The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

Ian Sneddon we're talking about here. He's arguably the worst ref I've ever seen. Sure it was him when we played Kelty Hearts at home earlier in the season and our players kept getting booked for soft fouls, meanwhile they were getting away with murder. Utterly woeful referee.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

I've called him a lot worse things than "Ian" let me tell you 🤣

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Was the same guy. He’s an absolute buffoon. 

Not wishing to defend the ref too much as he is an utter clown but he did also give us that dodgy penalty at Kelty this season. 

Two wrongs don't make a right so crack on with the slating of him

9 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Not wishing to defend the ref too much as he is an utter clown but he did also give us that dodgy penalty at Kelty this season. 

Two wrongs don't make a right so crack on with the slating of him

We've benefited from a couple of dodgy pen calls because of him, but he's still absolutely woeful. What chance have you got though when the so-called best refs like Nick Walsh give pens like the one against Coll that Ayr got last season. I still have no idea what it was given for. Our best refs are pish, never mind the ones we regularly have to contend with.

Based on the Sky stats.

Against Cove we had 49% possession, 61% against Edinburgh. So 25% more of the ball yesterday.

Against Cove we had 14 shots, 25 against Edinburgh. 79% more than Tuesday night.

Against Cove we had 10 on target, 11 against Edinburgh. 10% more than Tuesday night.

Against Cove they had 0 efforts on target, Edinburgh had 2 and scored 2. A 100% success rate. If we had that we'd have won 11-2.

Disappointed with the result but there's nothing in the stats that should worry us really (beyond the ratio of goals to shots), it has more the look of a freak result than anything else. Particularly given the team selection. Remember, the first Edinburgh came from a corner that wasn't a corner. That's us played Edinburgh three times and they've made it tough for us each time, particularly the last two. 

Yes, it's disappointing to drop 2 points but anybody there could see it wasn't down to a lack of effort or determination from the players and I thought the EC players worked their socks off and fought for everything - they were streets ahead Cove and Queen of the South for spirit and effort.

Edited by AJ1981

1 hour ago, BPM Again said:

I would be better on the bench than Lawal 

He’s barely had any time on the pitch this season but did have a great game against Ayr in the cup. 

The point was more about Morrison being on the bench if unfit to play a part. He could have put Thomas Gibb, Cooper Knox, Shay Burke, Harrison Howe, Caleon Macrone or Cameron McNab on the bench instead and give Morrison the day off. 

On the point of Lawal though, if McGlynn doesn’t deem him good enough then wasn’t a great idea to give him an extended contract as it’s just more money wasted, that we can ill afford to lose. 

Edited by Dave McInally

2 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

Making 5 changes at half then was a crazy decision too as could have left us a man down if anyone got injured. 

McGlynn obviously panicked thinking I've fucked up big time here with the team selection and formation, thought two nil down we need goals and quickly, take your point though, leaving our most dangerous player on the bench was a mad shout aswell. 

On a slightly lighter note;

1) It shows you how much the sands have shifted this season when I was clamouring for the majority of the first half for Nesbitt to be brought on :lol: He really has looked a different player these last few months.

2) Having thought about it, I think there is a mention for the fans yesterday which hasn't been brought up. Of course there were some serious grumbles in the first half when we were playing shite, but in the main, I think the fans actually stuck with the team for the entire game yesterday. Even last season, if we'd gone 2-0 down in the manner we did, the boos would have started, but that didn't really happen. It's a reminder of how much things have changed this season and how we can't let yesterday derail us in any way.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

58 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

2) Having thought about it, I think there is a mention for the fans yesterday which hasn't been brought up. Of course there were some serious grumbles in the first half when we were playing shite, but in the main, I think the fans actually stuck with the team for the entire game yesterday. Even last season, if we'd gone 2-0 down in the manner we did, the boos would have started, but that didn't really happen. It's a reminder of how much things have changed this season and how we can't let yesterday derail us in any way.

Noticed that too re: the fans. We certainly stuck with the team even having gone 2-0 down, stayed supportive and positive. Wouldn’t have been the case in previous years but I think the team have earned a little ‘slack’ having gone 25 (now 26) unbeaten.

all talk of being unbeaten has to stop, it means nothing until the last game of the season and even then only if we win the league. We got off with one yesterday, albeit we could have been 3 up before Edinburgh scored but chances are not goals.

Back to playing ours strongest team every game please

Edited by ChrispPancake

12 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

all talk of being unbeaten has to stop, it means nothing until the last game of the season and even then only if we win the league. We got off with one yesterday, albeit we could have been 3 up before Edinburgh scored but chances are not goals.

Back to playing ours strongest team every game please

As fans, I think it’s a nice bonus to enjoy this unbeaten run. Of course, winning the league is the priority though.

On the point of Lawal though, if McGlynn doesn’t deem him good enough then wasn’t a great idea to give him an extended contract as it’s just more money wasted, that we can ill afford to lose. 

Extended by one year, while two years were given to 5 of the other 6 summer signings. We've all seen Ola has real talent but is inconsistent and appears to lack focus at times, perhaps the manger took the view he was worth a gamble? Or the contract was offered on an understanding he'd take certain things on board, which he didn't or couldn't. Who knows. I don't have much experience recruiting people, but my wife does and she always says every appointment is a calculated risk.  

3 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

Extended by one year, while two years were given to 5 of the other 6 summer signings. We've all seen Ola has real talent but is inconsistent and appears to lack focus at times, perhaps the manger took the view he was worth a gamble? Or the contract was offered on an understanding he'd take certain things on board, which he didn't or couldn't. Who knows. I don't have much experience recruiting people, but my wife does and she always says every appointment is a calculated risk.  

Correct every signing is a risk. I certainly thought Ola would have been a regular, but we don’t see what goes on behind closed doors. He’s also fighting for a starting berth in a midfield that virtually picks itself at present. Of the few chances he was given, didn’t really look that interested.

16 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

Would generally agree had he been a new signing but to give him a year extension after having a full season with him then oust him out with very little game time seems like a waste.

Hard to show any consistency too when he’s only started 4 games, with none of them being consecutive matches. As I said before too, he played a great game against Ayr in the Challenge Cup. 

13 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Would generally agree had he been a new signing but to give him a year extension after having a full season with him then oust him out with very little game time seems like a waste.

Hard to show any consistency too when he’s only started 4 games, with none of them being consecutive matches. As I said before too, he played a great game against Ayr in the Challenge Cup. 

As things stand, I think I'd be bringing Ola on before Alfie at the moment!

He’s barely had any time on the pitch this season but did have a great game against Ayr in the cup. 

The point was more about Morrison being on the bench if unfit to play a part. He could have put Thomas Gibb, Cooper Knox, Shay Burke, Harrison Howe, Caleon Macrone or Cameron McNab on the bench instead and give Morrison the day off. 

Dave

I have no idea why he is out the picture now. I can only assume he is not putting or in on the training pitch as when he has played this season, outside the DU LC tie he has done ok.

If he was he certainly showed signs last season and this he has ability. On those signs I think McGlynn did the right thing resigning him. 

On your earlier point on 2/3 of the younger lads I think I will trust McGlynn and Smith’s judgement on where they are in terms of their development. Would either of those played much behind the four wide players we have? You and I know the answer is no so they are best going out and getting game time at a half decent level. If they are good enough they will have kicked on and be in a good position to push on with us next season. 

Just now, ShaggerG said:

As things stand, I think I'd be bringing Ola on before Alfie at the moment!

As Agyeman tends to come on in the second half, and my season ticket is in the KM7, I get a great view of him most weeks. He's just so frustrating to watch. The amount of times he'll beat his man, hit the byline, then take a touch, another touch, allow the beaten defender time to recover and then he'll shoot from literally the byline is maddening. It's honestly all he does at the moment. Needs to improve his end product and his decision making big time or he has no long-term future here. 

16 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

He did well at Ayr, but he's not impressed in his other games or in the reserve cup. One thing for sure, McGlynn knows more than we do, so I'd be inclined to trust his judgement above anybody on here - including myself. .  

3 hours ago, BPM Again said:

Dave

I have no idea why he is out the picture now. I can only assume he is not putting or in on the training pitch as when he has played this season, outside the DU LC tie he has done ok.

If he was he certainly showed signs last season and this he has ability. On those signs I think McGlynn did the right thing resigning him. 

On your earlier point on 2/3 of the younger lads I think I will trust McGlynn and Smith’s judgement on where they are in terms of their development. Would either of those played much behind the four wide players we have? You and I know the answer is no so they are best going out and getting game time at a half decent level. If they are good enough they will have kicked on and be in a good position to push on with us next season. 

That was the point though. There’s 2 or 3 of those players that might not have been necessary to bring in and instead give Honeyman and Walker more opportunities in our first team instead.

The BoD have backed him to the hilt when finances are very tight so if he is saying some of these players aren’t good enough then it’s on him. The only one tying up a wage now that he doesn’t seem to rate is McKay. 

Edited by Dave McInally

9 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

He did well at Ayr, but he's not impressed in his other games or in the reserve cup. One thing for sure, McGlynn knows more than we do, so I'd be inclined to trust his judgement above anybody on here - including myself. .  

Left a defender on his arse when he scored at Alloa.

2 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

That was the point though. There’s 2 or 3 of those players that might not have been necessary to bring in and given Honeyman and Walker more opportunities in our first team instead.

The BoD have backed him to the hilt when finances are very tight so if he is saying some of these players aren’t good enough then it’s on him. The only one thing up a wage now that he doesn’t seem to rate is McKay. 

It's absolutely on the manager. the development of the young lads will be better if they're playing IMHO. All clubs send their youngsters out on loan to benefit from game time. 

5 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

That was the point though. There’s 2 or 3 of those players that might not have been necessary to bring in and instead give Honeyman and Walker more opportunities in our first team instead.

The BoD have backed him to the hilt when finances are very tight so if he is saying some of these players aren’t good enough then it’s on him. The only one thing up a wage now that he doesn’t seem to rate is McKay. 

Unrealistic expectations. Not a manager in the world gets every contract correct. Guardiola goes through about 3 duds for every success. Mcglynn’s success rate has been remarkable