The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wonder if Oliver is still.fuming about the cup final goal.... I know I am. 

It’s a pity that this is what he is mostly known for during his time at the club. He did have periods where he didn’t play much but in many ways he was Mr Falkirk of the 90’s, he was there from 91’-99’. No one else came close to this during that time.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

28 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It’s a pity that this is what he is mostly known for during his time at the club. He did have periods where he didn’t play much but in many ways he was Mr Falkirk of the 90’s, he was there from 91’-99’. No one else came close to this during that time.

Apart from my favourite Falkirk player of all time, Scott McKenzie, 1991-2000 and then 2003-2005, over 300 appearances and was one of those unsung heroes that always put a shift in and could be relied upon. His Mum died the week of the 97 cup final and he still played, loved the guy.

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Apart from my favourite Falkirk player of all time, Scott McKenzie, 1991-2000 and then 2003-2005, over 300 appearances and was one of those unsung heroes that always put a shift in and could be relied upon. His Mum died the week of the 97 cup final and he still played, loved the guy.

Yeah, how could I forget this guy. Took him a while to get in the team, a bit longer still to win over the fans then was involved in seasons where we fell foul of decisions which kept us out of the top flight (potentially). A great team player.

42 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

So many great players, so many different styles, so many eras.

But George Miller is my pick for the center half and would be my captain as well.

How did he manage 14 goals in 35 games in season 69/70? Phenomenal for a defender!

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

🚫 No new podcast this week troops!

We’ll be back with a CUP SPECIAL on Mon 27th Nov, where we look back at the big Challenge Cup win over Dundee United, the upcoming Scottish Cup tie v Formartine United (H) on Sat plus the Fortress Brockville event on Fri night at the Inchyra👇🏼

🎟️ Some tickets remain…. https://ticket.falkirkfc.co.uk/packages/LZEmOKzmpW/e/QKwGZMVnpX 

IMG_5999.thumb.jpeg.b46f9c589d5cca6d3bd13027625a690d.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

How did he manage 14 goals in 35 games in season 69/70? Phenomenal for a defender!

He was the penalty taker. AFAIK he only missed one, v Dundee Utd, when he slipped just as he made contact with the ball.

28 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He was the penalty taker. AFAIK he only missed one, v Dundee Utd, when he slipped just as he made contact with the ball.

Remember that the studs slipped just on impact.

Was always the same. Left side foot hit hard 1 ft above the ground aimed at the side netting.

Ball went in about 1 ft in from the post. every goalie knew where it was going but nobody saved them.

Miller called it 'The Claw' what a left foot, what a footballing center back.

Another moment was the injury time goal direct from a corner at Brockville to beat the Pars 3 - 2 

Was at the Watson Street corner my usual stance 2nd along from the corner flag 2nd in.

What a moment what a memory. Mega pish up in the Royal Bar after the game to celebrate

Just now, RC55 FFC said:

Was 843 (from memory) last week when they sent the latest number to the podcast. 

Getting to the 1000 mark by the end of the season would be a huge success imo. Despite some members of the board insisting it needs 2-2500 to be successful. Aware I’m rehashing old ground thought. 

20 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Okay, here we go. In 92/93 he played 16 league games, 3 of which were in midfield as McLaughlin and Duffy were the centre half pairing at that point (the season Hughes, McLaughlin and Baptie had SIX long injury lay-offs between them). 

93/94 he played 28 (1) out of 44 (another long injury lay-off at the start of the season) When he came  back the centre half pairing was McLaughlin and Weir, with Duffy at right back so at this point he was put into midfield for about 12-14 games. He was eventually put into centre half for the run-in for that title-winning season. 

94/95 he pretty much missed the first half of the season, had to come off the bench a few times, a little bit at full-back before, again, reclaiming his place at centre half  in the run-in.

Sorry but had to check regarding the 25%.

Hughes played 253 times for us(8 as a sub).

Just using starts, from 2002-2006 he played 95 times and all as a centre half(if my memory serves right). 

90/91: 6/36(first appearance 2/3/91?)

91/92: 42/42 

92/93: 16/19

93/94: 26/35

94/95: 14/18

That makes it an overall total of 199/245 starts as a centre half so it’s around 81%.

Yogi is actually our most successful player ever, having played every time we have won the 2nd tier title: in 90/91, 93/94, 02/03 and 04/05. Also won the challenge cup in 93/94 and 04/05.

Well deserving of his place in the Legends Stand.

Edited by Dave McInally

3 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

Sorry but had to check regarding the 25%.

Hughes played 253 times for us(8 as a sub).

Just using starts, from 2002-2006 he played 95 times and all as a centre half(if my memory serves right). 

90/91: 6/36(first appearance 2/3/91?)

91/92: 42/42 

92/93: 16/19

93/94: 28/35

94/95: 14/18

That makes it an overall total of 201/245 starts as a centre half so it’s 82%.

Yogi is actually our most successful player ever, having played every time we have won the 2nd tier title: in 90/91, 93/94, 02/03 and 04/05. Also won the challenge cup in 93/94 and 04/05.

Well deserving of his place in the Legends Stand.

That's how I remember it. I don't mind him ever playing much in the middle after that first season.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Will Falkirk TV be streaming the cup game v Formartine on Saturday to outwith the UK? Can't see any mention of it on their website, so I'm assuming no..

I'm sure they will. Usually later in the week when they put up the matchday guide it confirms it. Can't see any reason why not with it being at home.

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That's how I remember it. I don't mind him ever playing much in the middle after that first season.

Yeh played as Centre Half in just over 90% of matches after that first season. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I'm sure they will. Usually later in the week when they put up the matchday guide it confirms it. Can't see any reason why not with it being at home.

Do they usually show the Scottish Cup matches? I'll actually be genuinely abroad for it :lol: