being no where near good enough to challenge for the league which is quite obviously not true, even as things stand (and I’d presume they’ll still be one or two players in and out) we are probably favourites to win the league with most, or we certainly won’t be far away from being so which is rightly the expectation however if you read back and look at the tone of many of the posts (not all) you’d think we were mid table to relegation candidates. I’m quietly optimistic about the new season. I like that we’ve added physicality and Lang, Spencer and Aggyman should be excellent signings added to the fact I don’t see any team going on a run like Dunfermline did this season. Only maybe Hamilton on paper have a comparable or better squad but even that is debatable. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d say quite a few posters have indeed already written us off before a ball is kicked, I can see BPM’s point. Comments along the lines off or new signings being no better or worse than the players that left despite us yet to properly see them. Or comments along the lines of the squad being no where near good enough to challenge for the league which is quite obviously not true, even as things stand (and I’d presume they’ll still be one or two players in and out) we are amongst the favourites to win the league which should be the expectation however if you read back and look the tone of many of the posts (not all) you’d think we were mid table to relegation candidates. I’m quietly optimistic about the new season. I like that we’ve added physicality Lang, Spencer and Aggyman should be excellent signings added to the fact I don’t see any team going on a run like Dunfermline did this season. 

I don’t see many writing us off but some valid points regarding some of McGlynns failings. I agree that on the whole the signings have been good and overall an upgrade on those that have left but wouldn’t say on paper it’s as clear cut as others make out. 

If anyone has completely written us off then it’s been very small number of posts on here so wouldn’t say it’s worth getting too bothered about. 

20 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I think it’s fairly balanced to be honest. I don’t think many with a critical opinion are being totally unfair.

Don’t think there is much criticism against the board as sure they can understand that backing McGlynn for this season is probably the wisest move given the impact the cost of sacking him would have. I  don’t see the issue with people sharing any reservations they may have though. When people say we all need to pull together then it can’t just be to suit a particular agenda. If we’re a fan owned club then there has to be an understanding that will involve many varied opinions and you can’t just shut down others because it may not be what you want to hear. 

Have we went full circle?

There was a time the happy clapper fans were pointed at, it now seems to be fans that are the opposite of that mould now.

I don't think anyone has suggested we can't win the league before a ball has been kicked, they have reservations from last season and the recruitment so far.

We will have fans who will get carried away if we look decent tomorrow and again the opposite if we don't. It really isn't nothing new 

41 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Have we went full circle?

There was a time the happy clapper fans were pointed at, it now seems to be fans that are the opposite of that mould now.

I don't think anyone has suggested we can't win the league before a ball has been kicked, they have reservations from last season and the recruitment so far.

We will have fans who will get carried away if we look decent tomorrow and again the opposite if we don't. It really isn't nothing new 

If we manage to win against an established Championship team tomorrow there is every reason to think we will be in the Premiership in two years time with McGlynn the messiah at the helm

Edited by Bigbrbairn

31 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

If we manage to win against an established Championship team tomorrow there is every reason to think we will be in the Premiership in two years time with McGlynn the messiah at the helm

Let's get out of league 1 first with the "messiah" 😂. Arbroath might be an established championship team but apart from the season they nearly went up they are almost always scrapping to stay in the division. I think this season they will go down, Dunfermline and Airdrie are better sides than those they replaced. It would be no shock at all if we beat them nor would it be a shock if they beat us.

Just now, ebobsboy said:

Let's get out of league 1 first with the "messiah" 😂. Arbroath might be an established championship team but apart from the season they nearly went up they are almost always scrapping to stay in the division. I think this season they will go down, Dunfermline and Airdrie are better sides than those they replaced. It would be no shock at all if we beat them nor would it be a shock if they beat us.

Totally agree