best/worst chain restaurant

mungo

Not a lot of chat about Subway in this thread which leads me to believe people think it is just alright. There used to be two Quiznos in Glasgow city centre that were miles better than subway (if slightly more expensive) gutted when they both closed. Tried Baguette Express a couple of times, ok grub but depending on staffing it isn't always fast food. My favourite thing right now is Pinto, it is just round the corner from my flat and if I'm feeling starving the burrito will fill you up. It is actually not bad for a quick sit down as well and you can get a beer too which pushes it well above subway when it comes to a mid-session interval.

I tried Quiznos in America and thought it was pretty decent, so I was quite happy to see it open here. It was a wee bit better than subway quality wise, but they never seemed to have any deals on like subway do, so you were the best part of 6 quid for an average roast beef and cheese sandwich, a draught drink and a pack of Walkers.

Will need to try some of these Mexican places, there was a wee one in Great Western Road that was good but I think that was independent, and it was only ever an option if you were passing, too far away from city centre.

Fuddruckers in the US was tremendous for burgers. I made the mistake of liking them on Facebook. Every other day now I'm tormented with tales of their foods. As for steakhouses Anthony and Vic's would take some beating although it cost a fortune.

Will need to try some of these Mexican places, there was a wee one in Great Western Road that was good but I think that was independent, and it was only ever an option if you were passing, too far away from city centre.

Don't waste your time with Pinto and their meaty beans, it makes Tacky Bell in the States seem top quality. That and you have the Subway problem of multiple staff who can only add one thing to the wrap so it takes forever!

We still have a wimpy and its open til two in the morning (its joined onto a nightclub).

Someone in aberdeen might be able to help me, I had an excellent Italian meal in a chain restaurant in York, their only Scottish branch is in aberdeen but I can't remember the name.

Edit to say its called "Ask"

The York one was excellent, has anyone used the Aberdeen one?

Edited by CLANCY2KTID

We still have a wimpy and its open til two in the morning (its joined onto a nightclub).

Someone in aberdeen might be able to help me, I had an excellent Italian meal in a chain restaurant in York, their only Scottish branch is in aberdeen but I can't remember the name.

Edit to say its called "Ask"

The York one was excellent, has anyone used the Aberdeen one?

They have one in Livingston. Been open a year or so - poor when it first opened, but quality of service and food has improved markedly.

They have one in Livingston. Been open a year or so - poor when it first opened, but quality of service and food has improved markedly.

Been to the Aberdeen and Glasgow ones and they're both pretty good considering they are chains. Pretty similar to Zizzi's/Prezzo/Pizza Express etc

I didn't realise there were more now, was only the Aberdeen one when I was in York. There are quite a few south of the border though.

Think I was being a bit frugal with my dates, the Livingston one's been open at least 2 years.laugh.gif

• 2 years later...

Bump. Going to make a prediction that 'Burger', the new erm, burger restaurant in Fountainbridge will start popping up all over the joint. Lots of gimmicky brand stuff going on and their menus etc talk about their 'restaurants'.

Really good value for money. Similar set up to Nandos but much, much (much) better and more beef orientated. Very tidy.

All the GBK's (Gourmet Burger Kitchen) I've been to in London have been superb. I think the only one in Scotland is in Edinburgh, not been there.

Worst is KFC

I'll change mine to Weatherspoons. The last 5 or so times I've ordered food, they've clearly not listened to my request for a "plain burger", which, if they're reading this, means f**k all else on it apart from the meat. Get the salad and shite away from it.

I might go back in and see if it happens again, after filming it I'll gladly pass the footage onto the manager to tell him how shite his staff are. It's reasonable value for money but it's really not difficult to listen to the customers.

Edited by Svoboda

Wagamama is excellent for a chain restaurant IMO. Love their duck gyozas. Gourmet Burger Kitchen is also decent.

For value for money, Pizza Express used to be amazing (might still be but I haven't been in awhile). If you were on their mailing list you could show the code and get a starter, 10" pizza and bottle of peroni/glass of wine for £10.