The get fit, stay fit thread

Wow, brotacular.

If you're trying to gain weight on 3,500 calories a day, why live off of boring shit? Food types don't have a direct impact on body composition, so for general health and satiety eat mainly nutritious whole foods whilst filling in your discretionary calories (of which you have loads) with stuff you actually enjoy.

Weight gain shakes are a total waste of money. Just eat food, food

Sorry deleted the last few words off.

Didn't think the food I ate was that boring tbh. Ha. Don't really find it a struggle, although advice on different things to eat would be good.

As for the weight gain shakes, I have been having them because they are cheap. It's about a pound a shake which isn't really that bad.

Saw some decent results so far, but obviously any advice that could help would be good.

Have a quick gander at this;

http://scoobysworksh...rie-calculator/

I've read that, as a rule of thumb, if your aim is to bulk up, figure out your basal metabolic rate (number of calories your body uses each day based on age/weight/height/activity level) and eat about 500 calories more than that along with your resistance training. Any more than that and you'll be putting on too much fat along with muscle.

Conversely, if you're looking to lose weight, again figure out your basal metabolic rate and eat about 500 calories fewer than that, while still doing resistance training to burn calories/retain muscle mass. Any more than that and you're losing too much muscle along with fat.

As mhak says, as long as you're getting all your nutrients from your diet and getting the right amount of calories for your goals (the laws of thermodynamics are great because of how simple they make the whole process!) you're on the right track.

Cheers. I'll have a look at that too. :)

:oops

Another one I always forget is fat impact; saturated fat (often found in large quantities in processed/fast food) raises bad cholestarol, dietary fat (often found in natural sources like olive oil) raises good cholestarol. It's something like CDL and LDL cholestarol but I can never remember it for the life of me, just that saturated fat = bad and should generally be cut down/consumed in low quantities, dietary fat = good.

The saturated fat scare's actually been discredited, at least to an extent...a little saturated fat in the diet isn't anything to worry about. Obviously it's still better to be getting more of the recognised 'healthy' fats, but I wouldn't stress it too much. Trans fats are more of an issue, and should be cut back on. Again, though, most people will enjoy certain foods that contain them and overly restrictive diets lead to the development of unhealthy attitudes. Individual foods shouldn't really be considered healthy or unhealthy outside of the context of overall diet.

Sorry deleted the last few words off.

Didn't think the food I ate was that boring tbh. Ha. Don't really find it a struggle, although advice on different things to eat would be good.

As for the weight gain shakes, I have been having them because they are cheap. It's about a pound a shake which isn't really that bad.

Saw some decent results so far, but obviously any advice that could help would be good.

Advice on different things to eat? You're missing my point here. Within moderation, you can eat anything at all provided that you're getting a sufficient level of micronutrients (which you are) and your macronutrient intakes are right (basically the right amount of calories, the right amount of protein - looks like you're probably taking in more than you need if anything - and sufficent levels of dietary fat, with the remaining calories filled in through carbs and fat to preference).

The only thing here is to use your common sense and practice all things in moderation. The fitness industry is so full of pointless, extreme advice (eat no carbs! eat no starchy carbs! eat like a caveman! eat 36 eggs a day!) that people forget how to just use common sense. I know because I've been there, I've eaten like a bro and the results are no different. Stick to mainly the kinds of whole foods you're having for general health, energy levels and satiety (although you actually might not want to be too satiated if your aim is to gain weight), but don't be scared to include the odd treat without having to feel like you're having a 'cheat day' (there is zero benefit to scheduling 'cheat days' if you're trying to gain weight anyway).

If you feel uncomfortable about including the odd bit of 'bad' carbs or 'bad' fats, take a look at the ingredients of those weight gainer shakes; you're already doing it anyway.

Thanks. Aye, it's not like I worry about eating different foods. What's there is mainly for ease at the supermarket and I quite like what im eating, but I'll still have the odd steak an chips, a pizza every so often. Had an Indian yesterday for my lunch as I was at college.

Thanks. Aye, it's not like I worry about eating different foods. What's there is mainly for ease at the supermarket and I quite like what im eating, but I'll still have the odd steak an chips, a pizza every so often. Had an Indian yesterday for my lunch as I was at college.

Ah right, fair enough then. I'm actually pretty much the same, in that I eat mainly the same things I did when I was obsessed with 'eating clean' because that's what I actually enjoy...even if it was to somehow turn out that they weren't any better for me than chocolate bars and crisps I'd still eat salad and plain, steamed vegetables every day because I enjoy them and they make me feel a lot better energy wise than other foods. Eating ready meals regularly would be my idea of hell as I enjoy cooking and it's not even like the majority of them taste good (again, though, they're okay in moderation. Sometimes I'll buy one if I've got a lot of coursework due at uni or whatever).

Going off at a tangent about pizza, it's actually a strange food in that it's considered junk food but if you look at a micronutrient profile for one it's actually usually really pretty good. Obviously it'll depend on the pizza in question and portion sizes will vary, but I really see no reason why active individuals shouldn't be able to eat pizza every day if it's what they want to do.

Ah right, fair enough then. I'm actually pretty much the same, in that I eat mainly the same things I did when I was obsessed with 'eating clean' because that's what I actually enjoy...even if it was to somehow turn out that they weren't any better for me than chocolate bars and crisps I'd still eat salad and plain, steamed vegetables every day because I enjoy them and they make me feel a lot better energy wise than other foods. Eating ready meals regularly would be my idea of hell as I enjoy cooking and it's not even like the majority of them taste good (again, though, they're okay in moderation. Sometimes I'll buy one if I've got a lot of coursework due at uni or whatever).

Going off at a tangent about pizza, it's actually a strange food in that it's considered junk food but if you look at a micronutrient profile for one it's actually usually really pretty good. Obviously it'll depend on the pizza in question and portion sizes will vary, but I really see no reason why active individuals shouldn't be able to eat pizza every day if it's what they want to do.

Slightly off on a tangent, but I remember something about Triple H (the pro wrestler who is fucking huge) saying he loves pizza and eats it near enough every day. Obviously he'll be doing a ridiculous amount of physical exercise and it depends on the toppings, whether its deep fried etc. but yeah, "as part of an active and healthy lifestyle" you can eat pretty much anything. Edit: so long as you're getting the right calories for your body goals and the correct nutrients.

Saying that; most vegetables are pretty vital to eat because they contain nutrients that the human body can't synthesize easilly itself. I struggle at times to get my "5 a day" but I like snacking on carrot sticks and I'm trying to get more portions of veg along with my dinner.

Pretty sure Patrice Evra loves Burger King too, come to think of it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Slightly off on a tangent, but I remember something about Triple H (the pro wrestler who is fucking huge) saying he loves pizza and eats it near enough every day. Obviously he'll be doing a ridiculous amount of physical exercise and it depends on the toppings, whether its deep fried etc. but yeah, "as part of an active and healthy lifestyle" you can eat pretty much anything. Edit: so long as you're getting the right calories for your body goals and the correct nutrients.

Saying that; most vegetables are pretty vital to eat because they contain nutrients that the human body can't synthesize easilly itself. I struggle at times to get my "5 a day" but I like snacking on carrot sticks and I'm trying to get more portions of veg along with my dinner.

Pretty sure Patrice Evra loves Burger King too, come to think of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Basically, as well as getting the right calories/macros you also need to be getting micronutrient sufficiency for any number of reasons...it won't directly impact upon physique, but paying attention to diet and not actually being healthy would be stupid. It would actually also impact indirectly on physique through poor performance, higher risk of injury and illness, etc. It's about the difference between having a healthy overall diet and assigning the labels of 'healthy' and 'unhealthy' to individual foods.

A good way of getting your veggies is to eat a side salad along with pretty much any meal. I just had a tuna salad involving spinach, cucumber, red pepper and a grated carrot, so that's four in one meal. I aim for a minimum of eight servings of fruit/veg a day, with the majority coming from veg. Today'll work out as six veg, three fruit.

Triple H was probably on vitamin S so could get away with a shoddy diet.

Suppose you could get your vitamins, minerals and fibre from a pill but vegies are great. Roast vegies are braw.

I'd tend to disagree with this. If you're seriously overweight to begin with then you can drop a bit of weight just by 'cleaning up' your diet but that'll stall eventually.

I'd also disagree that it's a difficult thing to do. This guy's video explains it very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoB01gFD7ZQ&feature=plcp

I don't think tracking your intake is hard. It just becomes pretty laborious though, weighing and measuring everything then logging it onto myfitnesspal or whatever.

I don't think tracking your intake is hard. It just becomes pretty laborious though, weighing and measuring everything then logging it onto myfitnesspal or whatever.

If you're eating something regularly, it doesn't take long before you're able to eyeball portion sizes accurately. I only really weigh/measure really calorie dense items or things that I don't eat regularly.

Edit: as far as the Triple H thing goes, he may well have been/probably was 'assisted', but I'd still say that active people who pay attention to macros and micros can get away with pizza on a daily basis if they really, really want to. Obviously portion size is vital, though; I make stuff like that a less regular treat because if I'm eating a pizza, I'm eating the whole thing in one sitting.

Edited by Mak

I've fallen horribly off the wagon since the middle of September, turning 30, having a few birthday binges, and then 5 days away for the Scotland games and I've put on half a stone in that time- so I feel a bit embarrassed contributing to this, but up until that point I had been making a spreadsheet of the things I ate the most and their protein / fat / carb composition, which made it easier to keep track of.

I also believe it's easier to think of getting your daily allocation "veg and fruit" rather than "fruit and veg"- I find eating a lot of fruit quite difficult but eating lots of veg quite easy.

Not done any exercise since last Tuesday due to being away on the double header, think I may die tomorrow when I try something.

Same. Although, if the last few pages are anything to go by then, I should be fine as I have lived off pizzas and burger kings the last few days.

What's the recommended calorie intake if you plan on shedding some weight? About 500 calories from what you used to take?

I've been on the exercise bike at least an hour everyday since I planned on getting fitter a couple days ago plus I've been drinking green tea which is an effective appetite suppressant. During calorie counting I've noticed my intake to be between 1000-1500 calories max a day purely because I'm not hungry but is that a safe amount as long as I try get the correct nutrients in the food I eat?

What's the recommended calorie intake if you plan on shedding some weight? About 500 calories from what you used to take?

I've been on the exercise bike at least an hour everyday since I planned on getting fitter a couple days ago plus I've been drinking green tea which is an effective appetite suppressant. During calorie counting I've noticed my intake to be between 1000-1500 calories max a day purely because I'm not hungry but is that a safe amount as long as I try get the correct nutrients in the food I eat?

500 calories less is kinda recommended, but do some reading on the difference between 'losing weight' and 'burning fat'.

Edited by Gaz

It's got nothing to do with what you used to take and everything to do with what your body needs to stay the same weight. This will depend largely upon age, (lean) body mass and activity level. After that, you remove 10-20% from your maintenance figure to lose weight effectively and consistently.

For pretty much any active male, 1000-1500 is too low. Chronically low calorie intake will make it difficult/impossible to get the right nutrients from food (you might hit micronutrient goals, but macronutrients are vital too) and result in all kinds of problems including decreased hormone production and eventually such a reduction in your metabolism that you'll stop losing weight but still feel like shit. It might sound counterintuitive to tell you to eat more, but seriously: you could do yourself serious damage if you were to keep eating as little as that.

I know that a lot of the things that I recommend on here might sound a bit too 'science-y' for some people and I understand that my lifestyle isn't for everyone, but at least use an online calculator to give a rough estimate of how much you should be burning daily and reduce 10-20% from that even if you don't want to think about macros or any of that stuff. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you're just starting out you actually shouldn't watch macros but should have a rough idea of how many calories you're burning.

Keep that up, weigh yourself consistently and adjust accordingly (ie, reduce intake only if you aren't losing weight in practice; any equation or calculator will only give an estimate).

I've been gradually getting back into my old routine since my rather unpleasant ankle dislocation at the end of July. I've managed to shift 8lbs of the 12lbs i put on through sitting about, eating not that well and doing f**k all.

I've had to make a few changes though, i can't play football any more, and i'm not ready for outdoor running yet, so my routine is something like:

- 30mins HIIT on cross trainer (30 secs @ 160strides/min on resistance 8, 30secs @200+ strides/min on resistance 12) for 20 mins, using the 5 either side as warm up/cool down - I do this at lunchtimes.

- 3 sets of 10 reps of weights (lat pull down, seated leg press, abs, chest press, bicep curl and tricep press) - early evening

- RPM (spin class) 45 mins - after weights

I do the above every Mon/Wed/Fri and am combining this with better eating, and less alcohol. In terms of food i've done the following:

- binned fizzy drinks in favour of either milk, water or no added sugar diluting juice

- Use quorn substitutes for mince/chicken dishes

- Use wholemeal rice and pasta

- avoid shite like chocolate and crisps

- no takeaways

Definitely feeling a shiteload fitter and healthier. For anyone looking to make a start of getting fit, i can't recommend RPM/Spin highly enough.

I'm in full squash mode now so I don't really need to be training much at all. Playing games is more than enough. Just light weight stuff and chin ups and I'm blasting into the Tabata workout every other day. It really helps with the squash as you are into full anaerobic mode quite often during long rallies so recovery is obviously vital especially as you only get ninety seconds rest between SETS. And you get f**k all time between pooints unless you have those shoelaces that constantly need sorted like me...dry.gif I had some post virus nonsense going on for a while over the summer that I couldnt shake properly but I'm through it and feel much better and am enjoying the exercise again as it has a point to it now I'm back playing.:D

What I've been doing is eating a diet of:

Breakfast: Brown toast with either egg or fish OR Porridge

Snack: Protein shake OR some fruit OR Seafood sticks

Lunch: Chicken/Fish with Baked Potato/Wrap

Snack: Same as before

Dinner: Meat and Green Veg OR a wrap with chicken or fish with the green veg in it too.

Snack: Fruit and natural yoghurt.

I'm doing this along with a weightlifting programme, but was thinking about doing the weight programme along with Insanity on cardio days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) with a cheat meal on the Saturday too.

Thanks for all the advice so far

Do you like fish sticks? Do you like putting them in your mouth?

Getting pretty into this now tbh, well the diet part anyway (haven't been able to run for a few weeks due to a troublesome, niggly ankle problem). There's a cracking load of information on here, and mhak really seems to know his stuff, but from what I'm doing as follows diet-wise, is there anything horrific that could halt my progress in a big way?

Breakfast - Bowl of Oatibix and a Cup of Tea

Snack - Banana

Mid Morning - Go-Ahead Apple Bar

Lunch - Chicken Wrap

Mid Afternoon - Fruit (maybe another banana)

Dinner - Stir Fry or Meat with Veg

There's probably a bit too many carbs in there? And in short, is there a 'best' or 'worst' time to eat your daily carbs?

I'm trying to shed quite a few pounds and hopefully gain some definition as well, while getting fitter throughout. Once my ankle issue clears up, I also plan to run (around 8k in one go) and play 5's once a week.

Any advice or help appreciated.