What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Under The Skin 9/10
Wow. Incredible, elemental and haunting. One of the most singular and effective films I've seen in years. Impressively otherworldly and deeply moving

Some of this was filmed in the village where I live

Suicide Squad: not quite as bad as Superman vs Batman.

Wish I'd seen it earlier so they could've put that on the posters. I'd imagine it's the best review it's had.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad only because I watched it with zero expectations. The reviews were terrible but it was nowhere near as bad as I had expected.

On a better note I recorded and watched 'Killer Joe' which is Matthew Mcconaughey's best performance and is one of the most unsettling films I've seen. Not a film to watch if you're at a low ebb but one of the best indie films of recent years 

Suicide Squad: not quite as bad as Superman vs Batman.
Wish I'd seen it earlier so they could've put that on the posters. I'd imagine it's the best review it's had.

I watched both over the last couple of days and enjoyed Batman v Superman alot more. I was really looking forward to Suicide Squad when the trailers came out but I just didn't find it that exciting or interesting when watching it last night!

The 33 - about the Chilean mine rescue in 2010. I watched the miners being brought out at the time and remember thinking "This is going to be a film someday". It stars Antonio Banderas and Cote de Pablo (Ziva from NCIS). Like Apollo 13 it's one of those films where you know the ending but it's still tense stuff.

I watched both over the last couple of days and enjoyed Batman v Superman alot more. I was really looking forward to Suicide Squad when the trailers came out but I just didn't find it that exciting or interesting when watching it last night!

Suicide Squad looked outstanding with the early, darker, trailers. It's a shame they went so "quirky" with it.

Silence 6.5/10

Two 17th century European priests played by Barry Gibb and Joey Ramone go to priest-hating Japan to find another priest who has stopped writing boring-sounding letters home.

Lets get the actual problems out the way: Japanese people routinely struggle with European languages in 2016 so how convenient that in 1640 every man  jack speaks reasonably good English (Portuguese actually but whatever) and also it throttles the drama when the priest they're looking for is a big ticket actor like Liam Neeson. OF COURSE he's coming back/being found. Right.

Whilst long, difficult, and quite grey, this is a nuanced and intelligent film about faith, imperialism, rejection of globalist/imperial postmodernism, corporeality vs the transcendental, and a bunch of other things. Scorcese's made long films about religious matters before, but this reminds as much of Apocalypse Now - a deepening journey into the heart of something other guided by nothing other than ideology - as Pasolini in his radical love of a potentially radical Christ or a cultural catholic like Breeson.

It's grim and grey and not terrifically entertaining. It's also classic Oscar bait. I didn't love it, but it sent me home with my head spinning with thoughts of Augustine and John Milbank, the latter of whom says "Atheism is bourgeois oppression. Atheism is the opium of the people - it claims to discover an ontology which precludes all hope. [...] we need now to celebrate instead the faithful legacy of peasants..." - something which I honestly think Star Wars could look to and learn from, in its own way, if it wants to be great

Separation 6.5/10

The story of the mind of a woman approaching middle age, having ended a marriage. Part nouvelle vague, part swinging London. Not quite up there with the other Jane Arden stuff but engaging and affecting enough

Under The Skin - 2/10. I probably didn't 'get' it.

Man Vs Snake - 8/10. Very good documentary about a man who tries to break the world record for the arcade game Nibbler. Very like King Of Kong (Billy Mitchell appears in this film numerous times) but I loved it. 

Silence - 2/10. Utter gash. The 2 is solely for Adam Driver who put in a passable performance. Other than that, I didn't enjoy this at all.

Dog Eat Dog

Batshit mental crime drama adapted from Eddie Bunker's novel. Not sure how to rate it, it really is bonkers. Rapid cutting,spaghetti western type violence and unfortunately wafer thin plot. But its very watchable and Willem Dafoe as always is brilliant. I'll go 6/10

Edited by Jupiter Jazz